grill guard (mesh) - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 08-13-2015, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

grill guard (mesh)

for those of you doing the grill guard (mesh) mod, which zip tie holders are you using?? i did it about a month ago, and today i had to remove the grill to install an aftermarket trans fluid cooler... well, i found out that all of the zip tie holders had become unglued.... the mesh was only in place because there was nowhere else to go, i had noticed it was a little closer to the radiator than what i had left it, but when i removed the grill, it fell down....

so, what are you using to hold it in place?? another glue to fix the zip tie holders in place??

2007 JKU, 2.5" Rock Krawler lift, 285/70 17 mud terrains....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-13-2015, 10:57 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Buy those UV rated black square holders from Lowes or HD. Made by T&B or Panduit, promptly strip off that white foam garbage that they consider two sided tape. Once clear of that crap, clean and rough up the surface of each square and replace with 3M Heavy Duty adhesive tape. Make sure the mounting surface is clean and roughed up too. Then give them a couple of day without pressure to cure and hold. (3M states on their instuctions that heat actually aids in bonding.) Then re-secure the cable wraps. Should hold up fine. I have two strips of that 3M HD holding my HID ballasts to the body mount support on either side of the vehicle, neither have budged since install a year ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-14-2015, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thanx, ill have to get me that 3M tape and fix this thing... i cleaned with alcohol and removed all dirt, oil and everything, but i did use the stock double sided tape that came on the zip tie holders, and i didnt gave time for them to stick, i just sticked them all in place and as soon as i finished i began zip tying the mesh....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-14-2015, 01:09 AM
Granite Guru

Grille guard

I bought locally a 1-piece (rectangular) metal mesh GG kit which came with the same anchors & zip ties. The proprietor said they'd work fine to hold the metal, but after l cleaned the grille with alcohol and applied the squares, he reccommended that I put a bead of adhesive around each anchor. His other advice was not to pull the zip ties too tight.

Also, when I applied each pad, I "wet out" it's own adhesive tape by holding pressure on each pad for about 10 seconds.

I was going to go the Lowes/HD route, but decided that the larger mesh opening would be better for air flow, and that metal would better resist flying objects and UV attack. I got the kit for about $48 because I wanted the large mesh (+$10) and black powdercoat (+$10). I will post a photo, when I shoot a decent one. The black looks great against the Anvil. Since I am no part of the business, I don't think that I'm violating Forum rules by listing where I got the kit. Matt at CustomCarGrills.com. He has a YouTube for the JK.

I did this just last weekend, and I used JB Weld for the added adhesive.

Last edited by JJS2; 08-14-2015 at 01:16 AM.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-14-2015, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thanx, maybe all i need is the JB weld or something similar.

im also using a metal mesh ( i already had it laying around), i just spray painted it black and cut it to size.... i wasnt sure if i liked it or not, but now that i removed it, i definitely prefer to have it, the radiators seem too exposed....

now i need to know where can i find JB weld in Mexico...

post #6 of 6 Old 08-14-2015, 01:46 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu2kill View Post
for those of you doing the grill guard (mesh) mod, which zip tie holders are you using?? i did it about a month ago, and today i had to remove the grill to install an aftermarket trans fluid cooler... well, i found out that all of the zip tie holders had become unglued.... the mesh was only in place because there was nowhere else to go, i had noticed it was a little closer to the radiator than what i had left it, but when i removed the grill, it fell down....

so, what are you using to hold it in place?? another glue to fix the zip tie holders in place??
I used gorilla glue on them after I stuck them on.

2010 Red Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed - Traded!

2014 Red Unlimited Rubicon X 6 speed - starting over!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode