Which Wax? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 08-05-2008, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Which Wax?

What wax or polish do you guys use on your jk's? I picked up some Meguires NXT Generation stuff. Wasn't cheap, but I had a guy that shows his VW a lot swear by the stuff so I thought I'd give it a shot. Its not so much that I wanna keep the thing looking good (I think it looks better dirty), I just wanna stave off rust as long as a I can since I'm live in PA were they salt the roads pretty good in the winter time. I'm not used to washing and waxing my vehicles, but I thought I'd give it a shot with this one

Oh, and I picked up some of Meguires plastic polish/protectant, said it was good for covertible top windows. This stuff any good?

SOLD-08 Unlimited X, "jeep green", auto, limited slip, hushpower muffler, Aerotech Interceptor gauge,Powerstroke tranny cooler, skidrow evap skid, AFE Pro 7 filter, Teraflex leveling kit, EVO control arm skids, 15x8 Black Rock 909's, 33" KM2's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 08-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Banned

I accidently buoght some of that turtle wax Ice this weekend. I figured what the hell when I got home - Ive never waxed anything in my life. Stuff just squirts on and wipes off. I like it. Water beads right off my rig and even the god damn cat hairs arent sticking to it.

I am going to buy an airsoft rifle just for the cats.

edit: and i use 303 on my soft top.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 28 Old 08-05-2008, 04:38 PM
Rock God

Thats some really good stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 08-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Openly Hostile

I also use 303 on my fenders and soft top. Great stuff. Use it on the inside too. I use wolfgang polish on the paint.

Jason
post #5 of 28 Old 08-05-2008, 05:04 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoulk View Post
I just wanna stave off rust as long as a I can since I'm live in PA were they salt the roads pretty good in the winter time.
A can of black Rustoleum always worked for me . Never really had a problem with body rust on any of my Jeeps, but the frame would develop some noticeable spots on them....that's where the rattle can becomes handy. Funny though, I just threw a coat of wax on mine the other night and it was like walking on eggshells. I was afraid of rubbing too hard because the paper thin sheetmetal flexes at the slightest touch .
post #6 of 28 Old 08-05-2008, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Yeah, I just found out about that 303 stuff after I got home tonight. I'll definately get some of that once my current stuff is gone.

SOLD-08 Unlimited X, "jeep green", auto, limited slip, hushpower muffler, Aerotech Interceptor gauge,Powerstroke tranny cooler, skidrow evap skid, AFE Pro 7 filter, Teraflex leveling kit, EVO control arm skids, 15x8 Black Rock 909's, 33" KM2's
post #7 of 28 Old 08-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Banned

If you have a hard time finding 303, check the local marine supply.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #8 of 28 Old 08-05-2008, 05:25 PM
JKO Addict!

Get mothers claybar and then put the Mguires NXT wax on it..

If you really want to go all out do this
clay bar, Liquid Glass Polish, then NXT wax. It will make the JK look better than new!!!!
post #9 of 28 Old 08-06-2008, 12:49 AM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to vegasjeep

I use what I use on my HArley

www.sharklineproducts.com
post #10 of 28 Old 08-06-2008, 05:29 AM
Wheeler

Meguiars #26 - Hi-Tech Yellow Wax is a premium yellow Carnauba wax blended with silicones, polymers and other waxes. Adds richness and depth of color. Provides ultimate high gloss protection to any previously cleaned and polished paint finish. Available in liquid or paste.
post #11 of 28 Old 08-06-2008, 07:52 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post
I accidently buoght some of that turtle wax Ice this weekend. I figured what the hell when I got home - Ive never waxed anything in my life. Stuff just squirts on and wipes off. I like it. Water beads right off my rig and even the god damn cat hairs arent sticking to it.
I'm not big into detailing, I don't care about the thread count and cotton content of rags and all that kind of stuff, but at the same time I've never subscribed to the never wash it or look after your paint approach either. Turtle Wax Ice is one of the easiest waxes to apply, and you can apply it to everything, black trim, bumpers, windows, etc. It works well, is real easy to apply, and does the job.

I use 303 on plastics and stuff and it works great too.

FWIW Armor-all is not good for plastic or rubber finishes. It actually helps it fade, as it breaks the heat seal down, the top layer that was in contact with the form when the piece was molded.

It will also crack the plastic over time, as will many oil based products, it contains dimethyl silicone oil, and some other petro products. These will leach the preservatives out of the plastic and replace them with the nasties in Armor-all. To prevent it drying out, you will have to keep applying more Armor-all, if you don't it will crack (and look like crap), if you do, it just gets worse and worse.
post #12 of 28 Old 08-06-2008, 09:15 AM
Granite Guru

I am using Rejex. It is super easy to apply, and stops the [email protected]#%#$g bugs from sticking. Even road tar and pine pitch just wipe off. (don't ask how I know) Kind of spendy, but you should only have to apply twice a year or so.

2012 JKUR Bright White
EVO Enforcer 4" w King 2.0's
37" Toyo Open Country MT's
post #13 of 28 Old 08-06-2008, 11:36 AM
JKO Addict!

ICE! That stuff is awesome! Get the wax (liquid claybar system) and the detail spray
post #14 of 28 Old 08-06-2008, 12:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster View Post
ICE! That stuff is awesome! Get the wax (liquid claybar system) and the detail spray
you must be onto something.... I remember you even wax your door pillars and it was nice and smooth THat's not saying much. I've waxed the inside of my doors!

I need to try that when the NXT runs out.
post #15 of 28 Old 08-06-2008, 03:21 PM
Granite Guru

I like the Ice wax myself there is no white residue on the plastic handles or cab corners.

07 Jeep Unlimited,Rescue Green,Hardtop,Auto,18" Pro Comp Wheels,Pro comp tires and 3" Black Diamond Lift
Red Rock Fab.Pre-runner winch bumper,Superwinch EPI9.0,KC lights
post #16 of 28 Old 08-06-2008, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I hear ya on the Armor All Phil, I've never used the stuff for the reasons you mentioned. I picked up a bottle of Meguires Natural Shine protectant, I'll have to see if it has any petrolium products in it. I might just return some of the stuff I got and see if I can find a gallon of 303 somewhere in my area.

post #17 of 28 Old 08-06-2008, 07:59 PM

Ice wax for me also.
I was sceptical at first but it won me over.

2008 JK "X" Unlimited-Redrock, hardtop, stock for now.
post #18 of 28 Old 08-06-2008, 09:47 PM
JR
Rock God

I've always used meguiars gold class wax or gold class cleaner wax

Jason from RJR Off-Road

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

coupon code = JKOWNERS
post #19 of 28 Old 08-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Rock God

My buddy works in the RV industry and told me there's new evidence emerging that wax is bad for paint because it causes the paint to overheat and oxidize faster than no wax at all. Wax doesn't allow the paint to breathe. Plus wax acts like a magnifying glass overheating the paint. He said they are using "Gel Gloss" now. It comes in a white and pink spray can and can be found a Home Depot. You spray it on and wipe it around. It allows the paint to breathe and stay cool. The only down side to gel gloss is you have to reapply more frequently, like every few months instead of once a year like wax. It's nice and shiny too.

post #20 of 28 Old 08-07-2008, 10:38 AM
TrailDuty.com

I though gel gloss was predominantly for fiberglass? Good for boats and RV's, not so sure about vehicles???
post #21 of 28 Old 08-07-2008, 10:58 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
I though gel gloss was predominantly for fiberglass? Good for boats and RV's, not so sure about vehicles???
Yeah true, they use it on RVs with fiberglass and metal siding. The fact is that wax causes paint to overheat and degrade rapidly. My friend said wax doesn't allow paint to expand and contract with temp as well as gel gloss does. Which in turn causes cracking.
I've been using it on my hot rod with a cheap Omni pure white single stage paint job for a while now and it works great. It's good on chrome too.
post #22 of 28 Old 08-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Granite Guru

I've been using turtle wax Ice since I got my black JK last summer. For me this is the best stuff I've come across. No white residue, and hell I can even wax the fenders and bumpers with the stuff.
post #23 of 28 Old 08-27-2008, 10:40 PM
Wheeler

Haven't used it on the JK yet, but planning to do Zaino again...used it on a Ninja I had quite a few years back and it was like a thin even sheet of water on the paint; simply awesome. I haven't seen anything that rivals it. The only downside is that you can only order it through mail and it's a bit expensive.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "HOLY $HIT...WHAT A RIDE!"
post #24 of 28 Old 08-29-2008, 10:35 AM

What you guys use for the fenders other than ICE? I always like Mothers Back to Black, that stuff really makes it look a deep black.
post #25 of 28 Old 08-29-2008, 11:53 AM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to vegasjeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErylFlynn View Post
What you guys use for the fenders other than ICE? I always like Mothers Back to Black, that stuff really makes it look a deep black.
get the stuff i posted earlier in this thread

i use it on paint, interior plastic, everything.

08 Rubicon Unlimited-Just about stock!
I'll keep my guns, my freedom, and my money... You keep "The Change"!
Ask me about SH!TTY companies like Full Traction, Pure Jeep, and others!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode