Preferred brand of gas - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 08-26-2015, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Preferred brand of gas

Anyone experience any differences with the different brands of gas? Does your Jeep like a particular brand over another? The Edge gets a little better mileage with Shell, but the MKZ likes BP. So far I have filled up twice at QT. I get 300 miles out of the tank each time with mixed (mostly city) driving.

2012 Sport, 2 door. Automatic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 08-26-2015, 08:23 PM
Rock God

Garage

My father-in-law used to own a chain of 70+ C-Stores. Some Marathon, some Shell, maybe some others. All the gas comes from the same terminals, or at least it used to.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
post #3 of 24 Old 08-26-2015, 09:20 PM
Rock God

Yes it all comes from the same terminals , the additives are different by brand .
The end product may or may not be much different , but the additives and age of fuel can make a difference to performance , or perceived performance .
Octane and age will have a seat of the pants effect on perception of higher compression engines more so than the low compression engines like the 3.8 and 3.6 Chrysler engines .
The ethanol levels by brand are also mixed at slightly different values but it usually has no or little effect in the grand scheme of performance felt , but the more ethanol the cheaper the end product . Ethanol is political , corn is a commodity , the farmers will always have a outlet to receive a check or tax credit from the government and at times will also get a check for not producing to prop up the price of the commodity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 08-26-2015, 09:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Flammable

08 2 door (yes they made them) 3.5 RK lift, 35s lunchbox locked 30 front 44 LSD rear

Ocala Jeep Club CERT member. Nation's 1st jeep CERT team

Proud to be deplorable

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 24 Old 08-26-2015, 11:25 PM
Rock God

Garage

Sam's Club out here in Vegas followed closely by Sinclair.

Chevron here is not the same as any where else (including other areas of NV).

I stay away from AM/PM and the like.

Base gasoline is the same and the difference is the additives and whatever the "glorious" EPA mandates for the area depending on the time of year/etc.

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S
post #6 of 24 Old 08-27-2015, 05:17 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
re:prefered brand of gas

(ATTN: this is a subject I am fanatical about and have researched A LOT because of my affinity for combustion gas engined motor equipped vehicles since I was 3 yrs old)

cabon-based petroleum .. Teter`s Store/marina in Cheatham County ,TN(or any of the stores that I frequent along I-75 listed on Pure-Gas.org that I map on treks to go wheeling or visit my folks in Blue Ridge,Ga, or in-laws in Marietta,Ga.) . Non-ethanol 89 Oct has been used for 75k* of 80 total thousand miles on my 3.8l 2011 with a Flashpaq and comp Dynomax pre-ax dump.
I serviced fuel lines , filter and injectors at 64k and they did not need replacing ( tho i did anyway) & I have never even had so-much as a stutter or backfire. Hoses are all like new.

Ethanol jellifies hoses and other fuel system vitals and leaves deposits on rings and also crud built-up from it`s water retention. The government did this back during fuel crisis as it also helped farmer`s who were losing money with all the corn being grown. If it were so great, why didn't they run it in gas 50 years ago? I do not have much motor in my rig but until I do, I gave it some love the entire time at least confident in not having corn alcohol added into my gasoline. Once you are familiar with the non-ethanol stations from the great Pure-Gas app for mobile-phone in your area, no reason but cost ( about 10 cents more per gallon) to object. Fuck Ethanol ; it is where most failures result from , IMHO, in older autos from last 25 years. Look it up. My 3.8 purrslike a kitten ( I also have only run Amsoil 5w-30 in it for the total 80k & it`s valves and innards look new. )

The second President Bush made a decision to offset some of our dependence on foreign oil with domestically produced alcohol, and the Corn Belt senators agreed. Ethanol plants have mushroomed, ramping up U.S. production from 1.77 billion gallons in 2001 to 10.75 billion gallons in 2009. Politics aside, odds are near 100 percent that there's as much as 10 percent alcohol in the gasoline you're pumping into your Jeep and that 5-gallon can you use to fuel all your other gas engines up ...or strapped to back of your rig in your spare gas. Additives to remove the phase separated H2O from the tank don`t work .The temperature of the fuel is a factor as well. Here's the scenario: You fill up the Jeep or gas can with fuel that, for a variety of reasons, is near its water-saturation point and at 60 degrees. Overnight, the temperature drops 20 degrees, and all the water and alcohol settle out even though no extra water has crept in. Guess what? The engine won't run when the fuel pickup is sucking up the alcohol–water mix.

Worse yet, the gasoline remaining above the water has probably lost three octane points, because today's gasoline relies heavily on the high-octane equivalence (130) of alcohol to achieve its octane rating. It's also missing a bunch of additives that stayed in the alcohol—so the entire tankful should be drained and disposed of as hazardous waste.

And no, adding more alcohol, in the form of fuel-line de-icer( HEET or other additives) , lacquer thinner or cheap vodka will never restore that gasoline to usefulness. You don't want to add yet more alcohol, lest the increased concentration turns your *carburetor float or the fuel-rail to Jell-O. The only acceptable way to attempt to save the gas in the tank is to add a large amount of gasoline that's got a very low moisture content. Problem is, there's no good way to tell if pump gas has a little or a lot of water on board. You stand the chance of having twice as much phase-separated, unusable gasoline as before.
love you motors. Love non-ethanol.
you asked.......

(I have two other Jeeps + have owned 5 altogether; this is the first one ( the JKUr) that has not run Chevron ,Shell or ( god forbid) Mapco or QT fuels ( all of which come from the same terminal, yes) and of the current three ( `94 YJ Sahara, 182k |`95 UpCountry XJ which is about to hit 400,000 original wife miles! It is her daily driver and she LOVES it like one of our children ) | `11 JKUs that was converted to JKUr which just rolled over to 80k ) the first two were not ethanol free and have their fuel filters and systems cleaned of GUNK each two years. Of the choices, Chevron with Tecron is the best petroleum fuel . The older two occasionally -after they sit mor than three days- get stutters or rough idles at startup unless I shake up the tank by vigorously rocking the whole Jeep back and forth side to side before starting if they have set for a long time. The Inline 6 engine could likely run on PGA ,a can of beans or piss probably & if need be ( the things are BEASTS) , it is so rugged and tank-like. I run Shell Rotella for Diesel at 15w40 in those with ProLong oil additive So, it can take the abuse of ethanol enriched fuel better cuz it don`t give a damn .
The little Chrysler 3.3|3.6|3.8 V6 is altogether different & MUCH more sensitive than the venerable Inline6 4.0HO motor and thus why I chose the non-ethanol from day one*.

(* i bought mu `11 w/ 5k on it after some school aged girl`s father returned it after buying it for her & she hated it. Saved $8,500 over buying the same one with 0 miles so I didn`t fill it with whatever went in the first 5k miles)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 08-27-2015 at 06:14 AM.
post #7 of 24 Old 08-27-2015, 08:20 PM
Wheeler

Costco here is no ethanol

2013 JKUR 4 Door, Trail Ready graphite deadlocks, 37" KM2's, 3" BDS Lift, Rugid Ridge XHD front bumper, artec truss, sleeves and rcvs with 4.56 gears.

If it ain't broke fix it till it is
post #8 of 24 Old 08-27-2015, 09:05 PM
Rock God

I buy gas wherever I am when I need it.
Don't notice any difference in performance.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #9 of 24 Old 08-29-2015, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubiconsnow View Post
Costco here is no ethanol
that's pretty cool. It isn't a performance gain from non-ethanol; it is non- rubber decomposing , true gasoline. Not a hybrid ethanol /petrol mix with detergents and additives that are potentially long-term performance affecting ...
(that comment was not directed to you, rubiconsnow.....)

just one of the negatives is life-span of the fuel with ethanol in it .....http://www.fuel-testers.com/expirati...hanol_gas.html

line/hose deterioration > http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...aced-gasoline/

just pretty cruddy , overall ....http://www.ehow.com/list_7691892_eff...e-engines.html

soapbox ended. use what you choose. That's why america is still awesome.....

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 08-29-2015 at 10:05 PM.
post #10 of 24 Old 09-08-2015, 11:06 AM
Wheeler

Shell 18-19 mpg in town

All others 16-17 mpg
post #11 of 24 Old 09-08-2015, 12:10 PM
JKO Addict!

I only use shell also.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #12 of 24 Old 09-08-2015, 12:40 PM
JKO Addict!

As has already been stated, gas mostly comes from the same place and it is just a matter of which additives are put in it as requested by the purchaser. Out my way, a lot of it comes from the refineries in Martinez.

Waayyyy back when I was a tech, we would recommend chevron because of the techron and also include a bottle of it as part of a major service such as a 30k (60, 90k etc). service.

i just use whatever 91 is available now and do try to use chevron now and then for the techron. that and they are local. i drive by the chevron hq almost every day.

when i had the intake manifold off of the jeep for the blower install, i forgot to snap a pic of the valves and intake ports on the heads. anyway, they were completely clean without even the slightest bit of varnish or carbon deposit. the 3.6 motor has 31k miles on it.

if anyone is worried about accumulating build up by using cheaper gas without some of the better additives, there are a couple of things that can be done.

1) you can toss a can of BG Products 44K into a full tank of gas and run that and another tank through it right before your next oil change. A lot of krud will supposedly blow by into the crank case. This is popular in euro car crowds because some of them tend to get intake build up. I think the BMW E30 was an example of this, for instance. The extreme end of this (intake cleaning) would be to blast the insides with crushed walnut shells. I think even some BMW dealers may still have a factory supplied tool.

2) Another thing that can be done is to add a catch can to the PCV system. I may do this now that I am FI. At least I am looking into it. What you want here is more than just a simple can with an outlet and an inlet that has a tube on it, though. From what I gather the best approach is one that includes a "coalescing filter" in its final stage.

Last edited by White13JKUR; 09-08-2015 at 12:52 PM.
post #13 of 24 Old 09-08-2015, 01:06 PM
Rock God

I try to use Chevron just because my company does a whole lot of work for them. If one isnt available I just go to the first gas I come to.
post #14 of 24 Old 09-08-2015, 01:26 PM
Wheeler

WAWA
post #15 of 24 Old 09-08-2015, 03:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misiek View Post
WAWA
yes... water injection would blast away the carbon.
post #16 of 24 Old 09-08-2015, 04:37 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
yes... water injection would blast away the carbon.
ahh so you've heard of the secret ingredients
post #17 of 24 Old 09-12-2015, 02:04 PM
Granite Guru

Citgo works best for me, but it's all garbage.
Upstate you can get non-ethanol, wish that were true here
post #18 of 24 Old 09-12-2015, 02:35 PM
Wheeler

i just use what is near by. i have never observed any difference in gas between stations.

2013 Bright White JKU Sahara

2000 WJ Laredo
post #19 of 24 Old 09-13-2015, 07:47 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

I too have used BG 44K for quite a while in all of my vehicles. The shit works and works well. It's expensive but it's worth it. I add a can every oil change. As far as for gas-eaux-line, I use CHEAP. BG compensates well. 140,000 miles and 17.5 to 18.5 city 20 to 21 highway. I'm sensible on the skinny peddle as well. Changed original plugs at 98,000, oil every 3000 to 3500. Using Mobil 1 5W-30 High Mileage Full Synthetic. Of course because I've just stated all this I'll soon blow my engine.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015
post #20 of 24 Old 09-13-2015, 08:18 AM
Granite Guru

I purchase fuel from any gas station that is non-Muslim!
post #21 of 24 Old 09-13-2015, 08:57 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

^Word!^

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015
post #22 of 24 Old 09-14-2015, 04:59 AM

We all should do this from now on.
post #23 of 24 Old 09-14-2015, 07:27 AM
Rock God

WA WA

Wa-WA is a retail gas station facility , not water injection , they are huge on the eastern seaboard , I think they are based out of Pa.

Their stores are very large and usually well run , they also have non-ethanol fuel here but only 89 octane , wish they had 92 octane .
post #24 of 24 Old 09-27-2015, 01:25 AM
Wheeler

I mostly use Kwik-Fill because it's convenient and mostly they have the lowest prices in my area, aside from the wholesale clubs (BJ's, Sam's Club and Costco). My Liberty (3.7L) ran best on it, which was a bonus. My Wrangler, for some reason seems to love Valero which is a Top Tier fuel. I notice a little extra pep right after a fill-up on Valero that I don't get with any other gas. Mileage is slightly better as well. Other Top Tier fuels in my area, such as Mobil or BP, don't perform as well as Valero. I tried non-ethanol SpeedWay (Marathon) who bought out Hess, and neither the mileage nor performance were noticeably better than anything else. I also use Gumout Fuel System Cleaner after every 7-10 fill-ups.

2013 COMMANDO GREEN
6-Speed, A/C, 3.73's
Support the 2nd Amendment - It's your right!
MOLON LABE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode