Trac Bar Question For 4" Lift - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 04-28-2010, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Trac Bar Question For 4" Lift

Okay, I have a 4 inch lift (springs and shocks) that came with a drop pitman arm and the front drop tracbar bracket on my unlimited now, Recently I purchased an adjustable tracbar to upgrade things a little, I took the drop bracket off and mounted it but it gave me some bump steer so put the drop and factory one back on till I have more time to work with things, do I need to use the factory pitman arm with the adjustable trac to put things back to parallel, How do some of you all have your setups with a 4 inch? I think the drop pitman arm was creating the bump steer for me... am I correct in thinking this?

Thanks Guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-28-2010, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

any help?
post #3 of 9 Old 04-28-2010, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Track-bar and drag-link need to be as parallel as possible. The dropped pitman arm could have been giving you issues if it put the drag-link at too much of an angle from the track-bar.

I am running a 4 1/2" lift with a Poly Performance drag-link on the stock pitman arm & dropped track-bar mount with a RE adj track-bar. The drag-link is flipped.

I have no issues with anything atm. the jeep handles/ drives very well with this set up.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-28-2010, 04:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkbooth View Post
Okay, I have a 4 inch lift (springs and shocks) that came with a drop pitman arm and the front drop tracbar bracket on my unlimited now, Recently I purchased an adjustable tracbar to upgrade things a little, I took the drop bracket off and mounted it but it gave me some bump steer so put the drop and factory one back on till I have more time to work with things, do I need to use the factory pitman arm with the adjustable trac to put things back to parallel, How do some of you all have your setups with a 4 inch? I think the drop pitman arm was creating the bump steer for me... am I correct in thinking this?

Thanks Guys
Why can't you use your adjustable trackbar with the drop bracket? Is the trackbar too long when you use the drop bracket?

If you had to take the drop bracket off, you just might need to go back to your stock pitman arm. Yep your tackbar and draglink must be parallel.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-28-2010, 05:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
Why can't you use your adjustable trackbar with the drop bracket? Is the trackbar too long when you use the drop bracket?

If you had to take the drop bracket off, you just might need to go back to your stock pitman arm. Yep your tackbar and draglink must be parallel.
My thought Exactly. Use the adjustabe and the drop bracket. But I'd ditch the pitman arm in the near future and run the drag link flip. The OEM pitman arm is dropped enough the extra drop will stress the sector shaft even more.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-28-2010, 06:07 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojohn View Post
My thought Exactly. Use the adjustabe and the drop bracket. But I'd ditch the pitman arm in the near future and run the drag link flip. The OEM pitman arm is dropped enough the extra drop will stress the sector shaft even more.
Really.....

Dropped pitman arm surely didn't help this happen.

Last edited by abendx; 04-28-2010 at 06:09 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-28-2010, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post

I thought the whole reason behind an adjustable trackbar was to eliminate the drop bracket???
post #8 of 9 Old 04-28-2010, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkbooth View Post
I thought the whole reason behind an adjustable trackbar was to eliminate the drop bracket???
That's one reason yes- plus with front & rear adjustable track-bars you can better center your axles if need be. I actually run a drop bracket on the front of my Jeep without one on the rear. My front bracket is welded on, but I could remove it if necessary.

The question is- will your drag-link and track-bar be more parallel with one another running the dropped bracket?...or without it?

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #9 of 9 Old 04-29-2010, 10:13 AM
Rock God

Re: Trac Bar Question For 4" Lift

If the kit you are using was supplied with both a drop pitman arm and drop track bar bracket then you should use both together. In fact, if both of those parts were supplied they were probably designed around the oem track bar. Replacing the oem track bar with these steering correction parts more then likely goes against what they engineered. If you replace the oem track bar with an adjustable unit set to the same length then what's the point?

Honestly, I would either use the supplied steering correction parts with the oem track bar OR go back to stock in conjunction with the adjustable bar. One or the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those that the beast is looking for...
Listen in awe and you will hear him...
BARK AT THE MOON!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode