Link for Gear recommendations? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 11-01-2015, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Link for Gear recommendations?

I thought there was a thread that had gear recommendations listed based on trans type and tire size, but I can find it anywhere. Does anyone have a link? I ran several searches, but didn't really find anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-01-2015, 08:17 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

The easiest way is to search Google for "JK gear chart" and then click on images.

I can help you too if you want to tell me what you've got.

Marcus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 Old 11-01-2015, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Cool! I appreciate the search tip. I'm on my phone about to go to sleep, so I'll check it out in the morning.

Basically, I have a very lightly modded 2015 Rubicon Unlimited. It has the 5 speed auto trans. I am looking at putting 37" tires on it in the next 2 or 3 months. But I wanted to get all the cash together to do wheels, tires and gears all at once.

My goal its to gear it in such a way that with everything in place, the final ratios will have the revs a touch higher than stock, so I can get better application of torque for towing and a slower than stock crawl while off-road. I'm not worried about fuel economy, but it would be nice to travel at the speed limit in a 75 MPH zone without worrying about valve float. LoL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-01-2015, 09:30 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Based on a 3.6 with an auto trans and 37" tires you're going to want a 4.56 - 4.88 gear. 4.88s will sing a little more at 75 - 85 MPH (we have speed limits like that where I am), but the extra low in grunt will be nice.

IMO, if you're not in the mountains or high elevation with a lot of hills the 4.56 is the way to go for someone who travels longish distances at 75+.

Marcus

post #5 of 10 Old 11-02-2015, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

I'm out in the mountains only about 5 or 6 times a year. There are a few steep hills around here, but most of my driving is fairly flat.

Any particular brands that seem to be better than others? Or any I should stay away from?

I appricate the feed back.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-02-2015, 05:27 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

subscribed 'cuz (a) I'm shopping for gears + (b) Marcus knows his sh*t.

post #7 of 10 Old 11-02-2015, 07:14 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I move a ton of these Yukon packages. The ring and pinions are Yukon and the master install kits we use are Motive Gear with Timken bearings.

I'm holding the sale from last month over through this week since I'll be out at SEMA.

http://www.rivercityoffroad.com/YUKO...kmk-mbgear.htm

post #8 of 10 Old 11-02-2015, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Is that a bundle for both the front and rear?
post #9 of 10 Old 11-02-2015, 10:31 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcspaz View Post
Is that a bundle for both the front and rear?
That is both front and rear with master install kits that include all new bearings, shims, seals, pinion nut, ect. Complete rebuild kits.

post #10 of 10 Old 11-03-2015, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Wow! Nice! As a customer coming from the world of racing cars, even your regular price is great. I used to spend about $450 in parts an materials just for the rear end of the race car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode