Newbie - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 04-29-2010, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I got my first Jeep (2007 Sahara 4 door) and am completely lost on a couple issues. And yes I have been searching the forums I know how forums are but all the info Im finding is for people get more extreme than Im wanting to do.

First off is tires. I am not wanting to do the big lift with huge tires as I will be using the jeep in the mountains in Colorado and everyone I have talked to says the closer to stock the better so you dont have problems on the mountain passes. However I want to get another set of tires and wheels so I can do some light playing on sand dunes/forest trails etc. So what is the largest tire I can put on my jeep without a lift, and if I do say a very small lift 1-2"'s then what size can I do. And is there alot of mods needed to do a small lift?

Also here is a pic of a jeep I almost bought and I really liked the wheels on it but dont know what they are does anyone by chance reconize the branding on the center cap?

Does anyone know where I can get a chrome tube bumpers like these?

And the salesman "threw in" a soft top that he took out of a new jeep on the lot but when I went to put the top on there wasnt any windows in the top...Do new jeeps with the hard top / soft top combo come with the windows, are they stored somewhere else or do I have to buy them seperate

Here is the jeep I ended up buying but I really like the looks of the red one above and would like to make this one look similar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-29-2010, 08:17 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I bought both tops for my Jeep. The softtop came w/ two boxes in the Jeep. I think one had the windows, and the other one had the door surround things.

In regards to a small lift, I have zero "mechanical skills", but I'm about to do either a 2.5" Teraflex (brand) budget boost (basically, pucks that go on top of the factory coils) or a 2.5" Teraflex coil boost. If you go over to quadratec.com's website and look up either product, you should see the instruction PDF there. There's also a few write-ups on Jeep forums like this. I'm nervous, but I know if I follow the instructions (and write-ups), I'll be fine, and I'll learn a crapload about my Jeep in the process.

IIRC, you can run 35" tires with a 2.5 lift.

My Rubicon came with 32" tires that I'm loving on the beach and forest trails. I'm not going to upgrade to anything until they're worn out!
post #3 of 10 Old 05-03-2010, 09:59 PM
Granite Guru

Congrats on the new Jeep. I have the dual tops and it comes with two boxes, one for the windows and one for the door surrounds. You'll need those.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-03-2010, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Seth* View Post
Congrats on the new Jeep. I have the dual tops and it comes with two boxes, one for the windows and one for the door surrounds. You'll need those.
Is that all i need is the door surrounds? In the manual it looks kinda like the is some kind of hook above the doors that holds the soft top. Any ideas on a cheap place to find the surrounds, they are pretty proud of them.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-04-2010, 07:01 AM
Granite Guru

polished stainless Rugged Ridge quadratec.com the black looks real nice
post #6 of 10 Old 05-04-2010, 07:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Welcome ...look into a budget boost and 33" tires. Even with stock gears it'll perform pretty well ...then eventually look into 4.56 or 4.88 (if you start thinking how damn cool 35" tires would look).

My Build Thread ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NE Trail Ride Thread ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #7 of 10 Old 05-04-2010, 07:13 AM
JKO Addict!

with a 2.5" lift (very easy to install and doesn't require changing a lot of suspension items), you can run 35" tires.

BUT- your friends are correct about the mountain passes. You did not indicate if you have an auto or manual. A manual will perform a bit better. But regardless the gearing is too low to be able to maintain speed on uphills with 35's. So you'll want to regear if you go 35" tires. Generally, 5.13's for auto and 4.88 for manuals. But in a mountainous area it might be beneficial to go with 5.13's in a manual or 5.38 in an auto.

and your gas mileage is going to suck regardless

I'm running 35's with 5.13's in an auto, and live in flatlands. I get 13mpg city and 16mpg highway (with a tail wind )
post #8 of 10 Old 05-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to ChicagoNative

to add to N2rock, the altitude will affect your performance differently as well. You won't get that nice rich air at sea level as you will in the mountains, I'm sure you know. So your Jeep will be even more sluggish without a regear than it would be in the midwest or the coasts.

Ian

2007 JK Unlimited X
post #9 of 10 Old 05-04-2010, 10:03 PM
Rock God

Hi Jonas, welcome to JKO!

Why is everyone telling him about 35s!? He said he DIDNT want to lift it.

Jonas, my advice would be to put some all terrain tires on your stock wheels or even get a set like the ones pictured and put tires on them. The sahara rims are 18" diameter and tires will be pricey. You can always sell them outright on craigslist or talk to Discount Tire about a trade in.

I would look at 33x10.5 to 33x12.5 tires for your Jeep for use in the mountains and fire roads. They will do just fine for you and keep you from needing to re-gear in most cases.

As far as the soft top goes, call the salesman and tell him you didn't get all the parts. If he took it off a new one then he should give you all the parts. But...that doesn't sound like something a dealer would do in the first place. Seems a little sketchy to me.

Good luck either way and don't feel like you need 2.5" of lift to change your tires.

08 Unlimited - Flame Red "Lucy"
2.5" RC Coils & 33" KM2 on stockers

08 JK - Stone White "The Goat"
2.5" BB, 35" MTRs on 15s, Rubi sliders - just the beginning

Keeping Austin Weird
post #10 of 10 Old 05-05-2010, 03:44 AM
Granite Guru

thats a pro-comp center cap, I see them everyday, lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode