Cross Country Road Trip Question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-24-2010, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Question Cross Country Road Trip Question URGENT

I'm driving my '08 JK from Fresno, CA to Boston, MA this summer with some friends. I go to school in Boston, and decided I want to bring my car over here and get a fun trip out of the process.

A few months ago I put on a 4-inch suspension lift and some new 35" MTR's, but didn't regear or buy a tuner. I have a 2-door automatic, with an otherwise unmodified powertrain.

So I have a few options for my road trip, and I'm wondering which one will be the cheapest overall way to go. I'm trying to minimize the total cost of any of these options plus the cost of gas for the whole trip.

1. Regear
- regearing is expensive, but obviously has the best results on gas mileage

2. Tuner
- I've heard running one of those programmers can help a little bit, but those are also around $300

3. UHAUL
- I can put my stock wheels/tires back on and throw my new 35's in a trailer. Kind of expensive because I have to install a hitch, and hurts gas mileage from towing a trailer and extra set of tires. On the plus side, I get my old mileage back as far as the Jeep alone, just have to deal with the trailer.

if you have any idea which will be the most cost effective solution, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me out here. I really want to make this trip, but I have to be able to afford it as well.. I need to get this figured out SOON so I can start getting things ready.

HELP THIS BEAUTIFUL JEEP CROSS THE STATES!!!

P.S. - Moab is a stop on my planned route, so you'll be helping a fresh young jeeper make his first trip to wrangler mecca

'08 X 2-Door, 4" Pro Comp suspension lift, 35" MTR Kevlars, Warrior tube doors, MBRP exhaust kit

Last edited by XC4D4MD; 04-24-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-24-2010, 03:45 AM
Wheeler

I'm not going to claim to be an expert in these matters, and I'm sure some more qualified people will comment on this post, but here goes nothing...take it for what it's worth.

My philosophy with My Jeep (pretty much a twin of yours) is that if you know the right way to do it, and you have the means (funds and parts are available) then do it the right way. Regearing is more expensive but in the long run you'll be happier with the result I think.

I would not tow them behind you. It will eat more gas yes...it will cost money to get the trailor, and a hitch. If this is the only conclussion you can come to...then I would personally sell the tires in CA, save the money you would from regearing or the towing stuff, and get a new set when you get to MA. Not the most logical plan but easiest...and then you wouldn't have them to play with in Moab...

And finally....contrary to modern society...i try not to depend on computers to help my Jeep ever. I work on planes in the navy and pretty much everyday a computer has messed somthing up.

As I said...I'm no expert, and these are just my opinion and suggestions. Good luck man.

Danny

2008 Wrangler X
-3.5" Rubicon Express Lift
-Rancho RS9000XL Shocks
-Rancho High-clearance Steering Stab
-Rugged Ridge Mirror Relocation Brackets
post #3 of 11 Old 04-24-2010, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

shamelessly bumping myself because I really need the help...

'08 X 2-Door, 4" Pro Comp suspension lift, 35" MTR Kevlars, Warrior tube doors, MBRP exhaust kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-24-2010, 03:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Why do you need to do any of those?
What gears do you have now?

Just hit the overdrive button to turn it off on the steep grades and go to town.

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #5 of 11 Old 04-24-2010, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Keep in mind that if you re-gear it (the car ), then it will need a break-in period of about 500 miles. Then the covers should be pulled, the ring & pinion inspected for signs of uneven wear, etc. Then filled again with fresh diff fluid.

The gears, labor, fluid f & r (x2).....are gonna cost some $$$. Maybe pick another option if you are going to try to keep things on the cheap. jmo.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #6 of 11 Old 04-24-2010, 03:37 PM
JKO Addict!

A programmer is good because it would set your auto trans to shift properly with the larger tires. A ProCal is the best option for this, but it won't give different power options.

Gears are ultimately the correct option to make.

If it were me, I'd buy a programer because you can pick up a procal for around $100 and from what I understand setting the tire size helps a bunch with the auto (I have a manual). Then when money allows, even if it's after the trip, get gears.

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
post #7 of 11 Old 04-24-2010, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

So a trailer is most likely out of the question, just checked the prices and a rental would run me over $600 plus another $100 to get a hitch for my jeep.

How much does it cost to regear, said and done?

I didn't know a procal was only $100, is that because of not have the power options?

post #8 of 11 Old 04-24-2010, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

All shops are different prices, but I would guess in CA.... over a grand for the gears plus install- dunno.

Again- my concern would be that if something goes wrong during/ after the install, that it could mess up your deadline to leave on your trip (if they are not set-up correctly, shimmed correctly, broken in correctly, etc). You really need to put some slow (around town) driving on the gears for about 500 miles or so to get them broken in, and you need to check them after that time. Doing a gear swap- then hitting the road is just asking for problems.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #9 of 11 Old 04-24-2010, 04:31 PM
JKO Addict!

The procal doesn't have as many options as the "tuners" which is reflected in the cost.

I just saw a company post on here Siera gears for like 150 a set. In a new jeep, you're wasting money spending the 150 on an install kit. Any decent shop can do the install and will only charge you for the shims needed.

Also, it's generally cheaper for a shop to install gears in an axle that's not still in the jeep, so if you have the ability to rip the axles out and take them to a shop, you could likely save some coin as well.

Here in Michigan, my gear guy has done gears for various jeeps for 175 each not in the jeep. So, 300 for gears and another 350 for install. Add another 100 for various fluids and such and you'll be fine.

I've also been told, and have treated my gears this way, that an oil change isn't bad after a couple hundred miles and there is a break in period, but to just drive it normal. Basically no high shock loads or heavy towing. Other than that, run it.

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
post #10 of 11 Old 04-24-2010, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

@ Stub: I have 2 weeks between getting home and hitting the open road for Boston, would that be enough time to break in the gears and get them re-checked?

I think my plan now is to go ahead and buy a procal as soon as I get home, then test it out on the highway to see what kind of mileage I'm getting. If its still a problem I'll see about taking the plunge on gears.

Thanks for all the help guys

post #11 of 11 Old 04-24-2010, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

That's enough time, but you really need to put some break-in miles on it.

Oz97tj suggested a couple hundred. I suggest more than a couple hundred- jmo. 400-500 miles is better to break them in, and the mesh, break-in fluid, etc....really should be checked after this break in. You may think all is well after the install- but the wise thing to do (especially before taking the JK on a long cross country trip) is to check the wear pattern and for signs of metal flakes in the fluid and fluid discoloration.

Drive it normally as suggested? Not really. You need to do a good deal of stop and go driving, and cycle through your gears gradually. As suggested- yes....No heavy loads (cargo, towing, etc) and no open hwy driving for extended periods. A new gear-set needs a cooling off period between driving....again- gradually at first. This gives the new ring & pinion time to seat and get broken in.

*They might be fine without all of this- certainly. I have seen guys change to new gears and start wheeling it after less than a couple hundred miles- but this is not wise, and the more care that you can take in breaking them in....the better. Absolutely better safe than sorry when getting ready to take a long haul with new gears.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode