Got my New Rubi - Let's talk Armor - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 04-24-2010, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Question Got my New Rubi - Let's talk Armor

Okay, picked up my new Rubi Unlimited a couple days ago. The weather finally let up and I was able to get under it and take a look. Couple questions...

1) The "rock rails" almost look like throw aways to me. Am I wrong in this assumption and if so can I wheel with them until they are trashed or should I replace right away?

2) The oil pan looks overly exposed to me. Is this a common weak point and is there an aftermarket skid I need to be looking at?

3) Diff protection. Those Danas sure look nice under there. What are people using for diff protection? Or are you going without?

4) Finally (and this is completely off subject) where are you guys mounting a fire extinguisher. Is there an aftermarket mount that is popular?

Any other weak spots that I need to be addressing?
Thanks in advance guys. So far I'm really digging this Jeep, but I want to make sure I'm properly protected before hitting the trails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-24-2010, 02:32 PM
Granite Guru

1-There is multiple choices read a little around before making your decision.

2-Check River Raider in the new product section, they have the best set of skid I have seen so far, the quality is top notch and the price is definitely right for the protection they provide.

3-Same check around there is several brand lots of great quality product, I would definitely put sleeve and c gusset on the differential to.

4-Welcome on the best jk forum on internet,and congrats for your new Jeep!

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27731

Last edited by virtual_mage; 04-24-2010 at 02:43 PM.
post #3 of 14 Old 04-24-2010, 03:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Believe it or not, the Rubi rails hold up very well. They don't give you much side protection, but I've beat the snot out of mine and even use a high lift on the. Of course, there are better options, but they'll hold up just fine.

Lots of places for a fire extinguisher. I got a cheap extinguisher from Home Depot that came with a mount. You can mount it between the drivers seat and the door. There are already holes in the seat rail that you can use. Others people mount them to the roll bars. It's whatever you like. Just remember, you have it for a reason. Make it easy to get to.

The oil pan is vulnerable, but a lift will help it get it up off the ground a little. You can still whack it, as mine has taken a few hits. There are a bunch of skids available. It just hasn't made it to the top of my list yet. Just keep the rocks under the tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 04-24-2010, 04:03 PM
Granite Guru

relocate or skid the evap cannister. Woods (dominion offroad) makes a great relocation kit.
post #5 of 14 Old 04-24-2010, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for the good info guys! I just spent an hour on the River Raider site. That's probably a ways down the road for me. Glad to hear the rock rails hold up. I think I'll beat the crap out of the stockers and see how they hold up.

What's this evap canister I keep reading about???

Also, what do you guys think of this in terms of a front bumber: http://www.quadratec.com/showcases/r..._bumper/jk.php

I'm looking for simplicity with the option of adding on later. The price is right for sure. Any experiences or thoughts? $369 for a winch bumper almost seems too good to be true.
post #6 of 14 Old 04-24-2010, 04:52 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

The stock rails hold up pretty well, but you'll find yourself wanting more side protection plus looks. A set of PSC sliders is a nice addition. Haven't had any problem with hitting the oil pan yet. I have Rugged Ridge Diff Protect on mine, and they work well. I like the looks of the XRC front bumper myself. JMO

Anyway, make sure you check out all the options before purchasing. There are a lot of options, and you don't want to be kickin yourself in the ass and sayin' " Damn, I shoulda got the other one. " Good luck in your decision making.
Attached Images

Never Underestimate The Power Of STUPID People In Large Numbers
post #7 of 14 Old 04-24-2010, 05:17 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyjump136 View Post
Okay, picked up my new Rubi Unlimited a couple days ago. The weather finally let up and I was able to get under it and take a look. Couple questions...

1) The "rock rails" almost look like throw aways to me. Am I wrong in this assumption and if so can I wheel with them until they are trashed or should I replace right away?

2) The oil pan looks overly exposed to me. Is this a common weak point and is there an aftermarket skid I need to be looking at?

3) Diff protection. Those Danas sure look nice under there. What are people using for diff protection? Or are you going without?

Any other weak spots that I need to be addressing?
Thanks in advance guys. So far I'm really digging this Jeep, but I want to make sure I'm properly protected before hitting the trails.
I replaced all the factor skid plates except the gas tank (will later). I installed the Rock Hard skid plate under the transfer case, the Skid Row plate to protect the oil pan. Not sure of the make of skid I installed to protect the evap tank. This is the plastic square shaped thing towards the rear with hoses coming out of it. You definitely want to protect that. My skid plate has taken several good hits. I also installed the front lower control arm skid plates. Forget the make of them at the moment. I have not protected the diffs. They are pretty tough.

It takes time, have fun!!
post #8 of 14 Old 04-24-2010, 06:12 PM
JKO Addict!

All good suggestions. On my '09 Rubi UL I have a poly skid set, the stock rock rails and Kilby rear shock & muffler skid. The last one is something of a question mark, as it's pretty heavy and probably money that could have been better spent on a tank skid instead. I'll probably do Tera's rails, as they're aluminum and will cut some weight, which is becoming a concern.

Bear in mind that every piece of iron you bolt on, regardless how beneficial in terms of strength, increases weight & reduces performance. The stock Rubi skid set looked like a joke to me but you'll see them on some pretty well battered rigs and have done the job. I'd guess the Poly skid set I put on weighs 150 lbs and makes getting to the driveshafts, linkages, etc. a total PITA.
post #9 of 14 Old 04-24-2010, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Does anybody add protection for the muffler? That also seems to be hanging out there.

I'm seeing a ton of "Rugged Ridge" stuff. Is this decent middle of the road type gear or junk?
post #10 of 14 Old 04-24-2010, 09:57 PM
JKowners Vendor

1. They hold up to some pretty solid abuse. In renting these critters, I have only had one destroyed, along with most of the rest of the side of the Jeep. My advice would be to, initially, spend your money elsewhere--especially on a good front bumper protecting your power sway bar unit.

2. I have lost a couple of these, so some extra protection might be a good thing, particularly if you drive it like the Italian soccer team bachelor party we had.

3. Nothing extra on the diff, but expect an occasional leak with a particularly hard bashing. What you should consider adding to the axle housings are C-gussets and DEFINITELY lower control arm skids. I buy PolyPerformance. I also installed inner axle sleeves on my older 4-door Rubis (08-09). If you want hours of entertainment, see https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...er+tires+axles, and see my post https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20550

4. Rear roll bar on left side. I like the velcro ones so that I can change my mind.

I have a few dented mufflers, but they are bolt on, so who cares? Smash it, buy a take off from someone who installed their Borla.

Rugged Ridge: It's definitely not the toughest stuff out there, but their products work great for the milder user.

Happy trails!

Nena Barlow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #11 of 14 Old 04-25-2010, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I got the same impression about Rugged Ridge. I do wheel hard, but I figure buying their products allows me to do everything from a bumper to control arm skids and a few things in between for less than a $1000. Sure, it will get trashed, and I'll buy better stuff when it does, but at least I won't be going out there naked to begin with.

Coming from a KJ I am just amazed at the choices available. Looks like there are decent rock rails for around $500! Winch bumpers - same thing. With the KJ there were only two or three decent fabricators and they ruled the market. $1000 for (name any product) and you'd have your choice of TWO different options. This is great!
post #12 of 14 Old 04-25-2010, 07:15 AM
Granite Guru

TnT Customs (Treks) makes an awesome set of skids, looks quite similar to River Raider's (Kenny). The sliders integrate right into the belly-pan so the bottom is basically a boat. Kenny's are cheaper though, and he came out with them 4 days after my Trek's set showed up.....

River Raider JK Stuff

TnT Customs

2007 2D 6SPD JK X
post #13 of 14 Old 04-25-2010, 07:23 AM
Rock God

Garage

Welcome to the sickness! JK ownership is great! These vehicles go far and hard offroad but keep you comfortable doing it! I've got an Unlimited Rubi too and take it out wheeling every chance I get (which isn't nearly enough)!

Anyways, your rails will hold up just fine; I've dropped mine right on top of rocks and they just get little scratches and gouges on 'em. Skids are definitely a plus if you do anything hardcore. I have the River Raider set and they're made very very well! Make sure you relocate or skid the evap canister like the other guys said. I haven't done that yet and know I'm wheelin' on borrowed time! I've got Riddler diff covers but haven't installed them yet; they're made very well and have great reviews. There's tons of great info on this site. Glad to have you with us!

Hotrodtinker JERSEY
CREW
'08 Unlimited Rubicon (Rescue Green)
Lifted and running (for the moment)...
Planned Mods:
- Engine swap and 1-ton axles!!!
post #14 of 14 Old 04-25-2010, 07:25 AM
Rock God

Garage

If you are going to see many rock trails you should absolutly replace the diff covers. I got some SOLID covers and they work great and not too $$$. Check out the vendors here or on pirate. enjoy that new rubicon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode