Painting inside of hardtop (other than black)? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 09-13-2015, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Painting inside of hardtop (other than black)?

Now that I am getting close to pulling out the hard top, I am also thinking to paint the inside now that the opportunity presents itself.

I have seen threads on painting it black so no questions on technique or paint - just color.....

I was almost going to default to black (probably satin rustoleum 2x) but then started wondering if that would make things to claustrophobic. Most interior tops are a neutral color, now that I think about it (grey or taupe, for example).

Has anyone with a black interior gone for something like a neutral or darker shade of grey?

Does anyone who painted it black have any regrets?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-13-2015, 01:19 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
Does anyone who painted it black have any regrets?
Nope, no regrets. I considered using the dark gray that I used on parts of my cage, but decided that it would still be visible.

The difference from white to black is drastic, bordering on freaky: you no longer see the inside of the top.
I was literally distracted for a day or two by the lack of "busyness" in my peripheral vision.

I just posted pics today of the black interior in my thread - check 'em out. Camera doesn't do it justice, but all you see now is out the windows.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #3 of 12 Old 09-15-2015, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

cool. thanks for the pics. I have the paint now I just need to fit the job into the schedule.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 09-15-2015, 09:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Does it get any hotter with the inside painted black ? (stupid question I know)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-15-2015, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

I think that the layer of paint might impede heat transfer. Maybe both ways?

Not sure the color will have any affect on heat radiating downward.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-15-2015, 09:59 AM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
Does it get any hotter with the inside painted black ? (stupid question I know)
I'm pretty sure it that the higher emissivity of a black surface outweighs any insulating properties a layer of paint provides.

. . . but I can't confirm, because I did this:

-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

post #7 of 12 Old 09-15-2015, 09:59 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
I think that the layer of paint might impede heat transfer. Maybe both ways?

Not sure the color will have any affect on heat radiating downward.
Have seen lots of people paint the outside of the hardtop white to help combat heat. Makes it a little more reflective and doesn't soak up heat as bad. Could maybe even go with silver for more reflectivity.

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-15-2015, 10:05 AM
Rock God

Love my black interior hardtop. Best $16.44 I have spent. A must for all hardtop owners.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-15-2015, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBus View Post
Have seen lots of people paint the outside of the hardtop white to help combat heat. Makes it a little more reflective and doesn't soak up heat as bad. Could maybe even go with silver for more reflectivity.
I am still on the fence about that since the top will only be on for the cooler months of the year.

Is silver supposed to be better than plain white?

There is also Hy-Tech Bus Kote #2150 but it is not clear how much more effective it is than regular white paint.
http://www.hytechsales.com/prod2150.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by da20captain View Post
Love my black interior hardtop. Best $16.44 I have spent. A must for all hardtop owners.
does this necessarily imply that you got the job done with 2 rattle cans?

Last edited by White13JKUR; 09-15-2015 at 10:29 AM.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-15-2015, 03:25 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
I am still on the fence about that since the top will only be on for the cooler months of the year.
My $.02: If you don't have any heat issues pissing you off, it's not worth your time to change what ya' got.
I run my hard top more than not, and 140 degree skull-cooking heat searing my eyes into jerky motivated me.
I guarantee you that, had there not been an annoying problem to solve, my lazy ass woulda' left well enough alone.

Quote:
Is silver supposed to be better than plain white?
Unless you mirror it out, a bright white should have lower absorptivity than a silver, but the difference is pretty minimal.
Paint the whole top silver, then the body, then put on H2 fender badges
Oh, and 20's
Oh, and spinners!

Quote:
There is also Hy-Tech Bus Kote #2150 but it is not clear how much more effective it is than regular white paint.
Probably a tiny bit better at reflecting light energy and repelling heat, but worse at withstanding branch abrasion than spray enamel.
My vote went to plain ol' Krylon from Ace Hardware (I avoid Rustoleum, personal preference).
3 years later, a good re-shoot of the white, adding some satin clear over, and I'm ignoring it again for a couple years.

post #11 of 12 Old 09-15-2015, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
My $.02: If you don't have any heat issues pissing you off, it's not worth your time to change what ya' got.
I run my hard top more than not, and 140 degree skull-cooking heat searing my eyes into jerky motivated me.
I guarantee you that, had there not been an annoying problem to solve, my lazy ass woulda' left well enough alone.

Unless you mirror it out, a bright white should have lower absorptivity than a silver, but the difference is pretty minimal.
Paint the whole top silver, then the body, then put on H2 fender badges
Oh, and 20's
Oh, and spinners!

Probably a tiny bit better at reflecting light energy and repelling heat, but worse at withstanding branch abrasion than spray enamel.
My vote went to plain ol' Krylon from Ace Hardware (I avoid Rustoleum, personal preference).
3 years later, a good re-shoot of the white, adding some satin clear over, and I'm ignoring it again for a couple years.
prolly not going to monkey with the outside since I will be wanting the extra heat when it is on.

I'm sold on doing the inside and will look into those head liner things. $400 is a lot, though.
post #12 of 12 Old 09-24-2015, 09:36 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
I'm sold on doing the inside and will look into those head liner things. $400 is a lot, though.
Just bought the Mopar complete 4dr hardtop head liner kit on eBay from Steve White motors...Chrysler a jeep dealer in N Carolina....for $215. Half the price of my local Tampa area dealers prices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode