Tire Mounting Helper - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-02-2010, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to benmar2000
Tire Mounting Helper

Ok.. Today I was changing out my swaybar links I got from Teraflex and to do some inspections etc.. With my sciatic nerve issues, lifting a tire is getting harder.. I was wondering if there are any devices to help lift a tire up to get it mounted.. Saw this from Hi-Lift.. But it is really designed to lift the Jeep by the tire not help lift the tire up to help mount it..

Anybody got any ideas or know of a great item to help.. The reason I am asking is I want to get the Pitbull Rocker Radials. They weight like 96lbs per tire plus the steelie rim weight.. It all adds up in the weight dept.. If I can't find anything, I might just stick with stock tire size..

Vote - Bacon for 2012!!!
Power to the People!!! Time for a Revolution!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
roll, roll, roll your joint, twist is at the end, light it up and take a puff now pass it to a friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-02-2010, 10:37 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I had one of these a long time ago and it worked great..

http://www.afrema.com/Default.aspx?P...c-50ef58c3f26c

www.jeepasylum.com
post #3 of 9 Old 05-02-2010, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to benmar2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post
I had one of these a long time ago and it worked great..

http://www.afrema.com/Default.aspx?P...c-50ef58c3f26c
COOL!!! Northern Tools has one that is reasonably priced..

Thanks, Dirty..

Vote - Bacon for 2012!!!
Power to the People!!! Time for a Revolution!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
roll, roll, roll your joint, twist is at the end, light it up and take a puff now pass it to a friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-02-2010, 10:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

No worries man i used it when i was running my 44 inch boggers on my bronco LOL you arent lifting them without hurting your self lol

www.jeepasylum.com
post #5 of 9 Old 05-02-2010, 10:56 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I use my Grandson. At 15 yrs old he is 6'4" tall and can pick me up. He's a handy tool to have. Only problem is he won't fit in the tool box.

2008 Rubicon, 4 door Detonator yellow, 3.5" lift, Motech LS 6L engine conversion, RR Skids.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-02-2010, 11:11 AM
JKowners Vendor

You can use a 3-foot pry bar--balance the tire on it with your hand, and "pry" it off the floor. The pry bar, at least, has multiple uses, whereas, a special piece of equipment JUST for lifting your tire gets cumbersome on long trips.

Nena Barlow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #7 of 9 Old 05-02-2010, 11:16 AM
Rock God

back when i had 40s with steel beadlocks on my Bronco i would roll the tire onto my foot and would pivit my foot up and down to get the wheel onto the wheel studs.
It worked great unless the vehicle was jacked up too high

09' White JKU Rubicon with some stuff
post #8 of 9 Old 05-02-2010, 11:25 AM
Rock God

If you're talking the spare, that takes some knee action,but

For a flat/rotation/tire change-I don't use any tools to position the tire, just ease the tire in place , at the lugs and drop the suspension down (EASY) to about --" above the wheel mounting holes, then plop your ass in front and put each foot under the left/right side of the tire and you can jiggle it right in place --the feet/ankles are very strong--doesn't take any back/hip/thigh action-piece of cake

Good luck

JIMBO

Man, you gotta have style

"YELLOW JEEP No. 683"
post #9 of 9 Old 05-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Rock God

2 two tricks.

1- only jack the Jeep up enough to clear the ground.. ( 1/8 - 1/4")
2- Pry Bar ( tire bar ) as Jeep School has mentioned..

Simply roll the tire infront of the hub making sure the lugs are in the right alignment.
Stick the pry bar under the front edge of the tire and pry it up into place. A tire bar has a piece of angle iron welded on to give a little more lift but you can substitute a small block of wood with a standard crowbar. Again, the trick is not to jack the Jeep up too high.
For the spare there is a technique to flipping the tire up onto the carrier that even a smaller person can handle.

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB rear, Mopar D44HD/J8, OX Locker, RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 7069, AEV Premium front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 12K Comp winch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode