Help finding gears - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 11-21-2015, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Help finding gears

I'm re-gearing my jeep soon from 3.21 to 4.88 or 5.13 as I just got some 35's for it and maybe after these would like to go up to 37's. Can anyone help me out and suggest a good place to buy gears online with good pricing and any other input would be appreciated . Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-21-2015, 10:44 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkproject2013 View Post
I'm re-gearing my jeep soon from 3.21 to 4.88 or 5.13 as I just got some 35's for it and maybe after these would like to go up to 37's. Can anyone help me out and suggest a good place to buy gears online with good pricing and any other input would be appreciated . Thanks
Northridge4x4.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 Old 11-22-2015, 05:19 PM
Rock God

Garage

Depends on your engine. 3.6 would be okay with 4.88's for 37's, if you have the 3.8 I'd go 5.13 for 35's or 37's.

Second question ; www.rivercityoffroad.com has packages.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 11-22-2015, 05:38 PM
Granite Guru

if you are running dana 30 up front i would be leery of running 5.13s. if not, please consider this quote i try to share with everyone choosing gears:

Quote:
3.6L JK
3.21 Gearing on stock tires = 3.73 gearing on 35" tires = 4.10 gearing on 37" tires (basically a base JK feel.)
3.73 Gearing on stock tires = 4.10 gearing on 35" tires = 4.56 gearing on 37" tires (basically a JKU with the max tow package feel.)
4.10 Gearing on stock tires = 4.56 gearing on 35" tires = 4.88 gearing on 37" tires (basically a Rubicon feel.)

2013 JKUR Billet Silver ->
[JKUR - 6 Speed][3.5" MC ARB Lift][40" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" TR Beadlocks][5.38s][Fusion 4x4 Kingpin 1 Tons][MC Front & Rear Bumpers][sPOD][Warn Zeon 10s][And more ...]

|
post #5 of 17 Old 11-23-2015, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalearyous View Post
if you are running dana 30 up front i would be leery of running 5.13s. if not, please consider this quote i try to share with everyone choosing gears:
why's that apprehension for 5.13s on the D30 dalearyous? Pinion size? I know plenty of folks running 5.13s on non-rubicons......
just curious....

post #6 of 17 Old 11-23-2015, 06:28 AM
JKowners Vendor

Also if your running 3.21's, make sure you get a new carrier for the front. You will need it. And if it is not to late... we sell gears as well. Ours are Yukon:
http://www.krawloff-road.com/product_p/gearmaster.htm
Forum discount as well...

-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #7 of 17 Old 11-23-2015, 08:48 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
why's that apprehension for 5.13s on the D30 dalearyous? Pinion size? I know plenty of folks running 5.13s on non-rubicons......
just curious....
yeah pretty much. i don't know anyone on 5.13s with dana 30 but i would assume smart wheeling you would be fine.

[JKUR - 6 Speed][3.5" MC ARB Lift][40" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" TR Beadlocks][5.38s][Fusion 4x4 Kingpin 1 Tons][MC Front & Rear Bumpers][sPOD][Warn Zeon 10s][And more ...]

|
post #8 of 17 Old 11-23-2015, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

I will back up and say ," I know three people that have D30s running 5.13 gears..." Instead of 'plenty' that I did on my previous post ....

post #9 of 17 Old 11-23-2015, 11:24 AM
Granite Guru

yeah, i am sure its doable. a better question would be how many people put 5.13s in a dana30 and then blew up their gears. could be another accepted forum truth when in reality its pretty rare. i don't know, i can't speak to any experience on that one.

anyway, i have 5.13s in my rig and love it everywhere except the highway (as in i don't like turning at 3k RPMs for hours). but i am only on 35s and will be on 37s in 6 months or less.

|
post #10 of 17 Old 11-23-2015, 04:32 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
I will back up and say ," I know three people that have D30s running 5.13 gears..." Instead of 'plenty' that I did on my previous post ....
well, add another, because that's what I have been running for three years ! and while I am easy with the skinny, I do wheel it very hard and purposely run stock shafts so that the u joint is the weak link, carry trail spares and throw one it when they break. Have broken 2 in the past three years.

Quote:
yeah, i am sure its doable. a better question would be how many people put 5.13s in a dana30 and then blew up their gears. could be another accepted forum truth when in reality its pretty rare. i don't know, i can't speak to any experience on that one.

anyway, i have 5.13s in my rig and love it everywhere except the highway (as in i don't like turning at 3k RPMs for hours). but i am only on 35s and will be on 37s in 6 months or less.
What year ? My 07 cruises at 2k rpm's with the 5:13 and 35's

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #11 of 17 Old 11-23-2015, 04:36 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

http://www.rivercityoffroad.com/YUKO...kmk-mbgear.htm

Everything you need with the replacement carrier for $625. I can add inner axle seals for the front for $12 if you like.

I see you have a 2013. Is it a standard or automatic? 5.13 is a lot of gear for 35s on an auto. About right for a six speed with plans of 37s in the not so distant future.

I'd be looking at 4.88s for an automatic.

Marcus

post #12 of 17 Old 11-23-2015, 05:50 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmmns View Post
What year ? My 07 cruises at 2k rpm's with the 5:13 and 35's
not possible, chart shows you at 2897rpms with manual or 2380 with auto in the 3.8 stock engine. did you calibrate your speedo?

i have '13 and at 75MPH its right around 2900rpms. my nittos run pretty true on size and i know i am about 1 MPH slow in reality.

|

Last edited by dalearyous; 11-23-2015 at 05:55 PM.
post #13 of 17 Old 11-24-2015, 05:27 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Quote:
not possible, chart shows you at 2897rpms with manual or 2380 with auto in the 3.8 stock engine. did you calibrate your speedo?
Just like your completely unreliable claim that you should be "leery" of running 5:13's in a D30, all the while having zero experience with it or even knowing anyone who runs that set up. But you saw it on the internet, so it must be true. They cant put anything on the internet that isn't true.

SO the chart says 2380, and that would make it "impossible" or "not possible" ?

2380 ! as opposed to 2000. are you aware of how close those numbers are as they pertain to rpms

yes, my speedo is calibrated. Forget what you read on the internet and get some real world experience.

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #14 of 17 Old 11-24-2015, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for all the info guys and Marcus it is an automatic and I've been leaning toward 4.88 anyways i just wanted to get some insight from people with experience. As soon as I'm ready to pull the trigger on them in a couple weeks I'll let you know Marcus you seem to have the best prices. Now i just need to find a shop in my area that will do the labor. I'm in Southern California if anyone knows one.
post #15 of 17 Old 11-24-2015, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

What i would really like is if anyone knows what they are doing and wanted to help me wrench on it I would like to learn. I would pay and have plenty of beer.
post #16 of 17 Old 11-24-2015, 07:11 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmmns View Post
Just like your completely unreliable claim that you should be "leery" of running 5:13's in a D30, all the while having zero experience with it or even knowing anyone who runs that set up. But you saw it on the internet, so it must be true. They cant put anything on the internet that isn't true.

SO the chart says 2380, and that would make it "impossible" or "not possible" ?

2380 ! as opposed to 2000. are you aware of how close those numbers are as they pertain to rpms

yes, my speedo is calibrated. Forget what you read on the internet and get some real world experience.
the hostility on this forum is ridiculous. you clearly missed my sarcasm ... i was referring to exactly this: "But you saw it on the internet, so it must be true. They cant put anything on the internet that isn't true." and just to be clear i was also referring to the insisted global "truths" on this forum that are generally overstated and only apply to the 1%.

to me, those numbers are not close in RPMs.

i guess i should have asked if you plan to run lockers up front but it doesn't matter anymore.

|
post #17 of 17 Old 11-24-2015, 08:20 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Quote:
the hostility on this forum is ridiculous. you clearly missed my sarcasm ... i was referring to exactly this: "But you saw it on the internet, so it must be true. They cant put anything on the internet that isn't true." and just to be clear i was also referring to the insisted global "truths" on this forum that are generally overstated and only apply to the 1%.

to me, those numbers are not close in RPMs.

i guess i should have asked if you plan to run lockers up front but it doesn't matter anymore.

It really doesn't matter, but I am locked up front too... but shhhhh because you should not run a locker in a D30 either !

and there is one thing that makes this forum unique. Its not hostility. It is truth and factual data that is backed by real world users.

It is too common nowadays for people to continually put out bad information that is totally inaccurate. It is not fair to the newer Jeepers who are trying to build their Jeeps and are inundated with information that is not factual.

What you get here is the truth that is not biased bu certain brands or forum owners and moderators who push specific agendas. You will get the best advice here if you can weed through all of the posts about...

I heard you shouldnt...

I read you shouldnt....

I heard this will happen if ....

plenty of guys in here are running great setups that flat out work such as locked and trussed 30/44 on 35's with 3:15 gears. all of which will be chastised on other forums where new members are told that they will bend axles, break ring and pinions, blow up lockers, destroy axles

as a result, members are forced out of that particular setup and more importantly forced out of building a very very cpable rig that can whee land the true off roading experience because of something that they read on the internet that anyone with a keyboard can type whatever they want.

sorry if you took it as hostility, but the main objective here was met. The OP is getting hooked up with Marcus, so it is a guarantee that he will get good information, great service and a great experience with a top notch vendor.

and the irony = there is a fine line between hostility and sarcasm just as there is a fine line between information and facts when it comes to forums !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode