Buy a Rubicon/Build a Sport? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 04-30-2010, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Buy a Rubicon/Build a Sport?

Tried doing a seach with no luck. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

The lease on my 08 Sierra will be ending soon and I want to replace it with a 4door Wrangler.

I have a 97 TJ thats lifted with 33's and front and rear lockers that can handle most anything I would want to tackle in the 4 wheeling realm.

I would definately want to run 35's on the JK.

So, Should I just buy a Sport S or spend the extra 7G's on a Rubi?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 04-30-2010, 11:29 AM
Rock God

Garage

if ur only planning on 35's then i would get the rubi.

09 4dr rubi-3" teraflex-35x12.50 km2s-17" xd addicts-kc 100 watt slimlights on kc brackets-riddlers-S.B.S. plug-orfab e-disco skid-Rugged Ridge stubby stinger-xrc-10 comp-Finishlinewest Gen 4.0!
post #3 of 32 Old 04-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Rock God

Garage

or u could get the sport with the 44 and locker in the rear, then use that 7 grand to get a pro-rock 44. idk

09 4dr rubi-3" teraflex-35x12.50 km2s-17" xd addicts-kc 100 watt slimlights on kc brackets-riddlers-S.B.S. plug-orfab e-disco skid-Rugged Ridge stubby stinger-xrc-10 comp-Finishlinewest Gen 4.0!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 04-30-2010, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I just noticed you cant get the 4.10's with an auto unless its a rubi, that may be a factor wanting to run 35's....
post #5 of 32 Old 04-30-2010, 11:42 AM
Wheeler

I will guess that you will buy a new vehicle. If you buy the Rubi, you will get a guarantee. If you buy a lesser and convert it, the mods will not be covered as well a a tail light bulb that burn out on day 2 of ownership. It will cost more then $7,000 to convert to get the same as a factory Rubi.

Just my $.02.

Frenchie La Chance
Western Adventures 4X4 Driving School & Guide Service
I4WDTA Certified Trainer
Tread Lightly Trainer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

760-415-7071
post #6 of 32 Old 04-30-2010, 12:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
I will guess that you will buy a new vehicle. If you buy the Rubi, you will get a guarantee. If you buy a lesser and convert it, the mods will not be covered as well a a tail light bulb that burn out on day 2 of ownership. It will cost more then $7,000 to convert to get the same as a factory Rubi.

Just my $.02.
It can cost a heck of a lot less than 7k to convert a Sport model to the same or better than a stock Rubi.

Mods on a Rubi may or may not be covered so if you're going to mod it don't over concern yourself.
post #7 of 32 Old 04-30-2010, 12:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

^
|
|
This!

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #8 of 32 Old 04-30-2010, 12:31 PM
Granite Guru

Buy a used Rubi. Resale will be there when you decide to sell it and if you are just gonna run 35" you should be able to have a lot of fun with the stock axles. If you put all the mods on an X the next buyer will have a harder time getting financed for enough to make your money back on all your goodies.

Jeremiah
Sierra Explorers
post #9 of 32 Old 04-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Granite Guru

If you're gonna keep your TJ for moderate to hardcore wheeling, I'd suggest saving the extra cash and not buying a Rubi... For a very reasonable amount you can regear the Sport (if you see the need to) and beef up the front D30 with sleeves and gussets for the 35's...

Just my 2 pennies.....

post #10 of 32 Old 04-30-2010, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I do quite a bit of traveling for work which is why I am opting for the full doors also. The TJ is great for tooling around. Would I look weird towing a TJ with a JK? hmmm
post #11 of 32 Old 04-30-2010, 04:28 PM
Wheeler

a stock rubicon will out wheel your tj....... Trust me I had a tj now have the jk

07' Rubicon Unlimted.
post #12 of 32 Old 04-30-2010, 04:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Still trying to figure out how you can convert a sport to a rubicon for less then $7K?

If I had to do it over again I'd go the used 2wd and open the wallet.

One other thing to think about is if you go to sell it, no matter what you do only a Rubicon will be labeled a Rubicon. NADA and KBB won't give you anything for your high $ mods and depending on who you sell it to they won't want to either; especially if you trade it in.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #13 of 32 Old 04-30-2010, 05:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojohn View Post
Still trying to figure out how you can convert a sport to a rubicon for less then $7K?

If I had to do it over again I'd go the used 2wd and open the wallet.

One other thing to think about is if you go to sell it, no matter what you do only a Rubicon will be labeled a Rubicon. NADA and KBB won't give you anything for your high $ mods and depending on who you sell it to they won't want to either; especially if you trade it in.
Used Rubi axles (f & r) - 1500 - 3500
Used Rubi t-case - 500 -1000
Used Rubi wheels/tires (if you care about this) - 500 - 1000
Sway bar edisco - not worth bothering

You are right on the value. It's worth it to the *right* person but finding that person is the challenge.
post #14 of 32 Old 04-30-2010, 05:30 PM
Granite Guru

But, you do get that super duper cooler than cool Rubicon decal..... hahahahaha

post #15 of 32 Old 04-30-2010, 06:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUjeepguy View Post
But, you do get that super duper cooler than cool Rubicon decal..... hahahahaha

Mine kept peeling off so I had it painted on. I feel even more special.

Quote:

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #16 of 32 Old 04-30-2010, 06:08 PM
Granite Guru

I have about $36K in my 2007 X unlimited six speed. But for that I have 35 KM2s, 4.5 inch Rubicon Express lift, ARB selectable lockers front and rear, 4.56 gears, 4.3 : 1 Atlas 2 speed transfer case, Tom Woods shafts front and rear, Shrockworks front bumper, Mile Marker 12K hydraulic winch, custom rear bumper, full set of skid plates, alloy front axles, and ACE rock rails (replaced the Rubi Rails). The only part of this that I would not have done with a Rubicon are the ARB lockers and I think they are better than the e-locker. I suppose i could have forgone the Atlas also but I like it.

I do have the Dana 30 which is beefed up with gussets and skids. Remember the only difference in the front 44 and 30 is the gear housing, ring, and pinion. The axle tubes and shafts are the same except for difference in length because of the size of the center housing.

Had I started with a $35K Rubicon instead of a $24K X I'd have $47K in the Rubi and have essentially the same Jeep I have now.

If you plan to build up the Jeep into a heavy duty trail rig, I think you are better off starting with a 2WD 4 door auto and put on it what you want. If you want an excellent trail rig that needs little more than a 2 inch lift to get you through 90% of the trails out there just get a Rubicon and enjoy.

Just my opinion.

"Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill", Bob Arnett
post #17 of 32 Old 04-30-2010, 06:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Wow!! who paid $35K for their Rubicon. In '08 I paid a little over $26K for an Unlimited Hardtop. I guess if you paid sticker it wouldn't be worth it.

Quote:

post #18 of 32 Old 04-30-2010, 07:41 PM
Granite Guru

I chose to build an X. I havent been in a place I couldnt go yet (besides getting stuck in mud lol) and the end result will be a better build for a little more then a stock rubi. I didnt have the extra money to upgrade to a rubi when I bought mine so it wasnt an option.
post #19 of 32 Old 04-30-2010, 07:47 PM
JKO Addict!

2WD and BUILD!!!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 32 Old 04-30-2010, 08:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes-jk View Post
or u could get the sport with the 44 and locker in the rear, then use that 7 grand to get a pro-rock 44. idk
For that same price you can get a Currie Rockjock 60 in the front, both axles locked with good reliable aftermarket lockers, and 5.13 gears. This set up will kick ass over the Rubi too.
post #21 of 32 Old 04-30-2010, 08:22 PM
JKO Addict!

I went with the Rubicon and I wheel the fuck out of it in stock form. I will eventully go with a lift and tires and........ and ........ but for now I am more than happy with my bone stock Rubicon.

Marc

2007 2 door Rubicon ROCK KRAWLER - POYL PERFORMANCE - RIVER RAIDER - POISON SPYDER - BILSTIEN - PITBULL - ACE - SMITTYBILT - BLACK ROCK - SUPERCHIPS - SPIDERWEB SHADES

post #22 of 32 Old 04-30-2010, 09:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

When I bought my X for $20,800, I could not find a new Rubicon anywhere in southern / central California for less than $30,000 (most wouldnt go less than $32,000).

Then if you add;

Front D60 with Detroit locker and manual hubs, and 5.13 gears = $6,000

Eaton E-locker, Chrome Molly shafts, riddler, and 5.13s in the rear = $1,600

5 37" Iroks on steel wheels = $1,900

4" Teraflex lift = $1,800

BA rear bumper with tire swing, SRC front bumper, oil pan skid, PSC evap skid, and PureJeep sliders = $1,500

Warn m8000 winch = $500

So for about $34,000, I have a rig that is significantly more capable than a stock Rubicon, and much more robust. But you have to be willing to put some work into it.

Oops forgot. Add drive shafts to make it $35,000 total. For a rig ready to conquer extreme trails.

Last edited by desert dog; 05-01-2010 at 06:26 AM.
post #23 of 32 Old 04-30-2010, 10:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
When I bought my X for $20,800, I could not find a new Rubicon anywhere in southern / central California for less than $30,000 (most wouldnt go less than $32,000).

So for about $34,000, I have a rig that is significantly more capable than a stock Rubicon, and much more robust. But you have to be willing to put some work into it.
I understand your location alters your price. But my 'argument' to that is.

I rolled off the lot, out the door, for $21,000 for my 2009 2dr Rubicon (sticker was $32k). For another $11,000 I can have a hell of a Rubicon.

The price you pay can vary greatly and has a direct effect on which route you go with. Buy and mod, or buy and 'build'. I chose to be able to have the 'out of the box' capability of the Rubicon while I decide and save for the few mods I actually do need to change. For what I plan on using it for, RCV front axles, long arm kit, 37s drop to 4.88s, and your 'regulation' armor..."I'm Set" for what I am looking for.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 04-30-2010 at 10:18 PM.
post #24 of 32 Old 05-01-2010, 06:12 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
I understand your location alters your price. But my 'argument' to that is.

I rolled off the lot, out the door, for $21,000 for my 2009 2dr Rubicon (sticker was $32k). For another $11,000 I can have a hell of a Rubicon.

The price you pay can vary greatly and has a direct effect on which route you go with. Buy and mod, or buy and 'build'. I chose to be able to have the 'out of the box' capability of the Rubicon while I decide and save for the few mods I actually do need to change. For what I plan on using it for, RCV front axles, long arm kit, 37s drop to 4.88s, and your 'regulation' armor..."I'm Set" for what I am looking for.
A new Rubi for $21K is unheard of ... except for the deal you got. It's pretty much impossible to find a Rubi for $5K off sticker and once in a lifetime to get it for $10K off sticker like you did. If Everyone was getting Rubi's for $21K nobody would even be debating the X vs. Rubi decision.

2009 JK - 2DR - 6SPD - 1/2 Doors
4.88 G2 Gears / Warn XD9000i / Custom bumpers & Swing Gate
XRC Rock Rails / 35" Kumho's on Black Rock Vipers
2.5" Mutt Lift / Rubicon T-Case / E-DISCO / VIAIR OBA
Rear CV Driveshaft / Rear Detroit Locker / Front Aussie
Teraflex Sleeves / Gussets / Nitro Chromoly Axles
post #25 of 32 Old 05-01-2010, 06:27 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmhines View Post
A new Rubi for $21K is unheard of ... except for the deal you got. It's pretty much impossible to find a Rubi for $5K off sticker and once in a lifetime to get it for $10K off sticker like you did. If Everyone was getting Rubi's for $21K nobody would even be debating the X vs. Rubi decision.
Well it's heard of now. Only incentive was $2000 loyalty and they over paid what I owed on my trade in. I think it was sitting on their lot forever, given it was a manual.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode