Ace fenders rusting...what to do? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 09-25-2015, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Ace fenders rusting...what to do?

hey JKO,
I put the ace metal fenders on my jeep about 1.5 years ago and they've started to rust kinda badly. Bubbles all over under the powder coat and it's broken through in some places. I lived in Chicago and now I'm at school down in Corpus Christi so they're both rust environments. When putting the fenders on I had to use nutserts for the rear and ended up spinning about 3 of them per side even with the nice nutsert tool. So I'm worried if I take them off to get them re powder coated ill spin more and then I won't be able to put them back on at all! Not to mention they were a pain in the ass to get on in the first place. Anyone ever had this problem with metal fenders that use nutserts? What's my best course of action to fix this rust??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-25-2015, 11:38 AM
Rock God

Garage

This is why i stuck with oem plastic.

Is there any way to post some pictures?

"Gremlin"
Nothing in my jeep is sacred, except my jelly beans and apple liquorice. Don't touch those...
post #3 of 20 Old 09-25-2015, 12:08 PM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

Tis the reason I went alumimiunumuiimunum

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
We liked you better when we didn't know you. If you just fucked off we could go back to not giving a shit about you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 09-25-2015, 12:16 PM
Granite Guru

Oh boy, that was helpful!

If, and that's a big if, you can get the bolts out of the "spun" nut certs you can use a small grinder tool to clean both the nut certs and Jeep sheet metal to bare metal so you could then tack weld the nutcert to the sheet metal. Make sure you use anti seize on the bolt threads when you reassemble. Another option would be to sand the fenders to bare metal, mask and paint while still on the Jeep.

Good luck, not an easy task either way.
post #5 of 20 Old 09-25-2015, 12:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Fluid film. I coated all around the inside around the seams and welds. Thats where the rush starts.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #6 of 20 Old 09-25-2015, 01:11 PM
Rock God

Garage

No need to remove them, why not tape off the Jeep and paint them yourself?
Get a wire wheel to remove any loose rust, and then paint them with a spray on bedliner.

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
post #7 of 20 Old 09-25-2015, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Fluid film. I coated all around the inside around the seams and welds. Thats where the rush starts.
haha; you beat me to our fav aerosol again , KJeeper10.....👍🏻

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 20 Old 09-25-2015, 03:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Yepp love the shit.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #9 of 20 Old 09-25-2015, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambo View Post
hey JKO,
I put the ace metal fenders on my jeep about 1.5 years ago and they've started to rust kinda badly. Bubbles all over under the powder coat and it's broken through in some places. I lived in Chicago and now I'm at school down in Corpus Christi so they're both rust environments. When putting the fenders on I had to use nutserts for the rear and ended up spinning about 3 of them per side even with the nice nutsert tool. So I'm worried if I take them off to get them re powder coated ill spin more and then I won't be able to put them back on at all! Not to mention they were a pain in the ass to get on in the first place. Anyone ever had this problem with metal fenders that use nutserts? What's my best course of action to fix this rust??
Hambo,
maybe we can assess and make sggsts for best means of gettin you rustless again if you snap a few images of the extent of the corrosion ; just sayin it is always helpful ( you'll usually get more useful advice) to post images ( we loves images) ....only if ya get a chance......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 20 Old 09-26-2015, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

You guys have given me some good ideas thanks. Still open to any other solutions too! I'll try to post pictures in a few days. On a trip for a few days and should be back Monday.
post #11 of 20 Old 09-26-2015, 01:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Did you put Never-Seize on the bolts before you threaded them into the nutserts? And were they stainless bolts? If your answers are no and yes, you can probably forget about removing the fenders.

Kevin
post #12 of 20 Old 10-04-2015, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Here are some pictures of the rust. Sorry for the late reply. I think the hardware sent with the fenders that I used was stainless and I didn't use anti-seize on the bolts. Only red thread locker on the outside of the nutserts. At this point I think the best and maybe only way to do it is just grind down the rust and use rust oleum bedliner
Attached Images

post #13 of 20 Old 10-04-2015, 04:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Poor pc job. Looks like the coating is flaking off and water is getting underneath. You can try and slow it down but it's only going to get worse.
I will look to have the fenders re-coated.

post #14 of 20 Old 10-04-2015, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I agree with kjeeper; those are not unlike my first set of 'rock ridge's taillight LED replacements that had low-budget powder coating and wound up bubbling up from moisture getting trapped beneath the PC and corners ( they replaced with aluminum ones ) ...except it seems your point of corrosion is centering on the tack weld spots for the covering plate on those fenders . I would check the integrity of the material up under ( likely trail and road gunk getting all up and under the beads and working its way thru as water will always do ...)
a full sand and resurface might save em for a few more years. Next set/if you get these fixed up , bed line them and then keep the undersides slathered with FluidFilm ....

post #15 of 20 Old 10-06-2015, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Ugh. That's not what I was hoping to hear. So even if I sand the rust spots and recoat them with Bedliner from a can it wouldn't be worth it? And to get them re coated I would have to take the fenders off which wouldn't be easy and getting them back on would be nearly impossible. Do I have any other options??
post #16 of 20 Old 10-06-2015, 04:50 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Use por-15 rust inhibator

its all about the crawl ratio.
post #17 of 20 Old 10-06-2015, 05:29 AM
Granite Guru

POR-15 is a good product, but I would guess there is surface rust between the powder coat in areas that have not bubbled up yet. The OP will be chasing new rust spots forever. It would be best to do what ever is necessary to get the fenders off. Do a complete strip, prep and repaint them using high quality materials. Its a bad situation, but I feel like it is better to bite the bullet and do it right instead of it being an on going source of frustration.
post #18 of 20 Old 10-06-2015, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

they are right about POR-15; I used it to stop the progress of slight floorpan rust-out on my '95 XJ ( a spot missed by undercoating ) and it has not progressed beyond that since applying. Sand as much as you can and then coat it with the stuff.

post #19 of 20 Old 10-06-2015, 05:59 AM
Rock God

Garage

They're going to have to come off. You'll need to blast em down, prep, primer and paint again. And if you live in the rust belt like me, get used to it...

one of the local off road shops just became a dealer for these guys. I was talking with him at a car show and he says that it's damn near indestructible with a warranty....next spring I might yank my bumpers off and see if he's right.

http://www.bulletliner.com/news/

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #20 of 20 Old 10-07-2015, 09:35 PM
Wheeler

According to their website, they have a Lifetime Warranty.

http://www.aceengineeringandfab.com/...ders_p_32.html

Can't hurt to give them a call and see what they say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode