Horizontal Tailgate - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 05-05-2010, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Horizontal Tailgate

Howdy!!! As I was loading feed bags in my JK today, the thought came upon me that why doesn't Jeep offer a horizontal tailgate like my Dodge 3500's? It would certainly provide for an extended surface area for cargo, and well, just a grand sitting platform on the tailgate for sipping cerveza!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-05-2010, 02:22 AM
Granite Guru

post #3 of 17 Old 05-05-2010, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Precisely!!!! Just add a swing out spare tire carrier and it's a go!!! I do believe I'm going to visit a fellow in Corpus Christi who's an absolute genius in custom work such as you've shown in the pic!!! Thanks for sharing!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 05-05-2010, 11:01 AM
Granite Guru

Be sure to post pics!

post #5 of 17 Old 05-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Rock God

I want a tailgate with a power roll down window in it like a K5 blazer or a 4Runner.

YOU BUILD IT I'LL BUY IT.

08 Unlimited - Flame Red "Lucy"
2.5" RC Coils & 33" KM2 on stockers

08 JK - Stone White "The Goat"
2.5" BB, 35" MTRs on 15s, Rubi sliders - just the beginning
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keeping Austin Weird
post #6 of 17 Old 05-05-2010, 11:10 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPCattleCompany View Post
I do believe I'm going to visit a fellow in Corpus Christi who's an absolute genius in custom work such as you've shown in the pic!!!
So which chop shop on Navigation does he work out of?

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #7 of 17 Old 05-05-2010, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

It's on SPID , address unkown, shall follow-up with an accurate location.

Last edited by JPCattleCompany; 05-05-2010 at 08:55 PM.
post #8 of 17 Old 05-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Precisely!!!! Just add a swing out spare tire carrier and it's a go!!! I do believe I'm going to visit a fellow in Corpus Christi who's an absolute genius in custom work such as you've shown in the pic!!! Thanks for sharing!!!
Hummm..so who is this genius that you speak of???? Off of SPID....maybe at Caliber Collision Center???

HANG ON TIGHT...I SAW THIS IN A CARTOON ONCE...I THINK I CAN DO IT!!
08 4 DOOR, FLAME RED, 3" SKYJACKER LIFT, 325/70-17 NITTO TERRA GRAPPLERS, MOTO METAL 951 WHEELS, RANCHO REAR BUMPER/TIRE CARRIER,DAYSTAR HOOD WRANGLERS, RAINGLER GRIPS, MOPAR SLUSH MATS
post #9 of 17 Old 05-06-2010, 05:01 AM
JKO Addict!

RiverRaider ST...

[/QUOTE]

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 17 Old 05-06-2010, 05:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

the jeep swag kit for $250 is pretty nice
http://www.swagoffroad.com/Drop_Down_Tail_Gate.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #11 of 17 Old 05-06-2010, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddandshari'sjk View Post
Hummm..so who is this genius that you speak of???? Off of SPID....maybe at Caliber Collision Center???

Howdy!!! It's not Caliber Collision. The fellow is a retired Navy mechanical engineer (he's about 70 y/o) and works out of his shop on Kostoryz. He did some great customizing on my tuna tower that's the envy of fellow boaters. The only negatives are that he's quite selective who he does work for, and, he's a cranky old fart, but hey, he's darn good!!!
post #12 of 17 Old 05-06-2010, 07:27 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
the jeep swag kit for $250 is pretty nice
http://www.swagoffroad.com/Drop_Down_Tail_Gate.html
No offense snake man, but that thing is a hatchet job lol.

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #13 of 17 Old 05-06-2010, 08:29 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Howdy!!! It's not Caliber Collision. The fellow is a retired Navy mechanical engineer (he's about 70 y/o) and works out of his shop on Kostoryz. He did some great customizing on my tuna tower that's the envy of fellow boaters. The only negatives are that he's quite selective who he does work for, and, he's a cranky old fart, but hey, he's darn good!!!
Sounds like my grandfather but he is long gone, we were in that farm house at the end of Kostoryz.

|
|

Last edited by bodyguy; 05-06-2010 at 04:46 PM.
post #14 of 17 Old 05-06-2010, 03:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrahawk View Post
No offense snake man, but that thing is a hatchet job lol.
none taken!
my thinking is that a 'kit' for $250 that I can do myself and works is preferable to taking it to a custom shop and paying $$$$ and waiting who knows how long for something as minor as this
I agree, something like RR's setup using real pickup hardware and real JK hinges is a much better solution
but for what a custom shop would charge to do a conversion that in depth, I'd take a long arm suspension setup instead

Now a setup like the old station wagons where it would fold either way would be cool too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #15 of 17 Old 05-07-2010, 06:36 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick View Post
RiverRaider ST...

[/QUOTE]

Yet another example of how Jeeps SHOULD'VE come from the factory! And terrahawk was right on about the "hatchet job"!

post #16 of 17 Old 05-10-2010, 09:52 AM
Granite Guru

Yet another example of how Jeeps SHOULD'VE come from the factory! And terrahawk was right on about the "hatchet job"! [/QUOTE]

Should flip one of the hinges, then in the off chance you might ever need to remove the tailgate, you can without unbolting anything. Just my .02.

Good leaders are scarce, so I am following myself.
post #17 of 17 Old 05-10-2010, 10:33 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidranger View Post
Yet another example of how Jeeps SHOULD'VE come from the factory! And terrahawk was right on about the "hatchet job"!

Should flip one of the hinges, then in the off chance you might ever need to remove the tailgate, you can without unbolting anything. Just my .02.
If you use an actual upper and lower door hinge, there is no need to flip one. Plus if you look at a finished pic of the ST you don't even see the lower portion of the hinges.

I was going to do a removable tailgate using JK hinges on the M416 build, but the way I had framed in the area prevented me from doing so,plus I went with a uniform look vs function. Now I have to unbolt the torx screws to remove the tailgate.

Quoted from my build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki646 View Post
Today was spent mainly finishing the interior welds of the sides to the floor and the remaining side rail.

Then while indulging in my bad habit of enjoying a smoke, I got motivated to pop these puppies on and get them set up for the tail gate that I have been avoiding due to trying to decide if I wanted a drop gate or swing gate. I gotta credit the River Raider thread for the idea for this part though I had considered using standard JK tailgate hinges and making it a swing out style.

First I set my marks at a quarter the gate opening and marked for the center of each hinge.

Next I shaved the excess metal and created a "tab" insert out of the Jeep JK hinges that I bought from a Jeep club member.

After creating the slots using a cutting wheel & the grinder, I inserted the "tabs".

/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode