15 inch wheels on DD? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 10-10-2015, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

15 inch wheels on DD?

Hello, I've been creeping for a while learning all about tires, wheels and lifts for my 2014 JK Sport S...The one thing I have determined is that I want the Teraflex 2.5" coil suspension lift...the tires and wheels I go back and forth on.

I'm pretty sure I want the Mickey Thompson ATZ P3's in a 33" but undecided on exact measurements as I can't decide on wheel size...I was thinking of 16's, but now I really like the Fuel lethals that come in 15x8 and 15x10 with 3.75bs...so my question is do 15" wheels affect ride comfort or control? any negatives regarding pavement driving? I go offroad maybe 3-4 times a year, otherwise it's my DD that gets 50+ miles a day city and highway.

I've also read about brake caliper issues etc with 15" wheels, so anyone with the fuel lethal wheels have any knowledge on this?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-10-2015, 08:18 PM
Rock God

Garage

Comfort and control? Sorta but you probably won't nice. The load range of the tire is mostly what effects that. A lot of 15" tires come in load range C, which is softer. You can play with pressure to get the ride quality right.

I actually had 33" MT ATZ'S. Pretty good tires all around. I run 15" steel wheels with no caliper rubbing, but I researched the rims before I bought them. I have no idea about the fuel ones. I know that the Level 8 Bully's and Trackers have no issues.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #3 of 13 Old 10-11-2015, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

thanks, I appreciate the response. Gonna have to ponder it some more as I can't decide size vs. money. Good to know the ride quality won't be greatly affected.

I have seen a lot of discussion about weight...does the lighter weight and load range make it easier on the drivetrain/gears and whatnot? or is that unrelated? as you can see, i'm not the most educated in this area...I try to ask my husband but all i get is "I don't know" or "why do you want to do that?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 10-11-2015, 11:35 AM
Granite Guru

The biggest advantage of the 15's is cost saving on buying tires (up to 35's). I have steelies with 35's and saved $100 per tire with the 15's vs 17's.

The lower load range also meant that they were a little softer and conformed better to the terrain when aired down.

They were slightly more spongy on road, but were talking Jeeps here not sports cars so it was negligible. Plus your talking 33's so they will have less sidewall anyway.

If you ever plan to go bigger then 35" tires the 15's will start to cause a problem, there are very few options for 37"+ tires for 15" rims, and the cost saving goes away completely. I never actually priced 33's, but im assuming they are similar to the 35's.

The less weight you have in your tire/rim package the better the Jeep will perform, this is true for any vehicle and why you see exotic carbon fiber / super light alloy rims on supercars. Acceleration, braking, and maneuverability are all affected by the weight or rims/tires, but again, were talking Jeeps, so really only braking is gonna be noticeable and probably no different for 15's vs 17's.

Jeepless
post #5 of 13 Old 10-15-2015, 09:39 PM
Wheeler

Only downside to 15s is you can't really fit an aftermarket tie rod.
If its not a trail rig probably not an issue.

2011 Jk 2 door 6 speed. 5.13 gears, 1350 driveshafts, cooper sst+ 35s, warn 9.5, various armor, 1/4 pounder bumper, 12 inch King coil overs, CB, still running the dana 30 sleeved and gusseted up front. Someday wanna go with 1 ton axels but for now I love my JK.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-16-2015, 06:13 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoJK2011 View Post
Completely False !

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #7 of 13 Old 10-16-2015, 08:15 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoJK2011 View Post
Tell that to my RK tie rod that's in between my 15" wheels. More difficult, yes. But not impossible.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #8 of 13 Old 10-16-2015, 06:54 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmmns View Post
Completely False !
Can you recommend any that will fit?

I was going to say the same thing "tough to find after market tie-rods"

I have been looking to replace mine, but most of them out there are recommending 17" wheels.

2007 Sahara - 2.5" RK Flex System with Blistein 5100 shocks, Synergy Ball Joints, MB72 15" wheels, 33x12.5x15 Duratrac's, JKS Quick Disconnects, Rugged Ridge front bumper with Smittybilt 8k lb winch.
post #9 of 13 Old 10-17-2015, 05:36 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

It is dependent on your backspacing on your wheels, but most people I know running an after market tie rod with 15's are using the RK HD aluminum. myself included !

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #10 of 13 Old 10-17-2015, 08:08 AM
Wheeler

Sorry for the misinformation. I had 15s with steel circle 8's and the synergy tie rod would not fit. The 15s will limit your avail choices of TR. RK's website says you need min 17s, but apparently the guys on here have fit it to 15s.http://www.rockkrawler.com/ProductDe...ctCode=RK04383
I guessI should have said the downside should be you can't fit in aftermarket brakes on 15 inch rims unless some manufacturer has come out with a small diameter big brake kit. To the OP's concerns 33s and 15s is fine for ride comfort and control. 35s and 15s work just fine as well. The stock brake caliper issues your reading about take about 1 minute or less with a grinder to fix if it rubs , drag racers have been doing that for years, would not let that discourage the 15 inch rims.

2011 Jk 2 door 6 speed. 5.13 gears, 1350 driveshafts, cooper sst+ 35s, warn 9.5, various armor, 1/4 pounder bumper, 12 inch King coil overs, CB, still running the dana 30 sleeved and gusseted up front. Someday wanna go with 1 ton axels but for now I love my JK.
post #11 of 13 Old 10-18-2015, 07:57 AM
Rock God

I've had 15" steel wheels for 2+ years and 33x12.5x15 Duratracs. Total weight is not much more than stock. I did grind my calipers but it wasn't a big deal and hasn't affected performance. I did have an issue once with a sticking caliper but I think it was caused by mud. A thorough cleaning after removing the wheel and whacking the caliper with a mallet freed it up and the problem hasn't returned. I would recommend the 15" wheels for the cost savings if you don't plan on increasing size for awhile.

Mike
'07 2 door soft top
post #12 of 13 Old 10-29-2015, 10:12 PM
Granite Guru

15" procomp aluminum. Cleared calipers fine. The ONLY problem I'm running into now is I bought crap MTR Kevlars, new but still crap. Discount and Big-O can't fit the amount of weights needed to balance the tire!!! One needed 16oz and the other needed 18oz??! So the weights did not clear the brake caliper. If I had 17" rim there would've been plenty of room for all that lead and cleared the brake caliper. I just think the 2 tires I bought on Craigslist one was an egg. So I'll sell them for off-road use, get a set of KO2s and hopefully they won't need a pound of lead to balance!
post #13 of 13 Old 11-01-2015, 12:33 PM
Wheeler

I think that you'll be fine with the 15s. The price savings you'll get from tires would probably make up for the slightly more limited tie rod options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode