What can a Stock 4dr Rubi do at Ouray? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-24-2010, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

What can a Stock 4dr Rubi do at Ouray?

So my wife and I were talking about what to do with our week off in July and she says, "Why don't we take the jeep to Ouray?" I fell in love all over again.

I just got my 4 dr Rubi in February. All I've done is buy half doors, a hi-lift jack, and new windshield wipers. What can I do and not do at Ouray and the surrounding area? I'm a novice to off-roading, and I'm not looking for any serious rock crawling. We'll have our two boys, ages 5 and 8. We love to camp, so hopefully we can do some of that out on the trails.

Do I need to do anything to my stock Rubi, or will it be fine on the lighter trails?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-24-2010, 07:25 PM
Granite Guru

You should be fine if you don't want to any serious rock crawling. Lots of great scenery. Beautiful country! Just go enjoy.

Here's an Ouray Jeeping guide: http://www.ouraycolorado.com/pdfs/Jeeping.pdf Stick to the easy/moderate trails and you'll have NO problem. A 4/5 wouldn't be out of the question if you were a more experienced driver.

Last edited by Skyjump136; 04-24-2010 at 07:28 PM.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-24-2010, 07:32 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Where is Ouray, and what does it have to offer? Stock Rubi's are very capable, with some driving skills you can do alot more than you'd think.
Oops, didn't catch the link above.

Never Underestimate The Power Of STUPID People In Large Numbers

post #4 of 11 Old 04-24-2010, 07:52 PM
Granite Guru

To be honest, Ouray is mostly great scenery and ledge roads. There are a few difficult trails, but mostly it is the scenery people go for. A Rubi should have no problems.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-24-2010, 09:40 PM
JKowners Vendor

There is no trail in the San Juans that an experienced driver in a stock Rubi couldn't do. That said, we usually recommend that novice to intermediate drivers avoid: Poughkeepsie Gulch, due to a higher chance of damaging the Jeep; Black Bear Pass, due to the extremely intimidating shelf road with excrutiating switchbacks where a mistake can be deadly.

Stop by the Riverside Inn (aka Farabee Jeep Rentals) on the north end of town--they can give you info on trails and conditions.

Nena Barlow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #6 of 11 Old 04-25-2010, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the input guys. I can't wait!
post #7 of 11 Old 04-25-2010, 07:59 AM
Rock God

The first off road trail I ever wheeled was Black Bear in my Sahara Unlimited. Definitely doable as a novice in a stock JK. Poughkeepsie is the one to avoid if you don't have much time in off road. Although if you have some experienced folk to trail with, I think I'd try it. It's the prettiest trail around. And that's saying a lot. The whole area is so worth the visit.

BEER Helping me do stupid things to my JK since 2007!
post #8 of 11 Old 04-25-2010, 10:50 AM
Wheeler

Stock Rubi in Ouray

I've wheeled in Ouray in my TJ Wrangler, and my JK Rubicon. No problems with either vehicle. We went with a sponsored Jeep group through Imogene Pass. The leader of the group said this trail was rated a "4". I told him in AZ this trail would probably be rated a 2.5-3. I think they sometimes exaggerate the difficulty of the trail to lend a little more excitement to it for the tourists.
I wheel in Arizona where trails are rated 2-4.5. Sometimes trails are rated a
"5", and you are told upfront you will do damage to your vehicle. I stay with 3-3.5 trails, ocassionally I'll do a "4" trail and usually take a few hits underneath.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-25-2010, 12:59 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigapplephx View Post
I've wheeled in Ouray in my TJ Wrangler, and my JK Rubicon. No problems with either vehicle. We went with a sponsored Jeep group through Imogene Pass. The leader of the group said this trail was rated a "4".
For that area maybe it is a 4. But when considering the entire state of Colorado it is more of a 4/10!
post #10 of 11 Old 04-25-2010, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

These are 2 of my favorite videos from Black Bear. Y'all really need to do this road imo. The scenery and views of Telluride is so breathtaking. The first video isn't much but there is something hilarious about the commentary.

YouTube - Black Bear Pass, Colorado

YouTube - Black Bear Pass Final Descent

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #11 of 11 Old 04-25-2010, 10:35 PM
JKowners Vendor

Great videos!

It's hard to pick just one or two favorite trails, BUT, Imogene (moderate), Last Dollar (easy), and Corkscrew (easy-moderate) are awfully tough to beat.

Nena Barlow

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode