waterlogged horn - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-03-2010, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

waterlogged horn

on my last trip out to the pines I drowned my second horn. When I replaced the stock horn the first time water came pouring out of it, I think I have the same condition this time. My question for you is what replacement horn are you using and where are you mounting it to avoid waterlogging it. I know there are a bunch of cheesey "airhorn" kits from wolo but I am not looking for an airhorn. I barely use my horn, just need something to make noise for inspection that I wont have to replace every year at inspection time.

2008 Detonator 2Dr. 6 Sp.
Olympic double tube sliders I Rugged Ridge front XHD I Smittybilt XRC 8 I Ef's pod I Chopped flares I Rock krawler 2.5" stock mod with Bilstein 5100s I 35" Dick Cepek Crushers

Jersey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Rock God

I've drowned mine in the pines. Then just drained it and used a shop vac to get out most of the gunk that was in there. In a couple of days it dried out and worked again.

2008 Red Rock Sahara Unlimited (stock)

PAVED ROADS
A fine example of needless
government spending
post #3 of 9 Old 05-03-2010, 11:04 AM
Rock God

Garage

i had this too, horrible sound

aobut two weeks later it drained itself

2008 BLACK Unlimited Sahara
Poly Performance 3"on 35" Xterrains and 15" Soft 8s, Front Pro Rock 44, FLW Front Prerunner, FLW Rear Bumper, FLW Rock Sliders, River Raider Gen2 Snorkel, Superior 5.13s,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-03-2010, 11:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to benmar2000

Been 2 years since I dunked mine and it still sounds like a sick elephant.. "NORT"

Vote - Bacon for 2012!!!
Power to the People!!! Time for a Revolution!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
roll, roll, roll your joint, twist is at the end, light it up and take a puff now pass it to a friend.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-03-2010, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockredsahara View Post
I've drowned mine in the pines. Then just drained it and used a shop vac to get out most of the gunk that was in there. In a couple of days it dried out and worked again.
Maybe I will give this a try and if it works it might be worth drilling a few drainage holes kinda like the mirrors

2008 Detonator 2Dr. 6 Sp.
Olympic double tube sliders I Rugged Ridge front XHD I Smittybilt XRC 8 I Ef's pod I Chopped flares I Rock krawler 2.5" stock mod with Bilstein 5100s I 35" Dick Cepek Crushers

Jersey

Crew
post #6 of 9 Old 05-03-2010, 12:51 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Filled our Horn with go ole Iron Range muddy water at the Gilbert OHV Park a few times. Each time it took a few weeks for the Horn to go from a dying Baby Goat, back to a sick Billy Goat (I believe would be the OEM from the Factory). I have been told right after to get it wet to blast your horn for a few minutes and that may dry/blow out enough gunk for it to work again! Haven't tested that theory yet, it may work. Frankly, I would like to get onboard air someday and go with a Train Air Horn (Amtrak has a nice sounding Horn). And use it on those just, oh special fools on the road.

07 X 2 door
Red Rock Crystal

www.militaryjeepers.com
post #7 of 9 Old 05-03-2010, 02:19 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcat View Post
Filled our Horn with go ole Iron Range muddy water at the Gilbert OHV Park a few times. Each time it took a few weeks for the Horn to go from a dying Baby Goat, back to a sick Billy Goat (I believe would be the OEM from the Factory). I have been told right after to get it wet to blast your horn for a few minutes and that may dry/blow out enough gunk for it to work again! Haven't tested that theory yet, it may work. Frankly, I would like to get onboard air someday and go with a Train Air Horn (Amtrak has a nice sounding Horn). And use it on those just, oh special fools on the road.
Didn't work for me

2008 Red Rock Sahara Unlimited (stock)

PAVED ROADS
A fine example of needless
government spending
post #8 of 9 Old 05-03-2010, 04:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepersheart View Post
Maybe I will give this a try and if it works it might be worth drilling a few drainage holes kinda like the mirrors
I drilled a hole in mine.

Marc

2007 2 door Rubicon ROCK KRAWLER - POYL PERFORMANCE - RIVER RAIDER - POISON SPYDER - BILSTIEN - PITBULL - ACE - SMITTYBILT - BLACK ROCK - SUPERCHIPS - SPIDERWEB SHADES

post #9 of 9 Old 05-03-2010, 06:59 PM
Rock God

Garage

Autozone. "Disc" horn (circlular style horn). Stock location. No problems since.

Hotrodtinker JERSEY
CREW
'08 Unlimited Rubicon (Rescue Green)
Lifted and running (for the moment)...
Planned Mods:
- Engine swap and 1-ton axles!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode