JKS ACOS VS Spacers - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old 08-15-2008, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

JKS ACOS VS Spacers

The JKS ACOS system is very kewl, but I'm just wondering, for those of you who have the ACOS, how often do you actually adjust them once they're on?

VS paying way less for the right size coil spacers from the start?

Do you really take advantage of the "A" in ACOS??? At >> 5 times the cost in parts and install??

Thanks!

MMCAN

08 Black Rubi Unlimited Auto

Full Traction 6" Long Arm Lift
Tribe 4X4 Coil Overs
37" BFG KM2's on AEV Argent Pintlers
Reel Drive Shafts
Superior 5:13's
Rock Hard Sliders, Rear Bumper, Tire Carrier, Sports Cage
sPOD
Iron Bull Full Width Bumper
PSC Ram Hydro-Assist
Dyna Ball Joints
Tera Big Brakes
Evo Axle Sleeves
Superchip

Life Is Good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 08-15-2008, 08:00 AM
Wheeler

I do not have them BUT. Let's say they were the first mod you did, then you add bumpers... winch.. bigger spare.. then yeah I can see needing it to balance it out. Plus on my burb I'd LOVE to be able to adjust the rear coil springs, if I had to tow and do a long trip. also (same as the burb) you might do your install with 1/2 tank of gas, but then decide you wanted the set up level with a full tank... time to re adjust. Let's say you get new tires... and they JUST RUB time to adjust just a bit more... your springs start to sag/settle... time to crank it up just a bit.

I like the idea, and having that ability to fine tune the suspension apeals to me, so when we get an unlimited that will be a first for us.
post #3 of 40 Old 08-15-2008, 10:56 AM
Granite Guru

I've considered this. I have 1" spacers in the front to compensate for the heavy winch and bumper. That was before the lift. I decided to leave them in when the lift was put on, because I liked the way it looked. However, when I get the rear tire carrier I'm afraid it might sag in the rear.

I thought about getting these adjustable spacers, because then I could adjust them over time as things settle and sag. I've grown acustomed to the look and would like to keep it the way it is.

What is involved with the installation?

2007 JK Rubicon
Clayton Offroad 3.5" | 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers | Cragar Soft 8s | JE Reel 1350 drive lines | Alloy USA front axle shafts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old 08-15-2008, 10:58 AM
Rock God

Quote:
The same as adding spacers.
post #5 of 40 Old 08-15-2008, 11:17 AM
Openly Hostile

Quote:
Originally Posted by igofshn View Post
I was under the impression that they were not bolt in?

Jason
post #6 of 40 Old 08-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Wheeler

I think there is some "slight" welding involved. I know on the rear of a TJ there IS welding.
Here are the instructions on the front ones
http://www.jksmfg.com/support/install_acos_pn2210.pdf
I did not notice any welding
and the rear
http://www.jksmfg.com/support/install_acos_pn2570.pdf
it states "welding equipment needed"
so there would be some welding in the back (not much if I remember) and that's if needed
post #7 of 40 Old 08-15-2008, 11:53 AM
Rock God

I was under the impression they were???? Maybe not.
post #8 of 40 Old 08-15-2008, 12:08 PM
PIG
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I was under the impression they were???? Maybe not.
Why not run the corect springs for the amount of lift that you want....?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USE CODE: JKO10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
//
//

//
//

post #9 of 40 Old 08-15-2008, 12:10 PM
Openly Hostile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIG View Post
Hey now, that's crazy talk!!!

Jason
post #10 of 40 Old 08-15-2008, 01:46 PM
PIG
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMF View Post
Hey now, that's crazy talk!!!
I know.... I am soooooo crazy.

//
//

//
//

post #11 of 40 Old 08-15-2008, 01:56 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Because it's cheaper and easier to adjust the height with the spacers when you end up doing your build in stages. There are allot of variables, and it's hard to say what size coil you'll need to compensate for the weight until you get the weight on the Jeep. I guess that's an option if you have access to different size coils that you can swap on and off, but it's quite a hassle to order and wait. Not to mention expensive when you add something later that changes things.

2007 JK Rubicon
Clayton Offroad 3.5" | 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers | Cragar Soft 8s | JE Reel 1350 drive lines | Alloy USA front axle shafts
post #12 of 40 Old 08-15-2008, 02:42 PM
PIG
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrt View Post
Because it's cheaper and easier to adjust the height with the spacers when you end up doing your build in stages. There are allot of variables, and it's hard to say what size coil you'll need to compensate for the weight until you get the weight on the Jeep. I guess that's an option if you have access to different size coils that you can swap on and off, but it's quite a hassle to order and wait. Not to mention expensive when you add something later that changes things.
Looks like that ACOS thing runs about 300 bucks..... Thats about the cost of 2 sets of front springs.

Just throwing it out there.

//
//

//
//

post #13 of 40 Old 08-15-2008, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
I've considered this. I have 1" spacers in the front to compensate for the heavy winch and bumper. That was before the lift. I decided to leave them in when the lift was put on, because I liked the way it looked. However, when I get the rear tire carrier I'm afraid it might sag in the rear.

I thought about getting these adjustable spacers, because then I could adjust them over time as things settle and sag. I've grown acustomed to the look and would like to keep it the way it is.

A lot of money!

MMCAN

Tribe 4X4 Coil Overs
Reel Drive Shafts
sPOD
PSC Ram Hydro-Assist
Dyna Ball Joints
Tera Big Brakes
Evo Axle Sleeves
Superchip

Life Is Good!
post #14 of 40 Old 08-15-2008, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
No it's not,...

http://www.jksmfg.com/support/install_acos_pn2210.pdf

I really want to know the real deal from those who ACTUALLY have the JKS ACOS in place.

Is it worth it???

MMCAN

Tribe 4X4 Coil Overs
Reel Drive Shafts
sPOD
PSC Ram Hydro-Assist
Dyna Ball Joints
Tera Big Brakes
Evo Axle Sleeves
Superchip

Life Is Good!
post #15 of 40 Old 08-15-2008, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
I wish I had had a crystal ball to have done so. Damn that would have saved me some mullah! But here's how it playsw out in real time,...

Start with a 4" LA kit. Add a Rockhard rear bumper and 37" tire carrier. Add a big new front bumper and powerplant.

And RH Sports Cage. Sliders. Camping equipment in a Tuffy cargo drawer,...

And under carriage armor,...

This is always a "work in progress", no matter who is doing it.

Should I over shoot the fixed spacers and install them, or just do the ACOS???

I could put in several different spacer heights or spring lengths for the cost of the ACOS, it seems. Play the Devil's Advocate and talk me into it.

MMCAN

Tribe 4X4 Coil Overs
Reel Drive Shafts
sPOD
PSC Ram Hydro-Assist
Dyna Ball Joints
Tera Big Brakes
Evo Axle Sleeves
Superchip

Life Is Good!
post #16 of 40 Old 08-15-2008, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Cogent.

I like this train of thought, as it is similar to my right brain way of looking at it...

But, like I said before, talk me into it, especially if YOU have the ACOS in place.

Was it worth it?

MMCAN

Tribe 4X4 Coil Overs
Reel Drive Shafts
sPOD
PSC Ram Hydro-Assist
Dyna Ball Joints
Tera Big Brakes
Evo Axle Sleeves
Superchip

Life Is Good!
post #17 of 40 Old 08-15-2008, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Looks like that ACOS thing runs about 300 bucks..... Thats about the cost of 2 sets of front springs.

Just throwing it out there.
JKS ACOS
JK Wrangler, 2007+
Location Range Qty Part # Price
Front 1" - 2.5" Pair PN 22101, 2, 5 $277.00

Rear 2" - 4" Pair PN 25702, 3, 4 $380.00

Spacers can be priced at around $30/pair.

Then you have the install cost. It's not the same as installing spacers.

In the big picture after 100+K miles, it amortizes out to zip, zilch, nada.

But up front costs add up at some point.

If you have the ACOS, is it worth it?

MMCAN

Tribe 4X4 Coil Overs
Reel Drive Shafts
sPOD
PSC Ram Hydro-Assist
Dyna Ball Joints
Tera Big Brakes
Evo Axle Sleeves
Superchip

Life Is Good!
post #18 of 40 Old 08-15-2008, 09:21 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

for what ever it is worth, when i had my XJ my good friend had one as well. He had the ACOS. He only adjusted them a couple times over a couple years.

I agree the price comes out to about even over a couple years. Don't forget you can sell or hand down to a friend your used springs. If the cost ended up being even over time that is more of a reason to go with coils. I would rather have had some good quality coils with proper rates and travel over a high tech spacer.

Not saying they aren't nice and a great idea, just can never beat the performance of proper coils with any spacer no matter how nice they are.

just me two cents...
post #19 of 40 Old 08-16-2008, 04:53 AM

Proper coils, shocks, AND, if you must, spacers...thos ACOS products are quite pricey for what you ultimately get.
post #20 of 40 Old 08-16-2008, 06:41 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcan View Post
Cogent.
But, like I said before, talk me into it, especially if YOU have the ACOS in place.
Was it worth it?
Cannot help you there. I'm in the same boat deciding if it's what I want to do. For their price I'm leaning towards not buying them, but I haven't made up my mind.

2007 JK Rubicon
post #21 of 40 Old 08-16-2008, 07:03 PM
JKO Addict!

I have the JKS ACOS system. I'll explain why. I have the RE 4 1/2 longarm lift. According to RE will allow for 37" tires which I have. I like the bigger tires. It's what I want. However, adding the additional weight of
steel bumpers, a winch, tire carrier and a 37" spare brought the ride height down to better suite a 35" tire not a 37". Add to that the additional weight of tools, recovery equipment, cooler full of food, beer, etc... and additional passengers, as I have a four door, I am pretty much back to stock height, with 37" tires of course. My tires are constantly stuffed in the fenders while on trails. One guy even asked me if my lift was stock. I called RE and they would not offer a solution that would alter their system. I felt that I had to do something because I wasn't happy with my setup. So I talked to a guy about putting 2" coil spacers on. He suggested the JKS ACOS system pointing out that I would be not commited to a specific ride height. If your not happy after putting on a fixed height spacer then what do you do? I knew there was a significant price increase. We all know how much. Still I bought into the idea of customizing the ride height to suit my needs. They can be adjusted front and back, left and right. Level it out, rake it forward, whatever.The front spacers are adjustable 1"-2 1/2" and the rears are 2"- 4". Kind of like an insurance policy. They never seem like a good idea until you need it.

So here's my thinking and I could be wrong. Aftermarket lifts while well thought out and engineered still have limitations relative to the vehicle and it's intended use. That's why we are always finding ways to tweak things to better suit our style of driving. And vendors provide us with new products in their never ending endeavour to improve our rigs.

Is the JKS ACOS system worth the price over fixed height coil spacers? In my case yes. I think it is subjective to a persons wants and needs. Now I want a

Oh, I forgot to mention. They look cool too.

Last edited by rubirobv; 08-16-2008 at 07:16 PM.
post #22 of 40 Old 08-16-2008, 07:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcan View Post
JKS ACOS
JK Wrangler, 2007+
Location Range Qty Part # Price
Front 1" - 2.5" Pair PN 22101, 2, 5 $277.00

Rear 2" - 4" Pair PN 25702, 3, 4 $380.00

Spacers can be priced at around $30/pair.

Then you have the install cost. It's not the same as installing spacers.

In the big picture after 100+K miles, it amortizes out to zip, zilch, nada.

But up front costs add up at some point.

If you have the ACOS, is it worth it?
Your price quotes are off the JKS web site. You can do better than that.
post #23 of 40 Old 08-16-2008, 08:27 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubirobv View Post
I have the JKS ACOS system. I'll explain why...
Good explanation. Thank you for your perspective.

2007 JK Rubicon
post #24 of 40 Old 08-17-2008, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubirobv View Post
I have the JKS ACOS system. I'll explain why. I have the RE 4 1/2 longarm lift. According to RE will allow for 37" tires which I have. I like the bigger tires. It's what I want. However, adding the additional weight of
steel bumpers, a winch, tire carrier and a 37" spare brought the ride height down to better suite a 35" tire not a 37". Add to that the additional weight of tools, recovery equipment, cooler full of food, beer, etc... and additional passengers, as I have a four door, I am pretty much back to stock height, with 37" tires of course. My tires are constantly stuffed in the fenders while on trails. One guy even asked me if my lift was stock. I called RE and they would not offer a solution that would alter their system. I felt that I had to do something because I wasn't happy with my setup. So I talked to a guy about putting 2" coil spacers on. He suggested the JKS ACOS system pointing out that I would be not commited to a specific ride height. If your not happy after putting on a fixed height spacer then what do you do? I knew there was a significant price increase. We all know how much. Still I bought into the idea of customizing the ride height to suit my needs. They can be adjusted front and back, left and right. Level it out, rake it forward, whatever.The front spacers are adjustable 1"-2 1/2" and the rears are 2"- 4". Kind of like an insurance policy. They never seem like a good idea until you need it.

So here's my thinking and I could be wrong. Aftermarket lifts while well thought out and engineered still have limitations relative to the vehicle and it's intended use. That's why we are always finding ways to tweak things to better suit our style of driving. And vendors provide us with new products in their never ending endeavour to improve our rigs.

Is the JKS ACOS system worth the price over fixed height coil spacers? In my case yes. I think it is subjective to a persons wants and needs. Now I want a

Oh, I forgot to mention. They look cool too.

That is a great post.

Thank you for the help!

Mark

MMCAN

Tribe 4X4 Coil Overs
Reel Drive Shafts
sPOD
PSC Ram Hydro-Assist
Dyna Ball Joints
Tera Big Brakes
Evo Axle Sleeves
Superchip

Life Is Good!
post #25 of 40 Old 11-06-2008, 08:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Spend the extra money now and buy the acos. then you can adjust for now on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode