which skids ya run? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 04-25-2010, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

which skids ya run?

looking at skid plates for my next purchase, but there are so many options. what are you guys and gals running and have you been happy with them? Any recommendations would be helpful... they are all starting to look like the same slab of steel to me. I am basically looking at the rockhard system or the polyperf system with the toned down budget trans skid.

2008 Detonator 2Dr. 6 Sp.
Olympic double tube sliders I Rugged Ridge front XHD I Smittybilt XRC 8 I Ef's pod I Chopped flares I Rock krawler 2.5" stock mod with Bilstein 5100s I 35" Dick Cepek Crushers

Jersey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew

Last edited by jeepersheart; 04-25-2010 at 08:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-25-2010, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I run a Skid Row engine and transmission skid-plate and Shrockworks front crossmember/ disco motor skidplate. The rest are OEM.

If I had my pick- I would be running a complete Poly Performance or River Raider skid-plate system. JMO- Those are as good as they get.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #3 of 18 Old 04-25-2010, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

ya know what I didnt think of river raider but now that ya mention it their shit looks stout.

2008 Detonator 2Dr. 6 Sp.
Olympic double tube sliders I Rugged Ridge front XHD I Smittybilt XRC 8 I Ef's pod I Chopped flares I Rock krawler 2.5" stock mod with Bilstein 5100s I 35" Dick Cepek Crushers

Jersey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 04-25-2010, 09:25 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Liquor

full set of rock hard skids. though im thinking of giong with someone else that would sponsor me. rock hards loss since the cage would get swapped out as well. LoL
nothing wrong with the skids or cage but looking for sponsors that will assist with hemi build later this summer.

•
•
•
•
• Your Jeep and Gaming Social Network
2012 Sponsors:
•
•
•
•
•

Magazine Feature:

post #5 of 18 Old 04-26-2010, 02:48 AM
Rock God

I have Skid Row Engine / Transmission Skid Plate & Evaporative Canister Skid Plate and they work great for me! Plus I made Custom Control Arms Skid Plates also! If mine ever break I would go with the River Raider systems!! He did not have them out when I got mine 3 years ago!

07 JKU, To see my mods & Jeep in Action @

CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
post #6 of 18 Old 04-26-2010, 04:03 AM
Rock God

Rock hard except the evap which is a combined air/evaporated from rock hard

Mike 2010 Rubicon 2DR | RK 3.5 X FACTOR MID ARM | ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
post #7 of 18 Old 04-26-2010, 07:01 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I can't believe how low that sits!I have a poison spyder one on my evap, I like it, tucks up there nice.

I need a gas tank skid, all else is working as it should

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #8 of 18 Old 04-26-2010, 08:47 AM
Rock God

Rock Hard full set for me + Skid Row control arm + Shrock e-disco stu.
Before the lift the rock hards took a lot of punishment and held up great.

2009 JK Rubicon Unlimited. Rock Hard skids, Skidrow Control Arm Skids, Shrockworks bumpers. Pro Comp 2" Puck Lift.
post #9 of 18 Old 04-26-2010, 09:12 AM
Rock God

RR full set here, with an AEV diff slider. They are tough and priced right for me.

I like the poly set, but its $$$$$.

LJ Rubicon
post #10 of 18 Old 04-26-2010, 01:39 PM
Rock God

I'm running a skid row engine/trans skid, skid row lca mount skids, and poison spyder evap skid. Would highly recommend all 3 of them. Will be adding a river raider gas tank skid to the mix shortly...

2008 X 2-door, 35" Duratacs, Clayton Long-arm, geared and locked

2012 Rubi 2-door, 37" Nittos, Method Beadlocks, JKS Suspension, JCR everything
post #11 of 18 Old 04-26-2010, 05:44 PM
Rock God

Remember, you can move the evap canister, which is usually cheaper and comes with other benefits as well.

BEER Helping me do stupid things to my JK since 2007!
post #12 of 18 Old 04-26-2010, 06:08 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquor View Post
I can see you had a problem with the small bolts and the bar with the channel holes intended to tie together the gas and xfer case skid too. Lame design....

Mike 2010 Rubicon 2DR | RK 3.5 X FACTOR MID ARM | ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
post #13 of 18 Old 04-27-2010, 11:59 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Liquor

yeah it can be a bitch to reinstall. lol

BTW found this. you may want to get some skids. you never know when you will come down on a rock.

•
•
•
•
• Your Jeep and Gaming Social Network
2012 Sponsors:
•
•
•
•
•

Magazine Feature:

post #14 of 18 Old 04-27-2010, 12:36 PM
Granite Guru

Rock Hard engine/tranny skid for me. Evolution Offroad front and rear control arm skids. The rest are stock.
post #15 of 18 Old 04-27-2010, 01:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Edwina on JKF says that you are stupid for wanting skids.

The god of JK says that the factory skids are all you will ever need, until a future vendor gives him a free set of skids; then you will need to buy those ones.

So we should be perfectly content to not buy skids, until Eddie gets a free one.
post #16 of 18 Old 04-27-2010, 05:01 PM
Wheeler

Thats good, love Eddie's advice and then I noticed in one of his photos of Moab that he his running Solid diff. covers. Skids are worth it, had my jeep out for only the second time since I bought in in the fall, came down hard on the cross member under the transfer case, needless to say the shape is not the same. I have a full set of River Raider skids that I wish I had on before this last weekend.
post #17 of 18 Old 04-27-2010, 05:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Benchmark Evap Skid on both my JK's. Knocked that l'il dangler off my second time wheeling my rig. Didn't damage it, but didn't want to chance it again on either of my rig's.

I'm running the Rockhard skid on my 4dr. Still trying to determine what I want to run on my wife's JK. Not sure if all the companies do the tapered washers like Rockhard does though. A nice touch IMO.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
post #18 of 18 Old 04-27-2010, 05:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seer View Post
Remember, you can move the evap canister, which is usually cheaper and comes with other benefits as well.
I don't know if I necessarily agree with all of your statement. The relocation kit might be a little bit cheaper compared to some skids, but when weighed that against the time to install it (5-15min skid vs 1-3hrs for relocate) I think the skid comes out ahead. As for other benefits, relocating has the slight advantage of extra clearance where the the cannister once resided.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode