Painting undercarriage and frame - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 09-16-2015, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Painting undercarriage and frame

I'm looking to paint the frame and undercarriage of the new rig this Sunday. I need suggestions on method and product. If this has been asked and answered before I apologize, but the search bar gave me nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-16-2015, 10:12 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

I should probably undertake a more permanent approach which includes some prep work... but I usually just do a yearly touch up of Krylon black Satin on the frame and s few other parts and Dupli color spray on bedliner the bumpers.

I'm sure some sanding and priming would go along way..

Look at Por 15

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #3 of 14 Old 09-17-2015, 06:59 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Depending on the severity of how it is now.

1. A good wire brushing to knock peeling paint off.
2. A good pressure washing to clean out all the little debris.
3. A good primer to help the paint grab.
4. A good paint not that cheap .59 cents a can stuff. I prefer gloss since it seems to stay cleaner and look nicer in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 09-17-2015, 09:42 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Depending on the severity of how it is now.

1. A good wire brushing to knock peeling paint off.
2. A good pressure washing to clean out all the little debris.
3. A good primer to help the paint grab.
4. A good paint not that cheap .59 cents a can stuff. I prefer gloss since it seems to stay cleaner and look nicer in the long run.
Yep. I use enamel paint. About $6-$7 a can but its very tough

"Gremlin"
Nothing in my jeep is sacred, except my jelly beans and apple liquorice. Don't touch those...
post #5 of 14 Old 09-17-2015, 10:36 AM
Wheeler

I'm probably doing an overkill but I'm retired & have lots of spare time. Plan on wire brushing any rusty areas, clean everything with mineral spirits. Then I'll use Eastwood Rust Converter on the rusty spots, then Eastwood Self Etching Primer & finish it off with Eastwood Extreme Chassis Satin Black Paint. Expensive paint but its worth it I think & its sitting here waiting for me to get started.

Rick
post #6 of 14 Old 09-17-2015, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

No rust, it's brand spankin new. I just figured if I paint it now I'm way ahead of the game. I'm from RI so winters take a toll on vehicles up here. Plus once I lift it and get new sneakers I'll be doing a lot of trail riding and that will just speed up the rust issue in the future. Am I over thinking this too early? Has anyone else done this to a new rig?
post #7 of 14 Old 09-17-2015, 02:19 PM
Granite Guru

I got the factory rust proofing just because it was on special for 100$.

I didn't do anything else however i touch up all rust spots on the frame, axles etc with black rust paint in a small can.

The paint in a can is a lot thicker than spray paint and does a better job in my opinion.

Been through 3 salt infested Quebec winters with no problem so far.
post #8 of 14 Old 09-17-2015, 08:53 PM
Granite Guru

I don't have to worry about salt since I'm in CO but they have mag chloride, which some people say is bad? Not sure on that, but I use cheap $1 a can black spray paint on everything underneath a few times a year. I pressure wash everything and then spray it, thats it.

I don't ever think its going to be a one and done type application unless you do like por-15 or something which is too pricey. I'd go for the crappier but often application.
post #9 of 14 Old 09-18-2015, 08:55 AM
Granite Guru

I've head great luck with rustoleum hammered dark gray. lasts a long time, hides dirt, and seems to resist chipping.
post #10 of 14 Old 09-18-2015, 09:25 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by elusive View Post
I've head great luck with rustoleum hammered dark gray. lasts a long time, hides dirt, and seems to resist chipping.
Bingo.

I use rustoleum high performance enamel.

Resists weld splatter too

"Gremlin"
Nothing in my jeep is sacred, except my jelly beans and apple liquorice. Don't touch those...
post #11 of 14 Old 09-18-2015, 09:29 AM
Granite Guru

Havent done it on the JK yet, will be done before snow starts this year, but have had good results in the past with tractor/implement paint from Tractor Supply or Big R or similar. It has proven to be pretty durable, like mentioned above a little bit of gloss seems easier to clean.

Its not super cheap, usually $5-$7 a can, but honestly, we spend thousands of dollars on add-ons and modifications, how many cans of paint do you think you'll need, usually 4-5 cans is plenty for me, the $20-$30 a year on spray paint which can help protect your investment from the elements seems pretty negligible.
post #12 of 14 Old 09-18-2015, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

I properly etching-primered then laid three coats of rustoleum truck bed liner upon my rock sliders and they amaze me that they have held up as well as they have ...stuff is tough and cheap .....just throwing that out there ....if I were covering the bottom I'd use enamel or some POR undercoating . I just painted everything in high temp flat black but saturate with FluidFilm once per year on mine....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 14 Old 09-18-2015, 12:09 PM
CUNT

Location: The Land of the Polite, Where shits covered in Ice.

POR15 that is what u need

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMadole View Post
As previously mentioned, the key step in this process is saturating those whores in piss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maunder View Post
I just gotta say.. When you're being butt hurt by your fudge packer minions.. how do you decide which one gets to pull the pony tail n who's left to cup the balls.. If there is any..
post #14 of 14 Old 09-20-2015, 05:14 PM
Wheeler

POR15 is a great product. I have used it extensively on my hot rods and muscle cars. Never been disappointed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode