Who else has a built in tailgate "slammed shut" sensor - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 09-21-2015, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Who else has a built in tailgate "slammed shut" sensor

I noticed this a while back and today i finally had the wife as a witness so im not going crazy....

When i swing the tailgate closed the passenger side taillight flashes once. It doesn't do it every time and i dont think how hard you close it matters... but it happens enough to notice it

I saw it happen with stock lights and it keeps doing it with led light now. Usally after the jeep was off, like today went to grocery store.. put stuff in back, closed tailgate and flash. .. get home turnoff jeep take all groceries out close tailgate and flash... but i opened it right away and can't duplicate it

Not sure if i should worry about it or is there a quick fix? Gremlin repellent?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-22-2015, 05:47 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

my '11 jkuu does this.
I will hazard-a-guess that it has something to do w/ the fact (confusing as heck, btw...) that the Jeep JK/JKUs have independent Right/Left circuits for the tail-lights ( as opposed to the combines taillight circuit on most vehicles) & that shutting the door temporarily ( for a flash) disables the interior dome lights and dash indicator during the slam, enough-so-that the right circuit gets a surge of juice just enough to "flash" the pulse-width-modulated load to the rear right tailight , over the CANBus ....Now,note that I may have the reason for it happening wrong & that deduction has the potential to UTTERLY be the dumbest thing I have ever spewed forth from my pie-hole but , you are not crazy. My stock tails may have done it - i never noticed- but I have run LEDs early from ownership ; i could tell the stock boxes were a vulnerable part and gonna get broken off by me - I ripped those off on trees and the rear right always flashes even with resistors on the LED replacement tails that I run . I replaced the load resistors in the circuit to make sure they weren't the cause.
it flashes like that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 09-22-2015 at 05:51 AM.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-22-2015, 06:18 AM
Rock God

The tail lights are not pwm. The TIPM sends battery power to the bulbs.

When this happens on the OP's vehicle, he needs to see which filament in the bulb is lighting. (That is, if he's willing to put a stock bulb back in the socket.)
That will provide a place to start investigating.

Here is a picture of the two filaments in the tail light bulb.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic

Last edited by ronjenx; 09-22-2015 at 06:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-22-2015, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

J33p interesting thought and surprisingly makes sense to me as well....

I just hope that the surge dosent cause bigger problems

Ronjenx i currently have leds... it did it on stock lights and now the whole led taillight flashes...it dim tho its not the brake and it even looks dimmer then the driving setting
post #5 of 6 Old 09-22-2015, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

did not know that the "tail lights are not pwm" ,ronjenx. I , too, never had this with the stocks now that I really think about it - or maybe I never noticed- but I run LEDs rear and have always had this when I shut the doors or tailgate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-23-2015, 10:12 AM
Wheeler

I've noticed this as well since I swapped to led bulbs in my tail taillights.. It's on an '09 for what it's worth. I think it does it when I open the tailgate as well. It won't do it for a certain time period after though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode