2016 lift question? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 09-25-2015, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

2016 lift question?

I pre ordered a 2016 unlimited rubicon and its coming to me in december.i just sold my 2013 unlimited sport and had a pos frankenstein RC lift on it,I believe a bb lift with some cheap pro comp springs and it rode like crap,felt every bump like I had low pro tires and it made squeaking noises with 35 mtrs.so I have a fresh start.im looking @ 37 inch kevlars and the highest lift without buying new driveshafts.i had my old oem flares from my sport so im cutting those to flatties.........I want a complete lift kit (shocks,trac bar,etc)that doesnt require anything else to work and rides like oem or better...I believe long arms are the best,....my brands are RK, teraflex and ome.im sorry but im just being descriptive and need some help here.i have a 3,000 dollar max budget.i cant afford another crappy mistake like my previous.thank you jko
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 09-25-2015, 05:31 AM
Granite Guru

Are you sure you really need 37s? The difference between 35s and 37s is a whole can of worms. Is this going to be used for wheeling or mostly looks? If you plan to wheel on 37s then you need to address the weaknesses in the front axle. You'll need better better ball joints (Teraflex, Rare Parts or Dynatrac) because the stock ones won't last 10K miles with 37's that have proper backspacing. The inner Cs will also need gussets and the axles tubes trussed or at the least sleeved. Best bet is the Artec Industries truss kit.

If you use exhaust spacers or a new crossover pipe you can go up to 3" of actual lift before the front driveshaft starts to have issues. An option to increase this some is to replace the factor Rzeppa joint with the Teraflex high angle one. You could then run a 3.5" lift with the stock (other than the Rzeppa joint) driveshaft.

You can clear 37s with a 3.5" lift. That's not necessarily long arm territory. A good short arm kit with adjustable arms will be fine especially if you use geometry correcting drop brackets. You'll also want to get the track bar heights corrected so the roll center will at OEM specs or better. Once your geometry is correct most of the ride quality is in the tuning between the springs and shocks. Of the lift manufacturers you listed, all of them tune their shocks to the springs. You really can't go wrong with RK, Teraflex, or Metal Cloak.

Turning 37s is no joke. You might want to consider hydro assist steering or at least bracing the sector shaft on the steering box. JKS Manufacturing makes a very nice and complete sector shaft bracing kit.

Next you'll want to regear the axles because with 37s even 4.10 gears are not enough for most people. I know guys that say they can get by with 4.10 gears with the WA580 auto on 35s, but not 37s. Whether you get the auto or manual, you should be looking at 4.88 gears to run 37s. If you do all the above correctly to avoid the mistakes of the past, then you'll need to at least double your budget. You still sure you want 37s?
post #3 of 23 Old 09-25-2015, 05:52 AM
Wheeler

You should look into Synergy coils. You can buy a set of 4 coils for around $400 and a set of 4 Bilstein 5100 for around $300.. Will perform better than a Teraflex lift in my opinion. The synergy springs ride really nice and since they are progressive it's very unlikely you'll have any issues with them coming unseated when you flex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 09-25-2015, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

.researching while i had my 13 sport i was turning 35 mtrs on 3.21 gearing....it wasnt ideal but not as bad....im sure id be ok with 37 mtrs with 4.10s for now....this is a daily as well as a mud crawler...no rocks just deep muddy clay....i will reinforce with sleeves ,gussets and later rcvs....im more concerned of the right "complete" one time shot lift kit.i still have teraflex exhaust spacers i never installed too.......so mid arm.or long arms?im starting here and rest assure im keeping this rubicon.if i have to ill consider a body lift,just let me know from experience whats good as ill probably not be spending on myself since the holidays are coming.
post #5 of 23 Old 09-25-2015, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I forgot its a manual transmission....i will not wheel.it.until i at least beef it up until i get the basic reinforcement. its just i cant drive a stock height jeep so yes...its a mall crawler til i recoop.until 2016.....
post #6 of 23 Old 09-25-2015, 10:21 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Look at Aev way less than a long arm and rides better than stock. A 2.5 with drop brackets will work with flat fenders. If you like arms then a 2.5 X factor by RK thats what I have on my 2dr drives almost as good as Aev with Bilstein 5160 shocks. Also you can run exhaust spacers we haven't has any issues with stock shafts.

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #7 of 23 Old 09-25-2015, 10:57 AM
JKowners Vendor

You can go as low as 2.5" with flat fenders are run 37's with no problems at all. Of course, all the other issues that have been mentioned should be taken into consideration with 37's!

Good luck with your build. Do not hesitate to give us a shout if you need any help or want to talk JK...

RK
post #8 of 23 Old 09-25-2015, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

As indyjlh.said....im looking at a 3 -3.5 lift and probably a 1 inch body on flatties..since its a small lift I dnt need long arms?hey RK,you guys price differently than online prices?
post #9 of 23 Old 09-29-2015, 07:02 PM
Wheeler

Why not get a factory lift installed at the dealership before you even drive it home. The mopar 2.5" would work.

Alaska Oosik's Rugby
post #10 of 23 Old 09-29-2015, 07:44 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacSquatch View Post
Why not get a factory lift installed at the dealership before you even drive it home. The mopar 2.5" would work.
I would agree on this, as you stated its a 2016 model that means its still under warranty right? So installing an aftermarket lift kit may void its warranty. But if you really want to install a lift kit I would recommend in getting Tuff country or Skyjacker lift kit.

Last edited by lowender; 09-30-2015 at 07:59 PM.
post #11 of 23 Old 09-29-2015, 07:58 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
The stealership is gonna charge a butt load of money though
post #12 of 23 Old 09-30-2015, 11:06 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlimitedjk13 View Post
I pre ordered a 2016 unlimited rubicon and its coming to me in december.i just sold my 2013 unlimited sport and had a pos frankenstein RC lift on it,I believe a bb lift with some cheap pro comp springs and it rode like crap,felt every bump like I had low pro tires and it made squeaking noises with 35 mtrs.so I have a fresh start.im looking @ 37 inch kevlars and the highest lift without buying new driveshafts.i had my old oem flares from my sport so im cutting those to flatties.........I want a complete lift kit (shocks,trac bar,etc)that doesnt require anything else to work and rides like oem or better...I believe long arms are the best,....my brands are RK, teraflex and ome.im sorry but im just being descriptive and need some help here.i have a 3,000 dollar max budget.i cant afford another crappy mistake like my previous.thank you jko
Best ride and quality buy the RK 3.5" X Factor and use the Bilsteins listed on their site. We install them on 90% of the JK's we do. You will not be disappointed and you can run 37's no problem

RPMFAB
(480)329-2992

post #13 of 23 Old 10-01-2015, 02:11 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigworm36 View Post
The stealership is gonna charge a butt load of money though
Make sure you read the fine print on dealer mods also. They'll tell you lifts, etc are warrantied if they install them, but usually it is only warrantied at/by that dealership, not Jeep dealerships nation-wide. Mopar performance orders from factory may be different.

2008 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
post #14 of 23 Old 10-07-2015, 08:36 PM
Granite Guru

If you only want to do it once, get Currie.

Competition breeds Innovation! King of the Hammers Everyman Challenge 1st in Class and 1st Overall 4 years in a row!

Email is the best way to get a hold of me

post #15 of 23 Old 10-07-2015, 10:22 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Quote:

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #16 of 23 Old 10-09-2015, 10:55 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Having driven JK's with all kinds of lifts, including 2 with mopar lifts, I find this to be a terrible idea. Worst driving JK I ever went in was an unlimited with a mopar lift and mopar shocks.

Stick with RK, Synergy, MC. Stay away from zone, bds, teraflex, and other $600-$700 kits.

Someone once said on these forums figure $1k per inch of lift height to do it right. That's a little high IMO, but that's the right line of thinking.
post #17 of 23 Old 10-09-2015, 11:26 AM
Granite Guru

I hit the reset button last year with a 15 and traded in my 2010. I wanted the same and went with the 2.5 xfactor lift from Rk with their rrd shocks. I wanted to do it all at once no going back and adding arms here or drop brackets there.

I'll have to hand it to RK their instructions were on point and about the best I've seen. Nice full color pics etc.
post #18 of 23 Old 10-10-2015, 10:11 PM
Wheeler

"rode like crap,felt every bump"

You have a lot going on here. To start, if you purchase a lift kit with coil springs that have a compression rate designed for off roading you will get what you said in the above quote. Lifts that include springs are engineered for off roading. The solution to creating a mall crawler with a soft ride is to retain the original springs/shocks. That means using a lift kit with the "hockey pucks". And you are talking about a significant lift that you don't actually need. You could probably run 37in tall tires on a stock height rig with flat fenders. And according to my local dealer a lift will void your powertrain warranty so keep that in mind. Why lift it and screw up your driveline geometry if you don't have to? Not to mention the regearing. Tire width has nothing to do with lift. Tire width can be increased by changing wheel backspacking. Tire height can be adjusted by lifting the suspension and/or creating more space by trimming fenders or installing flatties. With flat fenders and proper wheel backspacing you can get some big meats on your Jeep. Especially if you never disco the swaybars and wheel it.
post #19 of 23 Old 10-11-2015, 07:05 AM
Granite Guru

MetalCloak has the best complete lifts with the best ride quality on and off road in my opinion. Can't go wrong with RK either. Any other lesser lift than these two and U'll be sorry again. I have the 3.5 Gamechager with Fox shocks and my 4 dr with 40" Iroks for wheeling and 37s for daily driving; drives and wheels like a champ! Everyone is surprised by how smooth it is. I don't trailer it the trail so the Iroks have plenty of road miles! MC just has great products all around!

If I were u, I would get one of there 2.5" complete lifts and their fender flares and run the 37s!
post #20 of 23 Old 10-11-2015, 07:27 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjeepN View Post
MetalCloak has the best complete lifts with the best ride quality on and off road in my opinion. Can't go wrong with RK either. Any other lesser lift than these two and U'll be sorry again. I have the 3.5 Gamechager with Fox shocks and my 4 dr with 40" Iroks for wheeling and 37s for daily driving; drives and wheels like a champ! Everyone is surprised by how smooth it is. I don't trailer it the trail so the Iroks have plenty of road miles! MC just has great products all around!

If I were u, I would get one of there 2.5" complete lifts and their fender flares and run the 37s!
I don't want to hijack the thread, but that's good info about the MetalCloak lifts. Never hear about them (prob because they are so expensive). Which Gamechanger? The long arm? And what gears do you run for 40s on the trail and 37s on the street?
post #21 of 23 Old 10-11-2015, 07:58 AM
Granite Guru

I said which lift I have, and MC doesn't offer long arm for JKs just TJs. Their lifts flex and ride almost as good as a long arm. I have a 2008 auto with 5.13 gears and a rubi TC.

Last edited by azjeepN; 09-25-2016 at 12:20 AM.
post #22 of 23 Old 10-11-2015, 04:56 PM
Wheeler

Yes you said you have a 3.5 Game-changer. For the JK they offer the Game-changer 6Pak, the Game-changer Rocksport, the Game-changer Long Travel ARB Edition (which I took to be a "long arm" but I must be wrong) and the Game-changer Fox Edition. I haven't gone through them yet to see what the differences are. Thanks for responding. Nice rig.
post #23 of 23 Old 10-12-2015, 03:46 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepAngus View Post
Yes you said you have a 3.5 Game-changer. For the JK they offer the Game-changer 6Pak, the Game-changer Rocksport, the Game-changer Long Travel ARB Edition (which I took to be a "long arm" but I must be wrong) and the Game-changer Fox Edition. I haven't gone through them yet to see what the differences are. Thanks for responding. Nice rig.

The shocks is the difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode