JKOwners Forum banner

Painting undercarriage and frame

19K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  JJS2 
#1 ·
I'm looking to paint the frame and undercarriage of the new rig this Sunday. I need suggestions on method and product. If this has been asked and answered before I apologize, but the search bar gave me nothing.

#2 ·
I should probably undertake a more permanent approach which includes some prep work... but I usually just do a yearly touch up of Krylon black Satin on the frame and s few other parts and Dupli color spray on bedliner the bumpers.

I'm sure some sanding and priming would go along way..

Look at Por 15

#3 ·
Depending on the severity of how it is now.

1. A good wire brushing to knock peeling paint off.
2. A good pressure washing to clean out all the little debris.
3. A good primer to help the paint grab.
4. A good paint not that cheap .59 cents a can stuff. I prefer gloss since it seems to stay cleaner and look nicer in the long run.

#5 ·
I'm probably doing an overkill but I'm retired & have lots of spare time. Plan on wire brushing any rusty areas, clean everything with mineral spirits. Then I'll use Eastwood Rust Converter on the rusty spots, then Eastwood Self Etching Primer & finish it off with Eastwood Extreme Chassis Satin Black Paint. Expensive paint but its worth it I think & its sitting here waiting for me to get started.

Rick

#6 ·
No rust, it's brand spankin new. I just figured if I paint it now I'm way ahead of the game. I'm from RI so winters take a toll on vehicles up here. Plus once I lift it and get new sneakers I'll be doing a lot of trail riding and that will just speed up the rust issue in the future. Am I over thinking this too early? Has anyone else done this to a new rig?

#17 ·
now this is proactive thinking .
I like this.

rustbelt and corrosive ice removal solutions are the used Jeep buyers bane. Coat the thing & don't worry about them would be my go, also.
I use fluidfilm on all my vehicals here in slightly more moderate MidSouth state ....but am on board w this frame sealing.

#7 ·
I got the factory rust proofing just because it was on special for 100$.

I didn't do anything else however i touch up all rust spots on the frame, axles etc with black rust paint in a small can.

The paint in a can is a lot thicker than spray paint and does a better job in my opinion.

Been through 3 salt infested Quebec winters with no problem so far.

#8 ·
I don't have to worry about salt since I'm in CO but they have mag chloride, which some people say is bad? Not sure on that, but I use cheap $1 a can black spray paint on everything underneath a few times a year. I pressure wash everything and then spray it, thats it.

I don't ever think its going to be a one and done type application unless you do like por-15 or something which is too pricey. I'd go for the crappier but often application.

#11 ·
Havent done it on the JK yet, will be done before snow starts this year, but have had good results in the past with tractor/implement paint from Tractor Supply or Big R or similar. It has proven to be pretty durable, like mentioned above a little bit of gloss seems easier to clean.

Its not super cheap, usually $5-$7 a can, but honestly, we spend thousands of dollars on add-ons and modifications, how many cans of paint do you think you'll need, usually 4-5 cans is plenty for me, the $20-$30 a year on spray paint which can help protect your investment from the elements seems pretty negligible.

#12 ·
I properly etching-primered then laid three coats of rustoleum truck bed liner upon my rock sliders and they amaze me that they have held up as well as they have ...stuff is tough and cheap .....just throwing that out there ....if I were covering the bottom I'd use enamel or some POR undercoating . I just painted everything in high temp flat black but saturate with FluidFilm once per year on mine....

#16 ·
#18 ·
Semi-related . . . maintenance

For the folks who live in car-cancer states, Fluid Film at the beginning of salt season = :grinpimp:

. . . or move to where they skip the shitty seasons :thefinger: :laughing:

#22 ·
For the folks who live in car-cancer states, Fluid Film at the beginning of salt season = :grinpimp:

. . . or move to where they skip the shitty seasons :thefinger: :laughing:
Living in Michigan where not only are the winter roads salted, but also, in some counties our summertime dirt roads are liberally sprayed with brine from area oil wells to keep dust down.

So when new, I had the JKU rustproofed, and every autumn I clean the undercarriage and hit the parts with Fluid Film, just as suggested by ExWrench.
Great stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.