35's or 37's? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 05-04-2010, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
35's or 37's?

Ok, I know that the typical answer will almost always be to go bigger, but, hear me out.

I am beginning to collect my parts to repair/rebuild my front axle, which took a dump on me a couple weeks ago. Now, I know that I will be able to handle 37's with the axle, as well as my lift. HOWEVER, I am starting to have some mental conflicts.

First off, this is my daily driven 2-door. I'd rather not completely crap all over my mileage. A buddy of mine who some of you may remember (Slickwill) had 37" boggers and got about 100 miles out of a full tank. Right now I am at about 200 and am ok with that dropping a little. My commute isn't terribly far.

Next, the wife and I are starting to talk about having some kiddies. I know 2-doors are generally a pain in the dick with getting kids/carseats in, but, that it can be done. 35's wouldn't be terrible, but, I'm afraid of the 37's just putting it that extra bit higher and making it even more of a pain in the ass.

What do you think? I am actually trying to reason with myself on this and am kind of torn. Anybody else in a situation like mine that can shed a little light on either setup?

Jersey
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew
JK retired Wednesday, March 21st, 2012.
07 X 6spd • Clayton 3.5 • OME LT • ORE Gussets/Sleeves • RCV Shafts • JKS Discos & Track • AEV Snorkel • FLW Rear Bumper • RRF Front• PSC Sliders • RROR Skids • Poly P. Ball Joints• Wood's Shafts• Yukon Gears • Maxxis Kreepy Krawlers • Superwinch epi9• Safari Straps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 05-04-2010, 08:04 AM
Rock God

Garage

i think you and the wife should definitely have kids!!!!!!!!

but i see where you are coming from

i would say play around on some 35s and then make your decision... if you only had someone that had mounted 35s on a 5x5 bolt pattern lying in their garage until their front axel is fixed....

2008 BLACK Unlimited Sahara
Poly Performance 3"on 35" Xterrains and 15" Soft 8s, Front Pro Rock 44, FLW Front Prerunner, FLW Rear Bumper, FLW Rock Sliders, River Raider Gen2 Snorkel, Superior 5.13s,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

post #3 of 32 Old 05-04-2010, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by joePILE View Post
i think you and the wife should definitely have kids!!!!!!!!

but i see where you are coming from

i would say play around on some 35s and then make your decision... if you only had someone that had mounted 35s on a 5x5 bolt pattern lying in their garage until their front axel is fixed....
hahaha... you are the man, joe.

Jersey
Crew
07 X 6spd • Clayton 3.5 • OME LT • ORE Gussets/Sleeves • RCV Shafts • JKS Discos & Track • AEV Snorkel • FLW Rear Bumper • RRF Front• PSC Sliders • RROR Skids • Poly P. Ball Joints• Wood's Shafts• Yukon Gears • Maxxis Kreepy Krawlers • Superwinch epi9• Safari Straps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 05-04-2010, 08:16 AM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Without reading anything except the thread title, i say 37s.

corey d

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #5 of 32 Old 05-04-2010, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUPIDFACE View Post
Without reading anything except the thread title, i say 37s.

corey d
Damn you.

Ok, cliff's notes version. Daily driver + kiddies on the horizon. Still 37's?

Jersey
Crew
post #6 of 32 Old 05-04-2010, 08:26 AM
Rock God

You should ask yourself what benifit will the 37's really give you that the 35's don't already have? If it's just that one extra big rock at MOAB that you really wanna climb and 37's will make it happen...it isn't worth it. If you need them for every place you go with your JK...then you might wanna get them.
post #7 of 32 Old 05-04-2010, 08:32 AM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
Damn you.

Ok, cliff's notes version. Daily driver + kiddies on the horizon. Still 37's?
Yes, daily drive, i say no problem. As for as the kiddies, climbing into the jeep will make them stronger.

corey d

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #8 of 32 Old 05-04-2010, 08:56 AM
Granite Guru

All things being considered, you only raise the Jeep up 1" when you go from 35's to 37's. It's going to suck getting a car seat in there anyway, so you might as well take the plunge.

As for the DD side of things - mine is my DD also, and after jumping from 35" AT's to my 37" Mud Grapplers, I lost about .5 mpg. Look at it this way, your mileage already sucks, so is the .5 mpg really going to make that much difference to you?

JD

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
So someone thinks RDY4RKS' 6.1 hemi, solid axle, arb'd, atlas'd, long arm'd, 42'd jeep is cookie cutter? Fuck it. Im going outside and burning mine to dust. There is no hope.
post #9 of 32 Old 05-04-2010, 09:40 AM
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to NYJKGUY

Tom go with the 37's you will be a happy boy its not that much of a difference and i dd mine and there isnt a big difference with the gas milage from the 35's so just do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeatenPath View Post
i dont really want to look at filthy girls anyway
post #10 of 32 Old 05-04-2010, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUPIDFACE View Post
As for as the kiddies, climbing into the jeep will make them stronger.
I like the way you think. "I'm just doing it for the kids, honey..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rock View Post
As for the DD side of things - mine is my DD also, and after jumping from 35" AT's to my 37" Mud Grapplers, I lost about .5 mpg. Look at it this way, your mileage already sucks, so is the .5 mpg really going to make that much difference to you?
Eh. I mean, I am willing to take the hit, but, I just don't want to end up getting 100 miles to a tank like Will. Unless he just drove like an ass. Hell, we had to stop 2 times on the way to rausch, and again when we got in town for him to fill up and I was still on my first tank. It's not necessarily JUST about the gas mileage. I was thinking more about the kids aspect of things. The mileage was a kick in the sack from day one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJKGUY View Post
Tom go with the 37's you will be a happy boy its not that much of a difference and i dd mine and there isnt a big difference with the gas milage from the 35's so just do it
Thanks Paulie. I love the way 37's look on a 4-door. Need to see a 2-door in person to get perspective. I'll be rolling on joe's 35's for a few days later this week and can use them as a starting point. Again, it all comes back to the practicality when we have kids.

Jersey
Crew
post #11 of 32 Old 05-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Granite Guru

Re: 35's or 37's?

I have three car seats in a four door JK on 37s. My advice with a two door is to get a lift that supports both 35s and 37s, but start with 35s and see. With a baby coming you want to think about stability on the two door and access to the rear seat.

Clayton 4.5" suspension, 37" KM2 tires, Mojave wheels, Tom Woods front and rear drive shafts
Clayton/AEV high steering kit, Teraflex SS, Poly inner axle sleeve/C-gussets/lower control arm skids, River Raider Breather Hose Extension Kit
post #12 of 32 Old 05-04-2010, 10:15 AM
Banned

I would say only put shit on there you can take off quick. I just traded my 2 dr in for a 4 dr besacuse of the kiddies. My life is offically 10 times better. No more Tee Ball clay shit all over my seats. No more splilled sprite on my seats from when the kid crawls through the front. Plus he now rides in the middle, which is alot safer for him, and 2 adults, skinny ones can sit on either side. Bad thing is he is still close enough to flick his boogers on me.

All I can say is, if you love your jeeps as much as I do, and plan on having kids, just suck it up and go for the 4 dr now! Or when you see a great deal on one.
post #13 of 32 Old 05-04-2010, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunWagon View Post
My advice with a two door is to get a lift that supports both 35s and 37s, but start with 35s and see. With a baby coming you want to think about stability on the two door and access to the rear seat.
Running a Clayton 3.5" kit that netted me over 4". I can handle 35's easy, 37's with a little fender trim. Will have 35's on for a few days this week to see how I like them. Access to the rear seat in a 2-door already BLOWS without the old-school slide and tilt seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkristie44
I would say only put shit on there you can take off quick. I just traded my 2 dr in for a 4 dr besacuse of the kiddies. My life is offically 10 times better. No more Tee Ball clay shit all over my seats. No more splilled sprite on my seats from when the kid crawls through the front. Plus he rides in the middle, which is alot safer for him, and 2 adults, skinny ones can sit on either side. Bad thing is he is still close enough to flick his boogers on me.

All I can say is, if you love your jeeps as much as I do, and plan on having kids, just suck it up and go for the 4 dr now! Or when you see a great deal on one.
Too in love with my 2-door to trade for a 4, sorry. The wife just bought a 4-door sedan for kid hauling duties most of the time. Right now, mine is the designated dog transport and will be the occassional kid-mobile. Not worried about stuff on the seats, pull the plugs and hose 'em off. It's not really about 2 or 4 door, it's about the extra couple of inches of rubber.

Jersey
Crew

Last edited by Mr. T; 05-04-2010 at 10:22 AM. Reason: added anudder quote
post #14 of 32 Old 05-04-2010, 10:43 AM
Rock God

Garage

Dont worry about the kid thing, I had 3 in that little ass back seat last weekend, 2 in car seats, the larger 'almost able to beat me up' teen stuffed in the middle, everyone laughing having a great time. Its not that much of a pain in the ass.

Rock Krawler . Bilstein . BFG . HiLift . Aeroforce . BnM . Mobil1 . Mopar . Viair

Ragga Fucking Jungle
post #15 of 32 Old 05-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Rock God

Garage

well once you put my shoes on you will have a better idea of where you want to go.

I can attest to the fact his lift will clear 37s with some minor trimming...

both are gonna look sick though

2008 BLACK Unlimited Sahara
Poly Performance 3"on 35" Xterrains and 15" Soft 8s, Front Pro Rock 44, FLW Front Prerunner, FLW Rear Bumper, FLW Rock Sliders, River Raider Gen2 Snorkel, Superior 5.13s,
and

post #16 of 32 Old 05-04-2010, 07:16 PM
Rock God

Borrow a friends kid before making your own. many don't listen and they cost way more than jeep mods.

2009 Sahara Unlimited. 5.7L Hemi truck setup. Rock Krawler 5.5 coil over LA. Maxxis Trepador 40's . ATX Rims, XRC front rear and side armor. RROR Crusher corners, RROR flat flares. Warn XD9000i. Prorock 44 with RCV shafts. 5.13 gears, ARB front and rear lockers.
post #17 of 32 Old 05-04-2010, 07:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v10kingsnake View Post
Borrow a friends kid before making your own. many don't listen and they cost way more than jeep mods.

LMFAO
post #18 of 32 Old 05-04-2010, 07:23 PM
JKO Addict!

The real question here is can you afford it?
Hear me out....
37's are a big commitment....Youre running a D30 (beefed as you said) but you will still need to watch it and i know you like to wheel so you'll have to be careful and take into account that you MIGHT break something.
The question is, once you have the kid are you going to be able to drop the money to do the upgrades you need to do, or fix what you break?

I REALLY want to move to 37's but as a college student my income is....well lets just say its lacking lol. I'm afraid that if i make the move up I'll be fucked when I accidentally break something and have to replace it.
I feel like you may be in a similar boat with the kid thing... BUT i definitely don't know your finances just tossing out a different perspective.

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #19 of 32 Old 05-04-2010, 07:28 PM
JKO Addict!

This should help

Buy BFG KM2 37's and your actual tire size will be 35.5

That's a win win

|
|
post #20 of 32 Old 05-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Granite Guru

I'd say go bigger too, but, I got rid of my 01 TJ, cuz it was a PITA to keep flippin the seat back n forth to get my daughter in her seat, that was one of the biggest reasons why I got the 4 dr

Blacked out 07 JKUR, safari straps, Treadwright 35's on stock rims and Spydertrax spacers, stubbied front bumper, trimmed flares, 2" body lift, 2" spacers in front with 1" spacers in rear, Gen Right Tire carrier, more to come!
post #21 of 32 Old 05-05-2010, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
The real question here is can you afford it?
Hear me out....
37's are a big commitment....Youre running a D30 (beefed as you said) but you will still need to watch it and i know you like to wheel so you'll have to be careful and take into account that you MIGHT break something.
The question is, once you have the kid are you going to be able to drop the money to do the upgrades you need to do, or fix what you break?
That is a good point, Sonic. The plans on the 30 were to do inner sleeves, c-gussets, chromo shafts and truss. Gears are also planned. And yes, I do like to wheel and unfortunately, the places we go have a tendency to eat parts. Either way, the axle is getting done, and I already did the clayton lift with new arms, new driveshafts and trackbars.

I know that things break, and do so when you least expect/want it to. This is where the dilemma comes from. I know that everyone wants to go as big as possible, myself included. The wife even wants big-ass-boggers. I'm just trying to be realistic. As much as I want to do 37's, does it really make more sense for me just to do 35's? From a "responsible adult" perspective , 37's may not be the smartest. I am not rolling in dough, but, don't do too bad for myself. Guess I will have to wait and see joe's 35's later this week and take it from there. All I ever wanted was 35's, but, now that 37's are definitely possible, I've been playing with the idea...

Jersey
Crew
post #22 of 32 Old 05-05-2010, 10:08 AM
TrailDuty.com

If you break something with 37's, odds are you would do the same with 35's. A lot of it comes down to driving style, sure 35's put less strain on everything than 37's, but if you drive it like you stole it, then the difference is not that great.

There may not be that much of a difference between 35's and 37's on paper, but on the trail the difference is noticeable in my view.

The one inch difference in height of the vehicle between 35's and 37's is not going to make much difference. If you can live with 35's, you can live with 37's.

Go 37's
post #23 of 32 Old 05-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
If you break something with 37's, odds are you would do the same with 35's. A lot of it comes down to driving style, sure 35's put less strain on everything than 37's, but if you drive it like you stole it, then the difference is not that great.

There may not be that much of a difference between 35's and 37's on paper, but on the trail the difference is noticeable in my view.

The one inch difference in height of the vehicle between 35's and 37's is not going to make much difference. If you can live with 35's, you can live with 37's.

Go 37's
X2....
post #24 of 32 Old 05-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Wheeler

According to the BFG chart on discounttiredirect.com the actual tire height for the 37" is 36.8
post #25 of 32 Old 05-06-2010, 12:31 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOCNROL View Post
According to the BFG chart on discounttiredirect.com the actual tire height for the 37" is 36.8
Manufacturers heights are always on the optimistic side, and based on ideal rim width to get max height (usually on a rim at the wide end of the rim range), aired to max psi and not with a load on them. The reality is that under real world conditions most 37" tires measure 35.5" or so, and most 35's measure 33.5" or so, and so on. MT/R Kevlars measure close to their advertised size, as do a few others, but for the most part they are all optimistic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode