Getting To Moab - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 08-16-2015, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Getting To Moab

My cousin and I are trying to plan a trip to Moab. He has a TJ which he would really not want to drive that whole way. He has a 3/4 ton diesel truck and a trailer for his Jeep, but his trailer will only haul one Jeep, so in that scenario I would have to drive separate, which would be lame to each drive alone for that distance.

We are looking into renting a two car hauler and simply hauling both Jeeps. We're looking into other options as well, but so far, nothing is simple.

What have you all done? What are your suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-16-2015, 11:17 AM
Granite Guru

I see your dilemma, although this sport is considered a group activity you are very much on your own. Be perpaired to get there and get home with your personal equipment. This way you have no one to blame when things go sideways. A few options I have seen others do is rent a MH to pull a second trailer and use CBs for commutations or you can pay some one to deliver both jeeps.( trucking co). Getting to Moab is part of the adventure, it cost to rent,tow or to pay. Look at the cost and pick the best option. The trip is worth the price
post #3 of 4 Old 08-16-2015, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doormandan View Post
I see your dilemma, although this sport is considered a group activity you are very much on your own. Be perpaired to get there and get home with your personal equipment. This way you have no one to blame when things go sideways. A few options I have seen others do is rent a MH to pull a second trailer and use CBs for commutations or you can pay some one to deliver both jeeps.( trucking co). Getting to Moab is part of the adventure, it cost to rent,tow or to pay. Look at the cost and pick the best option. The trip is worth the price
His brother has a trailer that should just fit both Jeeps. We could get them on it, but it would be very tight and we would likely have to take the spare tire and carrier off one or both of the Jeeps (not a big deal). I don't think he really wants us to pull it across the country and back though, and I can't blame him. He hasn't said straight out one way or another when we mentioned it, and I think that's as good as saying no. We certainly don't want to push the issue in case he would say yes but really not want us to use it.

Part of the adventure indeed. We could just drive separate, but it's not the same. Not that we couldn't deal (and I'm sure it would bring it's own unique experiences), but it would be greatly preferred to find a way that would have us riding together. We've taken multiple trips out west over the years, and the road trip has always been half the fun.

On our last trip we stopped at Moab on the way to California, and ended up spending an extra day there, renting four wheelers (or quads, depending on your preferred terminology). It was amazing and the highlight of the trip. We decided that our next trip would simply be a trip to Moab. Now that we both have Jeeps, it seems to me it would be a crying shame to go there and not have our Jeeps. I know I for one would be haunted the whole time if I was there without my Jeep. So we figured that if we are going to go, we have to find a way to take our Jeeps if at all possible.

I have two way radios if we drive separate. I don't have a CB, but I would be open to getting one. I do have a dual band amateur radio in my Jeep, but he doesn't, and has no license (not gonna happen either). I also doubt he would get a CB. Just not his thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-16-2015, 08:22 PM
Rock God

Another option would be to trailer one jeep out there and then rent the second jeep. Twisted Jeep rentals has some bad ass rigs for rent. Spendy but probably less than the cost of renting a trailer big enough for both Jeeps.

Matt runs a great rental business and he allows his rentals on almost every trail............almost.

Other options would be to have one Jeep hauled to Moab, or perhaps Denver. Someone has to be there to accept delivery, but lots of fellow JKO's in Denver that might be willing to help out with such an arrangement. The drive from Denver is about 5.5 hours.

Just spitballing some ideas............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode