80K miles, slight shimmy. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 10-20-2015, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

80K miles, slight shimmy.

2008 4 door with 80,000 mostly road miles. I sometimes have a slight shimmy, back and forth with the steering wheel, when driving straight and it increases under braking. The brake rotors and pads are thin. Will a brake job fix this? Also anything else I need to check with this mileage?

Todd
First Jeep the govt hasn't owned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-20-2015, 12:32 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Get under the jeep and check the torque on all suspension connections. Also check the condition of bushings. Probably need to change your upper and lower BJ's. Change brake pads and runout on rotors.(probably need to be turned). Air pressure on tires and have them rebalanced. There, that's not too much, is it. Might do a search for Death Wobble by Planman.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015
post #3 of 11 Old 10-22-2015, 07:00 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd00000 View Post
2008 4 door with 80,000 mostly road miles. I sometimes have a slight shimmy, back and forth with the steering wheel, when driving straight and it increases under braking. The brake rotors and pads are thin. Will a brake job fix this? Also anything else I need to check with this mileage?
Could be a bunch of things given your mileage. Could be a bunch of things. Tires...brakes maybe...have to start ruling things out. Is the shimmy speed related?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 10-22-2015, 08:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

How do you know the rotors are thin?

As mentioned, check torque on all suspension components and do a check on your ball joints.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-24-2015, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks all. I recently inspected the rotors and pads while getting 4 new tires, the brakes are due for replacement. After the brake job, if the shimmy is still there, I'll get her to the dealer.

Todd
post #6 of 11 Old 11-01-2015, 01:18 PM
Wheeler

I think that a pretty common issue on these are the tie-rod bushings wearing out, especially with that many miles.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-02-2015, 08:07 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
If it shimmy's before you brake then your brakes are not the cause. As said many things contribute but at the age and mileage I would check the track bar bushing first, then the tie rod and drag link next

RPMFAB
(480)329-2992

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 11 Old 11-02-2015, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMFAB View Post
If it shimmy's before you brake then your brakes are not the cause. As said many things contribute but at the age and mileage I would check the track bar bushing first, then the tie rod and drag link next
Thanks to all, I will get them checked during the brake job.

Should I go with stock parts or does the aftermarket have some higher quality parts?

Todd
post #9 of 11 Old 11-04-2015, 06:16 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Thanks to all, I will get them checked during the brake job.

Should I go with stock parts or does the aftermarket have some higher quality parts?
It really depends on your lift and set up. We recommend the Rock Krawler Bomb proof track bar as the replacement. AT $149 retail it is the best we have seen and it is double adjustable so it goes on lifts from 2.5" -5.5"

Also, be careful as most mechanic have NO clue what they are looking for. It's a Jeep thing.

RPMFAB
(480)329-2992

post #10 of 11 Old 11-04-2015, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMFAB View Post
It really depends on your lift and set up. We recommend the Rock Krawler Bomb proof track bar as the replacement. AT $149 retail it is the best we have seen and it is double adjustable so it goes on lifts from 2.5" -5.5"

Also, be careful as most mechanic have NO clue what they are looking for. It's a Jeep thing.
I'm stock and staying that way.

Todd
post #11 of 11 Old 01-14-2016, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

The new brakes fixed it.

Todd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode