Side Marker Lights - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 04-29-2010, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Side Marker Lights

Why do we have side marker lights. What good are they. I chopped my fenders and lost the lights. Easy, disconnect at the plug, move the wiring to the engine bay, label, and tape closed. Hey, a write up! Why do people spend money to buy LEDs to replace them. They are less useful than that foam stuff sprayed on the floor.

"Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill", Bob Arnett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-29-2010, 05:29 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKDoc View Post
Why do we have side marker lights. What good are they. I chopped my fenders and lost the lights. Easy, disconnect at the plug, move the wiring to the engine bay, label, and tape closed. Hey, a write up! Why do people spend money to buy LEDs to replace them. They are less useful than that foam stuff sprayed on the floor.
Some states require them.
That is why people keep/replace them.

'09 4dr Rubi Detonator Yellow
35x12.5x17 BFG KM2s they SUCK!
Rugged Ridge XHD bumper Warn 9.5ti
3.5 Mid arm Rock Krawler
Finally 5.13s
post #3 of 13 Old 04-29-2010, 06:10 PM
Rock God

DOT requirements. Personally, I want to be seen at night from the side.

/jl

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-29-2010, 07:06 PM
Rock God

It is a DOT requirement in all states for a street legal vehicles.. In some states you can get a ticket or they will tow your jeep because it is not legal to be on the street!

07 JKU, To see my mods & Jeep in Action @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-29-2010, 07:31 PM
Rock God

Garage

i always wondered is it still legal to relocate them like everyone does after they chop their fenders. would it pass inspection with them in the wheel wells like people put them?

Steel Blue 07 2dr
"Its the A.M bitches, its time for donuts!"
Jersey
Crew
post #6 of 13 Old 04-29-2010, 07:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

dark jeep + dark night =bad accident at intersection.

mines in the wheelwell

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
post #7 of 13 Old 04-29-2010, 08:43 PM
Wheeler

DOT requirement for all states amber front side and red rear.
post #8 of 13 Old 04-29-2010, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Our Grand Cherokee does not have them. Is it because the gov. considers the Jeep a body on frame truck?

post #9 of 13 Old 04-29-2010, 10:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Our Grand Cherokee does not have them. Is it because the gov. considers the Jeep a body on frame truck?
Wrap around lights count as side markers. They' have been a federal standard since '70. Side reflectors were from '68-'70. Backup lights were required in '68, and third brake light '86.

Driving old truck/cars gets you familiar with some of these, I've been pulled over for all but the third brake light. Don't no much about the Pre- brake light stuff like the single brake light in the Willies but my buddy gets pulled over in his CJ-2 alot.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-30-2010, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

In Illinois you only need one working brake light. CHMSL is gone. The research never verified they provided any safety or reduced any accidents.

I guess I will try to mount some LEDs for the side. Think they are ridiculous. If someone can't see my light projection at night from the side I doubt a side marker light is going to provide any additional help.

post #11 of 13 Old 04-30-2010, 07:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
In Illinois you only need one working brake light. CHMSL is gone. The research never verified they provided any safety or reduced any accidents.

What you'll run into is a COP will right you a ticket and you'll have to talk to the DA or Judge. Most will tell you as long as it had/didn't have it when it was manufactured your OK. The only one I couldn't win was no Seatbelts. Most stated even if it wasn't produced with one you need to add one by state law. If what your saying above is State regs they probably mean is one brake light is minimum requirement even if it wasn't produced with one.

Your going about it the right way, make is as small and obscure as possible. They can't tell you you don't have one even if you have a single LED hot glued to the Hood straps.

Quote:

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #12 of 13 Old 04-30-2010, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojohn View Post
What you'll run into is a COP will right you a ticket and you'll have to talk to the DA or Judge. Most will tell you as long as it had/didn't have it when it was manufactured your OK. The only one I couldn't win was no Seatbelts. Most stated even if it wasn't produced with one you need to add one by state law. If what your saying above is State regs they probably mean is one brake light is minimum requirement even if it wasn't produced with one.

Your going about it the right way, make is as small and obscure as possible. They can't tell you you don't have one even if you have a single LED hot glued to the Hood straps.
I work in an ER. We have police in all the time but especially on the night shift. They are the ones who told me to forget the CHMSL. I guess I am putting myself at risk for not having it but it is ridiculous and I'm bullheaded.

I looked for the sidemarker light requirement in the DOT stats and could not find anything requiring one on my Jeep. Guess I did not look in the correct area. Oh ah. There is a nice little spot to put one up front under the edge of the fender. I'll get to it sometime.

post #13 of 13 Old 04-30-2010, 09:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
I work in an ER. We have police in all the time but especially on the night shift. They are the ones who told me to forget the CHMSL. I guess I am putting myself at risk for not having it but it is ridiculous and I'm bullheaded.

I looked for the sidemarker light requirement in the DOT stats and could not find anything requiring one on my Jeep. Guess I did not look in the correct area. Oh ah. There is a nice little spot to put one up front under the edge of the fender. I'll get to it sometime.
I haven't been running the CHMSL for a while now. I don't expect to get picked on either. It's always the time when someone want's to be a dick. Most of the Flat fender TJ's I see don't have side markers, I guess those guys dont have any issues.

Quote:

Last edited by Broncojohn; 04-30-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode