About to change lifts and having second thoughts?? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 09-07-2015, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

About to change lifts and having second thoughts??

Need some advice......currently running 4 door springs (18/59) with 1" teraflex spacers on all 4 corners.......been running this for about 3 years and for the most part have been happy. I'm looking for some better performance on the trails, and wanted a more complete kit. So I opted for the 2.5" Teraflex coil lift. I'm a little concerned that when I opened the box that the new TF springs are roughly the same length as the current springs I have in there......for example my front one measured 18" (free length.....not compressed) and the new TF one measures 18.25". I realize that the TF is wrapped a bit tighter and I'm sure it has a better spring rate, but I am a little nervous that after I take out my current setup and install the new lift that I will actually be sitting lower than what I have now (which clearly nobody would want). To give you an idea, the 18/59 springs plus 1" spacer netted me 3" up front and 2.25" in the rear.....after some settling and heavy bumpers I am now at 2.5" upfront and 1.75" of actual lift.
Do you think I should have any concern about sitting lower after the 2.5" lift is installed? Anyone ever made this same switch? Should I keep the 1" spacers in there prior to installing the 2.5" lift or does that open myself up to all kinds of driveline issues.....really confused on what to do as I only want to do this one more time. All input is welcome and appreciated.

Here she sits as of this minute....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-07-2015, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

better photo, as the first one was too small
post #3 of 15 Old 09-07-2015, 09:38 PM
Rock God

the TF will not compress under the weight of your jeep like the stock ones. If they are in fact a 2.5" lift coil they will lift more than any stock spring with 1" spacer.

If for some strange reason you don't get enough lift to satisfy you add the spacers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 09-07-2015, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

i first thought that as well, but I installed 4 door springs in my 2 door.......Teraflex now makes 2 different 2.5" coil lift kits......one for 4 doors and one for 2 doors.
So I am kind of thinking I won't get the full 2.5" lift since I already have stock 4 door springs in there.
post #5 of 15 Old 09-07-2015, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

for the record, I'm ok if the finished ride height is the same as what I have now.....I just don't want to do all the work and come up shorter. If that were to be the case, I'd rather just throw the longer shocks on and keep the spring and spacer setup I have now and call it a day........I'm secretly hoping for a little more lift, maybe a .5-1", but I'm really feeling doubtful about it.
post #6 of 15 Old 09-08-2015, 07:24 AM
Granite Guru

That is a tough pickle! Strictly going on preference, because I like to see my money show when I buy stuff I would probably do one of two things (since your concerned about same or less height); I would either A: put the 1" spacers on top of the new springs or I would B: buy some 1/2" or 3/4" spacers for the new springs. Thus way I see some sort of change.

1978 CJ-5
My 2015 JKU build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 Old 09-08-2015, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

going to put it on today, without the spacers.......will report to see how the final height measures. Once it's all together and complete I'll have my answer as to whether the spacers need to go back in or not......really hoping they don't
post #8 of 15 Old 09-08-2015, 01:31 PM
Wheeler

if you're going for the same height what was wrong with the performance of the 4 doors springs? asking because i just did 4dr spring on my 2dr over the weekend
post #9 of 15 Old 09-08-2015, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by misiek View Post
if you're going for the same height what was wrong with the performance of the 4 doors springs? asking because i just did 4dr spring on my 2dr over the weekend
I had the 4 door springs and 1" spacers on my jeep for about 3 years and they all performed very well for me. Since that time, I've added some heavy bumpers and the springs have started to sag. I also had issues was my shocks bottoming out because they weren't long enough. I could have lived with the 4 door springs, but since I was going to put on longer shocks and proper bump stops all around I decided to just go with a complete kit with new springs with a better spring rate.
I originally had front springs ending in 13/14 and rears ending in 55, the 4 door springs I put on were 18/59......these springs have the same spring rate as the originals (their just longer). If I had to do it all over again, I probably would still have gone the 4 door spring route, as it was a great performer for 3 years and only cost me about $250 (for springs, shocks and leveling kit). Good luck with yours, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it!!
post #10 of 15 Old 09-08-2015, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

well the final verdict is in......I didn't lose anything.......the rear netted me absolutely nothing, the measurements are literally identical (+/- 1/16")......the middle of the jeep (center of rock rails) are is 3/8" higher and the front bumper is 3/4" higher.
The funny thing is just looking by eye, it doesn't look any different but the tape measure doesn't lie. Never noticed if I may have had a slight rake before, as it looked pretty level. And even now post lift it still looks just as level as it was.
Overall I am happy I went ahead and did the lift without leaving the spacers in. One thing I did notice, is I can really feel the difference in the rear with the axle side rear trackbar bracket installed. It centered the rear axle nicely, and just seems to have tightened things up back there....hard to explain.
Really looking forward to hitting the trails with it over the weekend!!!
post #11 of 15 Old 09-08-2015, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

i'm going to chock up the 0 gains in the back to my bumper, tire carrier and tire.....all in, that is about 190lbs.
post #12 of 15 Old 09-08-2015, 04:36 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4belisle View Post
Good luck with yours, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it!!
thanks!

looks like yours turned out better then planned as well -- hopefully you get good use of the setup!
post #13 of 15 Old 09-08-2015, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by misiek View Post
thanks!

looks like yours turned out better then planned as well -- hopefully you get good use of the setup!
thanks, I'd post some photos, but you really can't tell anything has changed.....3/4" is really hard to notice just up front..........my springs are nice and shiny though.....lol
post #14 of 15 Old 09-09-2015, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

i'll post the final product anyway....

Teraflex 2.5" Coil Lift
Teraflex 9550 shocks
Teraflex Quick Disconnects
Teraflex Monster Front Adjustable Trackbar
16" MB TKO's
315/75/16 GY Duratracs
AEV Heat Reduction Hood
VIAIR 450H Air Compressor Kit
KC Long Range Lites (100W)
SRC Smittybilt Rocker Guards w/ Plate
Rugged Ridge All-Terrain Bumper w/stubby ends & Double X Striker
XRC Smittybilt Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier
Bushwacker Flatties
post #15 of 15 Old 09-11-2015, 12:14 PM
Wheeler

very nice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode