Rough Country 2.5" Coil Lift - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 04-27-2010, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Rough Country 2.5" Coil Lift

You know what they say - if it seems too good to be true it probably is?

What do you guys think of Rough Country and their 2.5" coil lift? $329 seems incredibly inexpensive (cheap?) It looks like the ONLY things in this kit are the coils and shocks. Would I need any sort of relocation brackets (track bar, brake lines, etc) or need to make additional modifications (steering stabilizer?)?

Thanks guys. I wasn't planning on getting a lift for awhile, but at $329 if this works I may pull the trigger and be done.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 04-27-2010, 08:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Yes, I'm running that.

You will need longer swaybar links for the front. If you don't have electronic disconnects up front, then just buy some longer disconnects. My preference is JKS disco's. If you have e-disco on the front, then just buy longer rear links, and then move the rears to the front.

You should also relocate the rear brakeline. Cheap and easy- go to a hardware store and pick up a package of "fence menders" (2 for $3). Like this

post #3 of 24 Old 04-27-2010, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for the info. Looks like for $379 the RC kits come with all of that plus another .75" spacer all the way around. So that's what I'm looking at now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 04-27-2010, 12:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Yeah I am runing that kit too, but I went with the 3 1/4" kit. It comes with the trackbar relocation and the swaybar extentions. The only problem I am having now is my rear flexes so much that my springs can fall out. N2rock are you having that problem???
post #5 of 24 Old 04-27-2010, 01:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Nope- never had that issue. The length of the shocks should limit how far it can flex.
post #6 of 24 Old 04-27-2010, 02:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Maybe I used the wrong shock mounts for the back. I had shock extensions on it before the new shocks so I probably got mixed up when I thought I was putting the stock ones back on.
post #7 of 24 Old 04-27-2010, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

N2rock, I saw in another thread where you were thinking of cashing in all the RC stuff for something better. Is that due to the poor quality of RC or do you just have dreams of going bigger at this point?

Also, how is the ride with this kit? Am I going to be missing the plush stock feel of my Rubicon?
post #8 of 24 Old 04-27-2010, 02:43 PM
JKO Addict!

I had always planned on going taller eventually. But there is so much more involved when going higher. So it was technically and monetarily more than I wanted to bite off to begin with. So I started small and inexpensive, with the thought to buy all the other necessary components (IE: trackbars, control arms, etc) over time. So instead of having to shell out a ton of money at once, I would build over time.

One of my rear coils did ultimately sag. I didn't notice it, Redneckhouston noticed it when he was driving behind me one day in December. A couple weeks ago I finally got around to calling RC about it. My kit was 1.5 years old by that point, and I figured they would just tell me "tough chit". But nope- when I called, they jumped right on it and Fedex'd me 2 new rear coils.
post #9 of 24 Old 04-27-2010, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

That's good to hear about the good customer service. If I go with the 3.25" am I going to get in to more of those issues like drive shaft angle, adjustable track bars, brake lines, etc? I honestly don't ever see myself going over 35" tires so if this kit can accomplish that without too much other drama I'm going to be all over it.

I see where Black Diamond offers swivel links for extra caster with their 3" kit along with an adjustable front track bar. It has me wondering about going to 3.25" without those items...
post #10 of 24 Old 04-27-2010, 03:32 PM
Rock God

Got it on my Unlimited with NO additions what so ever. I even ran it with 35x12.50s on the stock wheels with no spacers. Everyone will tell you it can't be done. I did it, but I wouldn't take it offroad like that.

You can get that kit for $300 if you shop a little. I bought mine from a local shop for $300, no tax and no shipping.

I enjoy the ride, don't have any complaints, and don't notice any sag. I put 285s back on it for flex, room, 3.73s + auto, and because I disliked wheel spacers.

I'll try to remember to post pictures for you.

Also put the 3.75" on a guy's 2 door up here and I don't think he needed anything else but he never talked to me again after I spent an afternoon wrenching on his junk. LOL

08 Unlimited - Flame Red "Lucy"
2.5" RC Coils & 33" KM2 on stockers

08 JK - Stone White "The Goat"
2.5" BB, 35" MTRs on 15s, Rubi sliders - just the beginning
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keeping Austin Weird
post #11 of 24 Old 04-27-2010, 03:45 PM
JKO Addict!

I think the reality of why you need so much more with the other kits. Is because with the RC, you actually end up with slightly less than advertised height (especially with 4dr). And the other kits you end up with more than advertised height. So with the other kits since you're getting higher numbers, you end up having to change out more parts to get the suspension dialed in correctly.
post #12 of 24 Old 04-27-2010, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

So Marcus it looks like you are running the 2.5" kit? If I go with the 3.25" kit and some tube fenders do you think I'll be alright wheeling with 35s? I already have some 16X8 Mohave wheels with 4.5 back space and the Bushwacker flat fenders are on a UPS truck. I also have 4.10 gearing which, while still not ideal, should help me out over the 3.73s. What do you think? Would you have gone with the 35s in that situation?

I also have aftermarket front and rear bumpers coming (and a sawzall I'm not afraid to use).
post #13 of 24 Old 04-27-2010, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
I think the reality of why you need so much more with the other kits. Is because with the RC, you actually end up with slightly less than advertised height (especially with 4dr). And the other kits you end up with more than advertised height. So with the other kits since you're getting higher numbers, you end up having to change out more parts to get the suspension dialed in correctly.
That's a good thought and totally fine with me. I'm looking to do "just enough" without getting too crazy. I've wheeled some insane trails in a locked (and WELL armored) KJ on 31's and now with the JK I'm starting out with 32's and talking about 35's - I know it will get me wherever I want to go. Wheeling with this JK is going to be so easy it will be like cheating after driving that KJ for 7 years.
post #14 of 24 Old 04-27-2010, 04:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyjump136 View Post
So Marcus it looks like you are running the 2.5" kit? If I go with the 3.25" kit and some tube fenders do you think I'll be alright wheeling with 35s?
You'll be more than alright! That will look and wheel awesome!

I'm running 2.5" lift with 2" body lift, and 35's. Maybe someday I'll ditch the body lift and get tube fenders instead.
post #15 of 24 Old 04-27-2010, 04:06 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyjump136 View Post
So Marcus it looks like you are running the 2.5" kit? If I go with the 3.25" kit and some tube fenders do you think I'll be alright wheeling with 35s? I already have some 16X8 Mohave wheels with 4.5 back space and the Bushwacker flat fenders are on a UPS truck. I also have 4.10 gearing which, while still not ideal, should help me out over the 3.73s. What do you think? Would you have gone with the 35s in that situation?

I also have aftermarket front and rear bumpers coming (and a sawzall I'm not afraid to use).
You'll be just fine my friend. I think I have a stuffed flex picture with the 35s and the spacers, there wasn't much rubbing.

If I had the money to re-gear at the time I'd still be on 35s.

My problem is the wife daily drives that one and I didn't want her having to remember to push the OD button and I wasn't comfortable with her driving on wheel spacers. They give me the willys. LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keeping Austin Weird
post #16 of 24 Old 04-27-2010, 04:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

PURE BLOODY GARBAGE.
Had this kit on my fiancee's 2-door. Bone stock otherwise, OEM bumpers, 6-speed softtop- you don't get any lighter.
The first set of springs started sagging in the rear in about a month. No biggie, they say, and ship me out another set. They sagged inside of a WEEK. Garbage. You get the exact amount of crap you pay for.
Kept the shocks on for a bit (this is now month #2), and at the end of the month, one was leaking, and another was making a popping sound. Sent the whole thing back and went with a set of 4-door OEM coils and shocks. Much better ride, handling, and zero issues- save up and get GOOD stuff, not this garbage- Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
post #17 of 24 Old 04-27-2010, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Duke, how much sagging are we talking here? Pretty much all lifts go through some sort of "settling" but I take it this was more than normal?
post #18 of 24 Old 04-27-2010, 07:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

I mean sag- 1-2" in the rear. Yes, there is always some settling, but this goes way beyond settling. To clarify, this is without doing anything more than just driving down the road to and from work- no off-roading, no mud running or rock climbing- just a daily commute- Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
post #19 of 24 Old 04-27-2010, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks. I think for $300 I'm still going to chance it. If I have to swap out the back with some Teraflex 2.5" springs I'm looking at an additional $233. Still a pretty inexpensive lift after all is said and done.
post #20 of 24 Old 04-27-2010, 08:16 PM
Rock God

I honestly don't understand all this sagging talk. I really dont.

35s:

35s - swaybars were connected, this was on the side of the road

33s flex w/bars disco'd

Here it is 2 weeks ago...no sag.

Keeping Austin Weird

Last edited by MarcusRTJ; 04-27-2010 at 08:21 PM.
post #21 of 24 Old 04-27-2010, 08:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Why people would replace factory components with lesser quality components is beyond my comprehension. Is your goal to have a better vehicle, or just a better looking vehicle?

EDIT: you guys running this lift should know that you will get a better ride, more flex, and the same amount of lift with no sag by just purchasing a BB kit.

Last edited by desert dog; 04-27-2010 at 08:25 PM.
post #22 of 24 Old 04-27-2010, 08:47 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
Why people would replace factory components with lesser quality components is beyond my comprehension. Is your goal to have a better vehicle, or just a better looking vehicle?

EDIT: you guys running this lift should know that you will get a better ride, more flex, and the same amount of lift with no sag by just purchasing a BB kit.
You have a point with the budget boost portion of this post but I don't agree with the first part.

Is it the best? No, but it did its job and for $300 who gives a shit? The shocks are good enough for me and I'd say they are similar enough to the Rubicon Express Monotubes that I had on my last TJ.

Don't dog RC just because they aren't Jeep specific like Tera-Flex or Rubicon Express or even Rock Krawler and the like. They make decent, budget minded lift kits that are geared toward a different sector than the other guys are going after. I don't think it is fair to compare them.

Sure you're going to get fancier stuff with the other guys but does everyone need more than advertised lift or track bars and all that stuff? The simple answer is no. There are people out-wheeling the most expensively outfitted rigs on the trail with Rubi tires and their sway bars zip tied to the frame.

Buy what you want if you are comfortable with it and post up the result. You can always change it later and in the end you might be out $100 because SOMEONE will always be in the market for a $200 2.5" coil lift with shocks.

Keeping Austin Weird
post #23 of 24 Old 04-27-2010, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post

I can't see how there would be MORE flex with shorter shocks and springs. That makes no sense.

There are only two or three commercial manufacturers of springs. They get painted cool colors and marketed through different companies, but ultimately most of them are made in the same factories. Do you have some info showing these springs are lesser quality than stock?

If it turns out that you are right I can always re-install the stock parts. RC provides a guaranty that allows me to try it out and return if I don't like it so definitely worth a shot.

Marcus your Jeep sure looks level to me!

Last edited by Skyjump136; 04-27-2010 at 08:57 PM.
post #24 of 24 Old 04-28-2010, 12:07 AM
Granite Guru

I'm currently on my 2nd set of 4D Rubicon shocks and coils and the things are bagged to shit (after a stock X set). I nabbed these the other week for a few hundred. I'll report on the ride and such once I find time to pop em in. I figured it would at the minimum be a cheap stop-gap until I can afford a RK 3.5" Triple Threat. They do have good customer support, even for us Canadian customers.

2007 2D 6SPD JK X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode