Painting rims - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-29-2015, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Painting rims

I'm looking for advice on painting my stock rims. Plastic dip or bed liner spray paint? I live in Rhode Island, so winter and road salt are my biggest fears for the rims. I'm also kicking around the idea of using the bed liner spray for underneath my jeep. If anybody has used either and has pics , this new jeep owner would appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-30-2015, 06:34 AM
JKowners Vendor

I have painted other wheels and I usually sand off the clear coat and get some black wheel paint from auto parts store and put 4 to 5 coats on and then hit it with some clear coat paint and looks like factory and hold up well
post #3 of 8 Old 08-30-2015, 12:53 PM
Rock God

The only time I painted wheels I used por15. It held up very well, definitely better than plasti dip would.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-30-2015, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I got another wheel question. SPACERS. Are all brands created equal? Anybody have a certain brand they won't use?
post #5 of 8 Old 08-30-2015, 06:24 PM
Wheeler

I picked up a pair of stock wheels from someone that had upgraded. I scuffed them with a Scotch Brite pad and then painted them with single stage Nason. It is a cheaper line of Dupont. I went single stage because its all color and if you scratch it, wet sand it and buff it back out or scuff it and shoot it with a touch up gun. Holds up pretty well. I used the same stuff on our rock sliders.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-30-2015, 10:16 PM
TJT
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiveNation77 View Post
I'm looking for advice on painting my stock rims. Plastic dip or bed liner spray paint? I live in Rhode Island, so winter and road salt are my biggest fears for the rims. I'm also kicking around the idea of using the bed liner spray for underneath my jeep. If anybody has used either and has pics , this new jeep owner would appreciate it.
Surf Youtube for a while and you'll find a lot of tutorials and info on a lot of methods. I just got a '98 Tacoma and the wheels are dirty and the clear coat is separating in places. I haven't decided what Im going to do yet. Im thinking I would just like to have them sandblasted and clear coated via paint, or powder coat.

Quote:
I got another wheel question. SPACERS. Are all brands created equal? Anybody have a certain brand they won't use?
I have the spydertrax 1.5" wheel spacers on my JK. They are the bolt-on type and the only wheel spacers I have (or would ever) use. The ones that just slide-on are frowned upon and my local tire shop won't touch them.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-31-2015, 06:50 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
I live in mass and i got like a good 3 years out of the plastidip when i did the rims on my ranger. i'm honestly surprised it held up through last years snow.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-01-2015, 03:44 AM
Granite Guru

Just use wheel paint. You can also apply 1-2 coats of primer before painting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode