Anyone have an alarm? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 04-30-2010, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Anyone have an alarm?

So. I've had my '07 Sahara 2-door for nearly 2 months now, and she's about to start spending even more time with the top down and the doors off. I live in Austin, TX and park her out on the street pretty much 24/7; I'm thinking about getting an alarm that will keep people's paws off my rig when the top/doors are off. Anyone have any recommendations?

Right now it's got the stock alarm, but I'm pretty sure that becomes useless(if it isn't already) as soon as the doors come off.

Cheers,

Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-30-2010, 02:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

I used to install alarms in Austin. I have the factory alarm and see no reason to upgrade it for what it is, as soon as you bypass the sentry key you may as well leave the keys in it.

Do you have the hood pin switch? If so tap into it and run a wire into the driver side dash (removeable panel) and tap into the purple with black stripe (may just be purple, it's been a year) anyway if some one opens the hood it is like someone opened the drivers door and the alarm will go off. Why it didn't come like this I have no clue, stupid to protect the battery silently...

You can also get a dei ??? 530t??? Can't remember but it is the dual shock sensor and also get a proximity sensor and wire it in to the same wire and viola! Full blown alarm for less than 50 bucks. If you need more info hit me up and I will remove the panel and confirm the purple wire.

Keep in mind the shock sensor is fairly easy to set, a proximity sensor you will fark with for as long as you have one in there, everything effects the range even temperature but yeah I plan on installing one as well, I will most likely mount it in either the flip up part of the center console or under the rear cup holders. Not sure how much the rear seats will muffle it.

Also FYI I have had to use tinfoil inside the panels to weaken certian areas while keeping other areas well protected. And one of those small piezo sirens hidden inside will run you the hell out quick!
post #3 of 12 Old 04-30-2010, 02:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Check out DEI, they make Viper and Avatel systems with a module to interface with the factory anti-theft.

For a little extra security you can get the proximity sensor but with the doors off every time anyone comes within two feet of the door openings it will go off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-30-2010, 08:52 PM
Wheeler

I live in Kyle but work and play in Austin. The factory alarm is more protective than you think. And as was touched on earlier, with the sentry key system your Jeep is guaranteed to be there unless you leave the key in it.

I added an aftermarket universal shock sensor kit to my Jeep soon after I bought it 3 years ago. Works seamlessly with the factory alarm. Plus it's adjustable to your preferred level of sensitivity and comes with a flashing led that alerts would-be thieves that the vehicle is protected.

BTW if you (or anyone else) has factory remote start and installs an aftermarket component to work with the factory alarm, be sure to locate a switched source that is live when you activate remote start. That was the only hiccup I encountered but was easily remedied and everything works perfectly and has for 3 years now.

2008 2 Door Rubicon
4" Zone Lift
15x10 Ion 138
35x13.50R15 Toyo Open Country MT
A bunch of other stuff done and yet to do
post #5 of 12 Old 04-30-2010, 09:12 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by txjeeplover View Post
I added an aftermarket universal shock sensor kit to my Jeep soon after I bought it 3 years ago. Works seamlessly with the factory alarm. Plus it's adjustable to your preferred level of sensitivity and comes with a flashing led that alerts would-be thieves that the vehicle is protected.

BTW if you (or anyone else) has factory remote start and installs an aftermarket component to work with the factory alarm, be sure to locate a switched source that is live when you activate remote start. That was the only hiccup I encountered but was easily remedied and everything works perfectly and has for 3 years now.
Did you figure this all out yourself, or were there any write-ups for it that you followed? There seems to be very little detailed info about adding a shock sensor to the factory alarm, other than Mopar has a $100+ kit that adds it, but not if you have factory remote start (which I do).

I'm dying to take the doors off my JK this summer, but I'm nervous about walking out and finding a hole where my MyGig used to be. A shock sensor seems like a good way to lessen the chance of that?
post #6 of 12 Old 04-30-2010, 09:52 PM
JKO Addict!

The shock sensor ties in just like the hood mod described earlier, only difference is the shock sensor needs a positive and a
negative to power it and the trigger just taps in to the door pin wire that I described above, and the exact same goes for a motion sensor and both can be found usually on eBay for 50 bucks or less
for both. And get dei (viper, python and a
dozen others all the same). Don't overthink it just order the parts, extend the wires, twist them with a drill, wrap with electrical tape and make all of your connections.

The only jk owners buying an alarm should be doing so because the factory one was not installed, most installer will not run a seperate wire to each door and tailgate to protect them correctly, instead they rely on the voltage sensing portion of the alarm to detect the dome light turning on, pointless! And you have to go to each door connector to tap into to protect them correctly. So whatever you decide good luck and I advise solder and heatshrink if at all possible.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-30-2010, 10:12 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

So I could snag an under-$20 shock sensor like this from eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/DEI-504D-STINGER...item519225820b

Apparently it has four wires:
Red and black = power and ground.
Blue and green = triggering the alarm. (blue for low sensitivity and green for high sensitivity)

So as long as I can find power (could I simply wire it straight to the battery like I did my CB?), I'd just have to splice the green wire in with the purple wire that's in the left end of the dash (where the side dash panel pops off)?

If that's it, this sounds amazingly easy!
post #8 of 12 Old 05-01-2010, 04:33 AM
JKO Addict!

It is and you can get constant 12v's under the steering column.

Constant 12 volts RED/BLUE IN PASSENGERS KICK PANEL
Ignition 12 volts PINK/WHITE AT IGNITION SWITCH
Starter PURPLE/BROWN (MUX) AT IGNITION SWITCH
Dome Light SEE DOORS IN TECH
Trunk Pin Switch PURPLE/ORANGE IN PASSENGER KICK LARGE HARNESS
Parking Lamp WHITE/PURPLE IN PASSENGER KICK LARGE HARNESS
Power Lock PURPLE/GREEN DRIVERS KICK PANEL 1K RESISTOR #217
Power Unlock PURPLE/GREEN DRIVERS KICK PANEL 180 OHM RESISTOR

This is for a 07 patriot but I'm sure the wires are most likely close to the same if not identicle, when I did alarms vehicles carried the same wire colors on different models for ease of trouble shooting. Example: I can go right now to any 70's model cheverolet and tell you red, yellow and purple coming off the steering column are your 12v constant, switched and starter feed wire and all the speaker colors are tan and brown, lt blue drk blue, lt green dark green and gray and white, I can go to any 2000 era chevy and they will be the exact color hopefully this makes sense. Always test with a volt meter, test lights should never be used unless you are highly qualified due to ease of shorting things out now days, anyway here's the link.

http://www.modifiedlife.com/2007-jee...iring-diagram/

the12

#217- See Single Wire Resistor Door Lock Diagram (+).

Doorsrivers door: PURPLE In Harness From Drivers Door,Drivers Rear Door PURPLE/BROWN In Passenger Kick, Large Harness,Passengers Door PURPLE/WHITE Harness From The Passengers Door.Passengers Rear Door:PURPLE/YELLOW In Passenger Kick Large Harness.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-01-2010, 04:35 AM
JKO Addict!

The12volt.com will have a ton of helpful info as well and where I get most of my info and help from. And I also diode isolate as described on their site as well.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-01-2010, 05:26 AM
Rock God

Garage
Here's a thought..

There was a thread somewhere (maybe not on this forum) where a guy bought a battery powered motion detector for like $15.00 from Walmart. I believe he mounted it on his rollbar and from what he said, as well as those that did what he did.. it worked great when he had the doors and top off.

Just another option...

I Freakin' Love My JEEP!! Hey, you in the Hummer..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I Love and Miss You Brodude..RIP.
post #11 of 12 Old 05-01-2010, 05:32 AM
JKO Addict!

Also to cover my ass and someone bitch about it, when you tap into the door pin wire or any other one for that matter the dome light will come on so you need to hook up a relay that removes the power feed to your sensors when the key is on, this way the sensors are inoperable and the dome light won't blink going down the road. The can bis really makes something so easy turn into a pain in the ass. Dei has some modules for tying in to the vehicle but I do not know if they will help with this or just replacing the whole alarm. I will look around and have the answers by Monday. There is a way to do it I just need to figure out the simplest way. Give me a day or two before you buy a bunch of stuff and I will post back here.

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

post #12 of 12 Old 05-01-2010, 08:28 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob4607 View Post
I will look around and have the answers by Monday. There is a way to do it I just need to figure out the simplest way. Give me a day or two before you buy a bunch of stuff and I will post back here.
I really appreciate this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode