Daily Driving and starting out in 2nd gear - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-23-2010, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Question Daily Driving and starting out in 2nd gear

Hey Folks. I just got a 2010 Rubicon 6sp. Do any of you start out in 2nd gear and not bother with 1st gear when daily driving?

Seems like 1st gear doesn't do much unless you get on the gas. I started off a few times in 2nd gear and it didn't seem like a big deal.

Do you do it?
Do you recommend it?
Can I hurt the Jeep or transmission by doing this?

Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Duker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-23-2010, 06:40 PM
Granite Guru

I don't... Not sure of it'd hurt or not... I start in 1st, then go to 2nd, 4th, and 6th.. skipping 3rd and 5th..

post #3 of 11 Old 04-23-2010, 06:55 PM
Rock God

Garage

I start in 2nd alot but not all the time. sometimes 1st to 3rd. It's probably harder on the clutch and throwout bearing I think.

got Jeep got stuff, never enough of the right stuff tho

Am I in deep enough yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-23-2010, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I do the 4th to 6th. Never tried the 2nd to 4th though. I'll have to try that. Thanks for the tip Buddy!
post #5 of 11 Old 04-23-2010, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by duker51 View Post
Hey Folks. I just got a 2010 Rubicon 6sp. Do any of you start out in 2nd gear and not bother with 1st gear when daily driving?

Seems like 1st gear doesn't do much unless you get on the gas. I started off a few times in 2nd gear and it didn't seem like a big deal.

Do you do it?
Do you recommend it?
Can I hurt the Jeep or transmission by doing this?

Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Duker
You arent gonna hurt anything unless you are overtly slipping the clutch.

°lllll°

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook Page
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube Channel
post #6 of 11 Old 04-23-2010, 07:28 PM
JKO Addict!

I personally don't skip-shift. I run through them all and shift 1500-1700rpm if i can. I do a lot of rowing, but it's easy on everything.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-23-2010, 08:19 PM
Granite Guru

I hardly ever use first and I skip fifth alot

post #8 of 11 Old 04-23-2010, 08:23 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I do 1st to 3rds alot. But with 35's and 3.21's my clutch wouldn't like me anymore if i tried taking off in 2nd...lol

'08 Red Rock X, 2 dr., 6 speed. Teraflex 2.5BB 4dr. Rubi Springs, Bilstien 5100 Shocks and Steering Stabilizer, Rubi Rock Rails, 15" Street Locks, BFG AT tires 35x12.50, Hella Black Magic Off Road Lights Windshield Mounts, Skid Row Front Skid Plate, Rockhard evap skid, Custom Stock Stubbied Front Bumper w/ Handicap bathroom grab rail and Home Brew D-ring mounts with 10,000lb D-ring shackles..Banks CAI, MBRP Stainless Catback
post #9 of 11 Old 04-23-2010, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

It doesn't hurt anything to start in 2nd- like HIT said though, don't wind it out (slip). I start in 2nd all the time b/c I regeared to 4:88's and b/c 1st is now a little high when I'm rollin' thru stop signs. <---j/k....I always come to a complete stop.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #10 of 11 Old 04-24-2010, 05:34 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

i start off in 2nd if its downhill or if the light turns green before i completely stop.

Chris
-----------------------
'09 Rubicon 2dr, Silver
post #11 of 11 Old 04-24-2010, 05:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I imagine I'll never see 1st gear except when offroad once I put the 5.13's in with my 35's. Maybe when I move up to 38's, I'll have a reason to use it again.

As far as 4th to 6th, it seems hard for me to find the slot for 6th when I come from 4th. I've tried it a couple of times and actually ground Reverse. Figured I'd better stop trying that in case I actually get it to slip into Reverse while traveling forward one day. That can't be good.

BTW, if I ever do screw it up that bad, has anyone seen an NV4500 in a JK yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode