18 LED's... Relay or no? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 08-19-2015, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
18 LED's... Relay or no?

Idk why I'm making this more difficult than necessary... probably cause if there's something I'm forgetting or not considering I don't wanna have to go back through and re-do it.

18 led rock lights ( pods) = 1.53 amp draw total.

Any thoughts on this appreciated.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-19-2015, 08:55 PM
Wheeler

Yes.... i do relays for piece of mind... sure your switch can handle those amps but why test it
post #3 of 10 Old 08-19-2015, 09:12 PM
JKowners Vendor

Yup I would add the relays you can them at the auto parts store pretty cheap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-19-2015, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Yea... I've got relays. I usually don't run accessories without them but this time with such low amp draw I'm thinking it would be safe to just skip it... as long as there's not some other benefit that I'm not considering.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #5 of 10 Old 08-20-2015, 05:14 AM
Rock God

I'm a big proponent of relays. But let's face it, 1.53 amps isn't going to burn out a switch any time soon, and you won't be saving much on wire size or anything. While it gives a fuzzy feeling inside, I don't think you are gaining anything with a relay in this case.

As long as everything is properly wired and fused, I really don't see a relay being a benefit for this.

Last edited by BigTB; 08-20-2015 at 05:24 AM.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-20-2015, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Yea... I've already got my harnesses made and wired in nice and clean.. very professional/ factory looking. I'd rather not go back in and splice a relay into the wiring if I can avoid it.

Thanks TB and to the other replies also.

post #7 of 10 Old 08-20-2015, 11:52 AM
JKO Addict!

No relay needed. You'll be barely using 25 watts worth of power.

08 2 door (yes they made them) 3.5 RK lift, 35s lunchbox locked 30 front 44 LSD rear

Ocala Jeep Club CERT member. Nation's 1st jeep CERT team

Proud to be deplorable

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-20-2015, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Thank you, sir. I agree.

More than anything, I was just wondering if there was any other benefit in regards to voltage spike or uneven light distribution ( throughout the daisy chain) that a relay might regulate/ control .

post #9 of 10 Old 08-21-2015, 06:14 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Thank you, sir. I agree.

More than anything, I was just wondering if there was any other benefit in regards to voltage spike or uneven light distribution ( throughout the daisy chain) that a relay might regulate/ control .
No such benefit from a simple relay. They are literally just a switch inside. The only difference being that a small electromagnet flips it on instead of your finger.

Some relays have a clamping diode built in to protect against voltage spikes, but that is on the relay control circuit (meaning, the circuit your switch is on) and is actually meant to protect your switch from the relay itself. As the magnetic field of the electromagnet collapses it can induce a voltage spike back through the switch circuit and cause a slight arc in the switch, a clamping diode shorts this spike to ground, increasing the lifespan of the switch that controls the relay. A even with a clamping diode a relay offers no protection to the load circuit.

Last edited by BigTB; 08-21-2015 at 06:25 AM.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-21-2015, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTB View Post
No such benefit from a simple relay. They are literally just a switch inside. The only difference being that a small electromagnet flips it on instead of your finger.

Some relays have a clamping diode built in to protect against voltage spikes, but that is on the relay control circuit (meaning, the circuit your switch is on) and is actually meant to protect your switch from the relay itself. As the magnetic field of the electromagnet collapses it can induce a voltage spike back through the switch circuit and cause a slight arc in the switch, a clamping diode shorts this spike to ground, increasing the lifespan of the switch that controls the relay. A even with a clamping diode a relay offers no protection to the load circuit.
Yep... didn't think so but you just confirmed what I thought to be true. I really appreciate the input... Thanks a ton. I think I'm going to just run this one as is and skip the relay this time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode