To build or by a suspention kit? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 10-01-2015, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
To build or by a suspention kit?

Should I buy the RK long arm stretch, have another company build me a long arm stretch kit, or build it myself?

I have a welder but have never welded before. But I have a neighbor down the street who has a portable welder on his work truck. So most likely he will be doing the actual welding.

and that leads to should it be a 3 link or 4 link long arm in the rear.

I did have my mind set on an RK 6" rear stretch long arm, but after reading Rigger's build i started to second guess my RK decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-01-2015, 12:58 PM
Rock God

I wouldnt want to learn how to weld on suspension components. I also wouldnt bother with long arms unless I was going 4+ inches and 40+ tires.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-01-2015, 01:00 PM
Rock God

Garage

Ringer is an exception. Dude is incredibly talented with smarts and ingenuity mixed in there. Suspension links aren't exactly where you want to doubt your skills. Even if someone else does the actual welding, you still have to figure out all of the angles and stuff.

RK already figured all of that out. But you pay the premium for their knowledge and research.

I'd look at Artec's new setup. 3 link front using their new cross member and truss, brackets and ends but you supply the DOM. It's kinda neat. Supposed to be coming out with a rear kit as well.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 10-01-2015, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robnoxious1 View Post
I wouldnt want to learn how to weld on suspension components. I also wouldnt bother with long arms unless I was going 4+ inches and 40+ tires.
I have a 2dr so I'm going to be stretching it, only stretch kits out there are long arm. I'm already running 4" TF springs and will be replacing my 33s with 37s when I get a front 44, and the possibility of 40s I the future.

And I'm not going to learn to weld. I have a neighbor down the street who is a welder. He will either use his Miller Bobcat MIG my Miller Syncrowave TIG welder.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-01-2015, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Door View Post
Ringer is an exception.... Even if someone else does the actual welding, you still have to figure out all of the angles and stuff.

I'd look at Artec's new setup. 3 link front using their new cross member and truss, brackets and ends but you supply the DOM. It's kinda neat. Supposed to be coming out with a rear kit as well.
Thank you I will look into Artec.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-01-2015, 03:13 PM
JKO Addict!

I spent some time tossing around the same idea. Theres a lot into building your own suspension then you think, do some searching and you will see. I ending up spending the "extra" coin and went with RKs stretch. There is still a lot involved when installing long arms plus the stretch, so the fab work is still there. RK knows their shit and has taken all the guess work out it for guys like us. Plus you can't beat there warranty. Go RK and you will be happy.

2010 Mango 2dr 6spd Rubicon
PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
post #7 of 11 Old 10-01-2015, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisguyhasadd42 View Post
I spent some time tossing around the same idea. Theres a lot into building your own suspension then you think, do some searching and you will see. I ending up spending the "extra" coin and went with RKs stretch. There is still a lot involved when installing long arms plus the stretch, so the fab work is still there. RK knows their shit and has taken all the guess work out it for guys like us. Plus you can't beat there warranty. Go RK and you will be happy.
When you posted about comp cutting with your stretch I had already decided that I was going to go with the RK stretch over the Synergy stretch. I'm waiting for the little lady to give me the permission to place the order
(i have not finished fixing my jeep when I broke her truck off road, so she said I had to wait till after I fixed both before I could order. Her truck is fixed, just have to take to to the body shop for prior damage from a car accident. My jeep will be wrapped up on Saturday).

But now the choices have opened up and ideas flowing from reading others stretch builds. Its making me consider RK, Artec, and DV8.

I agree RK has a bad ass product with an awesome warranty. DV8 is a small relatively new company who pride themselves in MADE IN THE USA and engineering a complete suspension system.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-01-2015, 10:03 PM
JKO Addict!

There is welding involved regardless of buying RK or building your own.
Building your own will allow you to run the joints of your choice and really dial in the geometry which would include axle brackets, something RK does not do (except with the upper bridge). If you are not going to do anything with the fuel tank then a 3 link may be your best bet even though I don't care for the 3 link design and its geometry.

If you are going with a fuel cell then the double triangulated is the way to go.

Good luck.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-09-2015, 09:37 AM
JKowners Vendor

Thanks for all the positive feedback and support. We work hard to make sure our geometry and components work, perform and survive in the environments we live and play in...

When it comes to cost effectiveness, we think you will find it hard to beat our products unless you yourself have the skill set to do the design and fab work. By the time you pay for the components, someone to fab them up and do the design work to put them in the vehicle, it adds up generally to much more than what we charge. But, if you want to have different joints, etc. we understand completely. To each their own. But cost effectiveness is not always there. We have the machines to make these arms and components and we utilize those machines to provide you with as good a price as possible..

Dirtman, Nice profile pic. About time you show that thing off...

RK
post #10 of 11 Old 10-09-2015, 11:51 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
There is welding involved regardless of buying RK or building your own.

Building your own will allow you to run the joints of your choice and really dial in the geometry which would include axle brackets, something RK does not do (except with the upper bridge). If you are not going to do anything with the fuel tank then a 3 link may be your best bet even though I don't care for the 3 link design and its geometry.

If you are going with a fuel cell then the double triangulated is the way to go.

Good luck.

This. Dirtman and I have both gone down the path of three link and then four link. There is much more involved in a four link. I would not recommend this as a project to cut your fabrication teeth on. The three link is a good option.

Thanks for the comments, and sorry to screw up your decision.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #11 of 11 Old 10-09-2015, 11:52 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Door View Post
Ringer is an exception. Dude is incredibly talented with smarts and ingenuity mixed in there. Suspension links aren't exactly where you want to doubt your skills. Even if someone else does the actual welding, you still have to figure out all of the angles and stuff.

Thank you sir.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode