Advice Welcome on purchase - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-27-2015, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Advice Welcome on purchase

I am purchasing a 2007 JK 4 Door Wrangler with 3.8l Automatic.

The problem is the engine is blown, said it is locked up. Stated his son did not put oil in it and it blew up.

My question is there anything else I should be concerned with or is this just going to new a new motor. Will it affect the transmission?

Should I replace motor or have a rebuild. ANY Advice.

How long will it take to swap them out if I buy a new one. I have a few mechanic friends that can do the work..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-28-2015, 07:21 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Check the diff's, transfer case and transmission as well. If idiot neglected to put oil in the motor what else was he neglecting to do?

You can get a reman at pep boys I think for around 2200. If the motor is seized probably no chance in rebuilding it. It can take a couple of days to weeks just how much time you are willing to throw at it each day.

How much do they want for it? Is it stock or lifted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-28-2015, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I will check out pep boys for a re manufactured motor. That price ain't bad if it comes with warranty.

They are asking 6000. It is in great shape body wise. 124000 miles. OD green

I got it for 6 and the motor will cost around 3 after all said and done.

Anything to worry about regarding installing motor messing with security system? Or is it just a simple swap?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-28-2015, 08:58 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

That's pretty good at 6000 offer 5500. If you are on Facebook look up Curtis Christensen, he did a motor swap with the pep boys motor in February. Or let me know if you don't and I can message him and ask him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-28-2015, 09:06 AM
Rock God

As mentioned, an engine seizing shouldn't affect the transmission. However, since you can't drive it there is no way to verify that there isn't an issue with the transmission until you put the work into the engine (or if there are other driveability issues), so it's a bit of a gamble.

The motor shouldn't affect the security system. As long as everything is installed correctly and the old computer and electronics are all used, it should be a "simple" swap.

Again, I would make sure you look at everything you can (steering components, diff fluid and transmission fluid and levels, exhaust, driveshaft boots, etc.) and see if there are any issues. Since you can't drive it a good look over is in order to make sure there won't be any surprises. Even if you are going to buy it either way, it may give you a bargaining chip if you find something wrong.

Good luck.

Edit: Also, how good are the tires? Decent tires that size can be upwards of 1000 dollars, so that's something to consider as well if they are about done (can't tell from the picture, but the spare looks worn out, no idea about the rest).

Last edited by BigTB; 09-28-2015 at 09:10 AM.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-28-2015, 10:25 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

That is a great deal. Before you buy a reman motor check with Jeep Speed Shop or Motech or AEV and see if they have a lower mileage 3.8L laying around that they'll sell/ship to you at a fair price. That is the route I did when I bought my Jeep with a blown motor.

It shouldn't cost very much to have one pulled and the other installed. Shop it around. Everything is plug and play between the motors.

Welcome to JKO.

Marcus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 7 Old 09-28-2015, 03:18 PM
Rock God

if you can get that for $5500 i wouldnt even put a motor in it. see if you could flip it for more, or even sell parts

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode