Locking Storage for 2011+ (2-Doors) - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 08-04-2015, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Locking Storage for 2011+ (2-Doors)

In both of my previous builds (both 4-doors) I was able to use the Tuffy or Bestop underseat locking storage box. It was strong, secure, and I could leave a wallet, gun, magazine, and other valuables in it, while the top was off, or while camping, etc.

Now I have a 2012 JKR 2-door, and due to the new design in the fold-forward seats in front, there is no space underneath the seats.

I know there is a little dinky secure storage for the center console, but outside of that, what else have you two-door owners done to create some secure storage in your rigs, without converting a rolling expedition vehicle?

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-04-2015, 07:29 AM

Tuffy has come out with a new center console insert. Its nice but pricey.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/14125_1300_07.htm. I was disappointed when the one from my 2007 wouldn't fit my 2015. I did reuse the Tuffy Cubby cover.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-04-2015, 07:37 AM
Granite Guru

I just dont keep anything of value in mine. After having a previous vehicle broken into, i leave the glove box and console unlocked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-04-2015, 07:59 AM
Rock God

Garage

Is it possible to modify one of the underseat boxes, and just put it on the driver's side and never fold the seat forward? I very rarely fold my driver's seat forward to access the back. Almost always on the passenger side.

And as ledzep said, I almost never keep anything valuable in the jeep now. My shitty ipod nano is wired in behind the dash, but you'd have to know it's there to steal it. If i do have to leave valuables in the jeep, it's in the back "trunk" space. Even with the crappy cardboard-esque flap, no one knows that compartment is there and when the tailgate is closed, it'd be pretty hard to get into.

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.

Last edited by pizzaman; 08-04-2015 at 08:02 AM.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-04-2015, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Unfortunately, no, there is no room underneath the seats, due to the new brackets. I would need to replace the seats, and brackets, to be able to do anything. Plus, I believe the bolt pattern for the 2011 and up models has changed.

Blech!

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
post #6 of 11 Old 08-04-2015, 08:30 AM
Random Dude

I have a 2010 2 door, and am running Tuffy console insert, glove box, 2 gun drawers, and the rear security deck enclosure.
If you get multiple Tuffy locking enclosures (not pushing the brand, but it's what I have), suggest keying 'em all alike.

The Tuffy glove box replacement is large-ish and reasonably tweeker-resistant (not tweeker-proof).

If you don't need a rear seat , the Tuffy rear security deck is pretty spacious.

If you need a rear seat, it may be time to custom fab a lock box to fill a space you don't otherwise need.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #7 of 11 Old 08-04-2015, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
If you don't need a rear seat , the Tuffy rear security deck is pretty spacious.

Let me ask you a question about that rear security decků. Can you pack a lot on top of it? How much weight do you think it will hold in terms of camping gear, coolers, etc.?

That might be an option.

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
post #8 of 11 Old 08-04-2015, 12:52 PM
Wheeler

Depending on what you want to store and size of the box i used one of those beside safes for a while... bolted it down and had key with my jeep keys
post #9 of 11 Old 08-04-2015, 01:10 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzcode View Post
Let me ask you a question about that rear security decků. Can you pack a lot on top of it? How much weight do you think it will hold in terms of camping gear, coolers, etc.?

That might be an option.

RC
I don't know what it's rated for weight-wise, but I can drag my (unfortunately) 250+ lb ass up on it with no worries.
I try to only put light stuff up top, but if you tie it down (need to add tie down provisions) it will stay put.

My preference is to have any heavy stuff enclosed in case I get silly enough to flop or roll (I hope not ).
Just remember that you may have to unload the lid to open it if you need to dig for something at the back of the cave underneath.

I ended up stretching the front wall a bit so my ammo cans could stay in place while I dig for crap in the little well in the floor.

If you're planning to be near Pleasant Hill any weekend, feel free to PM me and stop by to check it out for yourself.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #10 of 11 Old 08-04-2015, 01:21 PM
Probably Stuck on my Diff

I got a '15 2 door, and had my tuffy underseat lock box from my prior 2011 4 door build. I was considering replacing the fold-forward seat mount with an older model year so I can use it.. not sure if thats possible or not.

More Cowbell
post #11 of 11 Old 08-04-2015, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
I don't know what it's rated for weight-wise, but I can drag my (unfortunately) 250+ lb ass up on it with no worries.

I try to only put light stuff up top, but if you tie it down (need to add tie down provisions) it will stay put.

My preference is to have any heavy stuff enclosed in case I get silly enough to flop or roll (I hope not ).

Just remember that you may have to unload the lid to open it if you need to dig for something at the back of the cave underneath.

I ended up stretching the front wall a bit so my ammo cans could stay in place while I dig for crap in the little well in the floor.

If you're planning to be near Pleasant Hill any weekend, feel free to PM me and stop by to check it out for yourself.

Nice setup! I'm impressed. Yes, my territory for work includes that PH, so I'll connect with you when I'm in the area if you're around. Thanks!

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode