Matte white paint - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 04-23-2010, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dallas,Texas
Age: 31
Posts: 828
Feedback: 0 reviews
Matte white paint

I've been thinking about doing a matte color for a while and im pretty sure Im going to go with matte white. I think matte black is cool but... it gets hot as hell here in texas and all of my past cars have been black. So I want to do something new. Im thinking about doing matte white body and then matte black grille mod, hard top, fenders, wheels, bumpers, hinges,etc. Now this jeep will get used and wont be a mall crawler model so I don't mind if I get some scratches. I'm sure a matte white jeep will get plenty of war wounds Okay guys lets hear your opinions on this.
wranglerblackout08 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 32 Old 04-23-2010, 03:14 PM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 20
Feedback: 0 reviews

I think it would be sweet, do it and post pics.
cartilage is offline  
post #3 of 32 Old 04-23-2010, 03:18 PM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Venice, Fl
Age: 33
Posts: 478
Feedback: 0 reviews

I'm thinking dirt magnet, do it and post pics!!
DanNEBTD is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 32 Old 04-23-2010, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dallas,Texas
Age: 31
Posts: 828
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNEBTD View Post
I'm thinking dirt magnet, do it and post pics!!
Its a jeep, its supposed to be dirty

Still just an idea for right now. Need to find a good body shop here in Dallas before I pull the trigger. Also I need to do some more research on matte paint and how to take care of it. I think there is some new matte clearcoat stuff available too.
wranglerblackout08 is offline  
post #5 of 32 Old 04-23-2010, 03:40 PM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Jackson, MS USA
Posts: 1,793
Feedback: 0 reviews

matte clear coat should do it
paragon is offline  
post #6 of 32 Old 04-23-2010, 04:49 PM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Glendora, CA
Posts: 899
Feedback: 1 reviews

if its plain matte white, to me looks like a white jeep that oxidized real bad.
but....if its pearl matte white then it would look nicer.

Like paragon said...you use a matte clear coat.

09' White JKU Rubicon with some stuff
Chris85xlt is offline  
post #7 of 32 Old 04-23-2010, 05:08 PM
JKO Addict!
 
tkob1060's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NJ :)
Age: 51
Posts: 7,281
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

check this out http://www.tcpglobal.com/kustomshop/ksflatz.aspx


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
tkob1060 is offline  
post #8 of 32 Old 04-23-2010, 06:11 PM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Jackson, MS USA
Posts: 1,793
Feedback: 0 reviews
paragon is offline  
post #9 of 32 Old 04-23-2010, 06:41 PM
JKO Addict!
 
.:eMETAL:.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Midcoast Maine
Age: 36
Posts: 5,420
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to .:eMETAL:. Send a message via Yahoo to .:eMETAL:.

i love the idea!


Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.:eMETAL:. is offline  
post #10 of 32 Old 04-23-2010, 08:06 PM
JKO Addict!
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,866
Garage
Feedback: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragon View Post
wow thats the first matte white paint job ive seen, and i like it its pretty sweet
BBirish is offline  
post #11 of 32 Old 04-23-2010, 08:16 PM
JKO Addict!
 
Moose512's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Age: 45
Posts: 2,343
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:eMETAL:. View Post
i love the idea!

Can't believe I am seeing this thread!! Why? Because yesterday I saw a matte white Lambo Murcielago (factory paint) with the wheels and trim done in gloss black and it looked AMAZING! Since my Jeep is stone white with black trim I had the idea to do the same with my JK. I have never seen it done on a Jeep or really any other vehicle until yesterday!

Now the bad news....how did I see the Lambo? The car has 12 miles on it and when the window tint guy was tinting the driver door window in the up position he put a dent in the roof panel (oops!). Dent was able to be fixed by PDR (no body filler) but the entire roof panel did still need to be painted. Any regular paint job would have only needed 2 minutes with a buffer and it would be good as new.

What's my point....a matte paint job has absolutely zero forgiveness and ANY imperfections will require a repaint. This has me hesitant and I have a full paint dept and two paint booths at my disposal. I like my Jeep looking good and I really don't feel like having to paint it every 90 days. Still thinking about it? Maybe save the look for a sports car.

We have done two matte black paint jobs so far this year and they look great to this day but they don't offroad their vehicles!

Would love to see yours if you decide to do it!! You will certainly get looks!!
Moose512 is offline  
post #12 of 32 Old 04-23-2010, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dallas,Texas
Age: 31
Posts: 828
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose512 View Post
Can't believe I am seeing this thread!! Why? Because yesterday I saw a matte white Lambo Murcielago (factory paint) with the wheels and trim done in gloss black and it looked AMAZING! Since my Jeep is stone white with black trim I had the idea to do the same with my JK. I have never seen it done on a Jeep or really any other vehicle until yesterday!

Now the bad news....how did I see the Lambo? The car has 12 miles on it and when the window tint guy was tinting the driver door window in the up position he put a dent in the roof panel (oops!). Dent was able to be fixed by PDR (no body filler) but the entire roof panel did still need to be painted. Any regular paint job would have only needed 2 minutes with a buffer and it would be good as new.

What's my point....a matte paint job has absolutely zero forgiveness and ANY imperfections will require a repaint. This has me hesitant and I have a full paint dept and two paint booths at my disposal. I like my Jeep looking good and I really don't feel like having to paint it every 90 days. Still thinking about it? Maybe save the look for a sports car.

We have done two matte black paint jobs so far this year and they look great to this day but they don't offroad their vehicles!

Would love to see yours if you decide to do it!! You will certainly get looks!!
Ironic!

I have seen some matte orange lamborghini gallardo superleggeras around here. Pretty cool looking... but only on that kind of car. Another color I thought about was matte blue. I saw it on a lamborghini gallardo and damn it looked good. But I think its another one of those colors that only looks good on a sports car.

I dont think I would have any problems... As long as its done right the first time. Thats why I need to look for a good job that has a history of doing matte paint jobs. If it get a scratch then i'll deal with it.. Im not going to live in fear over getting a scratch or scuff.

Mel from off road evolution had matte red and now has matte black and his paint seems to have held up pretty well. Now obviously white is going to show a lot more dirt but im not worried about it.

Im 90% sure that I will do it. Of course I will post pictures. I want to try and find a shop that will take pictures of the whole process so everyone can see the process of a matte paint job.

Last edited by wranglerblackout08; 04-23-2010 at 08:30 PM.
wranglerblackout08 is offline  
post #13 of 32 Old 04-23-2010, 08:33 PM
Granite Guru
 
gcologne25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CO
Posts: 431
Feedback: 0 reviews

DUDE DO IT! I am looking into doing a matte silver this summer
gcologne25 is offline  
post #14 of 32 Old 04-23-2010, 10:26 PM
JKO Addict!
 
oz97tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,738
Feedback: 4 reviews

Ok, maybe I'm naive but I don't get why matte would show scratches more than gloss. To me, it seems it would blend in more. With gloss, everything is shiny except for the scratch. Am I missing something?

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
oz97tj is offline  
post #15 of 32 Old 04-24-2010, 05:50 AM
JKO Addict!
 
Loki646's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Age: 46
Posts: 4,103
Garage
Feedback: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
Ok, maybe I'm naive but I don't get why matte would show scratches more than gloss. To me, it seems it would blend in more. With gloss, everything is shiny except for the scratch. Am I missing something?
No pro here, but I would say it has something to do with the reflective nature of gloss finish, some scratches become invisible at certain angles and prominent at other angles. With a matte finish, there are no reflective properties so the finish reveals the full "landscape" of the finish/surface, thus exposing more of and more pro dominantly imperfections in the finish.

*cue the paint gurus to correct me if I'm wrong*


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Loki646 is offline  
post #16 of 32 Old 04-24-2010, 06:42 AM
JKO Addict!
 
RODICON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Gateway to the Sierra's
Posts: 5,678
Garage
Feedback: 3 reviews

Sweet!

2014 Rubicon on the build!
RODICON is offline  
post #17 of 32 Old 04-24-2010, 06:55 AM
JKO Addict!
 
jeeperjkj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Browns Mills, NJ
Age: 43
Posts: 6,233
Garage
Feedback: 7 reviews

Wow, you guys must be "done" with the rig if you're already thinkin' about paint jobs.

Seriously, though... I'm thinkin' about a D60 rear ($3500), 38's ($2000), driveshafts ($1000), Avenger s/c & hood ($6k or so) plus alot more will come before the paint job.

I do think a matte orange in a similar shade to my stock paint would look AWESOME!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jeeperjkj is offline  
post #18 of 32 Old 04-24-2010, 09:35 AM
JKO Addict!
 
Moose512's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Age: 45
Posts: 2,343
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by wranglerblackout08 View Post
I want to try and find a shop that will take pictures of the whole process so everyone can see the process of a matte paint job.
From a picture perspective the process is no different from a regular paint job. From a picture standpoint!!! Any shop should have no problem doing this.

From a process perspective...99% of the success of a matte paint job is in the prep and pre-cleaning of the vehicle and a clean environment to shoot it. We give our booth a complete deep clean before we shoot a matte paint job. Painter has to do a good job because detail can't correct any of his mistakes. Also why paint job costs more because the actual paint costs less.

More about this below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
Ok, maybe I'm naive but I don't get why matte would show scratches more than gloss. To me, it seems it would blend in more. With gloss, everything is shiny except for the scratch. Am I missing something?
I am a certified painter but by no means an expert and almost all of my knowledge is classroom and not experience holding the gun. That is why I am management!!

That being said, I wouldn't say that matte shows more imperfections but the biggest issue with matte is that there is no way to correct imperfections.

For example, out on the trail you pinstripe the side of your rig with a tree branch. Happens down here on every trip we do. With a basecoat/clearcoat paint job you get home and you can buff out all but the really, really bad stuff. Almost everything comes out with a good detailing.

If this were to happen with a matte paint job you have no way to correct it. If a bird shits on your hood and you rub it off too hard you could end up having to repaint your hood.

The second issue is the actual repaint. If you only want to paint one panel, it is hard as hell to match the same details (spray distance, air pressure, etc) as the initial paint job to make sure the panel is a match to the rest of the vehicle. A "blend" does not exist with a matte paint job.

We painted this Audi a couple of months ago and the owner is very happy...


We also did a Dodge Ram, also black, and he is very happy. Vehicles see nothing but soap and water and look great to this day. These are the only two matte vehicles I have experience with and none that see offroad use. I do love the look!!

Last edited by Moose512; 04-24-2010 at 09:37 AM.
Moose512 is offline  
post #19 of 32 Old 04-24-2010, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dallas,Texas
Age: 31
Posts: 828
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose512 View Post
From a picture perspective the process is no different from a regular paint job. From a picture standpoint!!! Any shop should have no problem doing this.

From a process perspective...99% of the success of a matte paint job is in the prep and pre-cleaning of the vehicle and a clean environment to shoot it. We give our booth a complete deep clean before we shoot a matte paint job. Painter has to do a good job because detail can't correct any of his mistakes. Also why paint job costs more because the actual paint costs less.

More about this below.



I am a certified painter but by no means an expert and almost all of my knowledge is classroom and not experience holding the gun. That is why I am management!!

That being said, I wouldn't say that matte shows more imperfections but the biggest issue with matte is that there is no way to correct imperfections.

For example, out on the trail you pinstripe the side of your rig with a tree branch. Happens down here on every trip we do. With a basecoat/clearcoat paint job you get home and you can buff out all but the really, really bad stuff. Almost everything comes out with a good detailing.

If this were to happen with a matte paint job you have no way to correct it. If a bird shits on your hood and you rub it off too hard you could end up having to repaint your hood.

The second issue is the actual repaint. If you only want to paint one panel, it is hard as hell to match the same details (spray distance, air pressure, etc) as the initial paint job to make sure the panel is a match to the rest of the vehicle. A "blend" does not exist with a matte paint job.
Thanks a lot for the great information. I know I wouldn't have that many problems if I just drove it on the streets but that's not going to be the case.

A few of my friends think I should just stick with the white gloss and then do matte black grille mod, hard top, mirrors, handles, hinges, fenders and wheels. It would still look just as good IMO. Maybe not as much wow factor as the matte white.

Also I had a friend suggest I do a matte white wrap. I might go this route now that you mentioned all that stuff because if I do get a huge scratch or gash I can just get the panel wrapped again. I wouldn't have to worry about the color matching like you mentioned. Plus I now of a great shop that has done 1,000+ wraps and they offer a great warranty on all of there work.

Moose, take a look at this shops work and tell me if you think it would be worth going this route. http://picasaweb.google.com/skinzwra...mtrooperWhite#

Last edited by wranglerblackout08; 04-24-2010 at 10:11 AM.
wranglerblackout08 is offline  
post #20 of 32 Old 04-24-2010, 12:29 PM
JKO Addict!
 
oz97tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,738
Feedback: 4 reviews

Wow, thanks for all that info. I still have one question though. I've thought about the matte paint for sometime (I had an old TJ with flat OD green). In Michigan, we get scratches all the time from trees and it's just not worth buffing it out after every trip, which means my rig currently has all sorts of scratches that show up pretty easy. Will the flat show those scratches as much or hide them more? It still seems to me that they would blend in more. However, I really don't like the idea of having to completely repaint it if something does need to be fixed either. Then again, with my TJ, the scratches didn't really show up as much and that was just cheap rattle can paint.

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
oz97tj is offline  
post #21 of 32 Old 04-24-2010, 01:18 PM
JKO Addict!
 
Moose512's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Age: 45
Posts: 2,343
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by wranglerblackout08 View Post
Moose, take a look at this shops work and tell me if you think it would be worth going this route. http://picasaweb.google.com/skinzwra...mtrooperWhite#
That Stormtrooper white looks like it has potential. I don't know anything about this company but I see they have a local shop here in Miami. Curious what the cost is but it is probably expensive. I have a wrap on our shop van and it was expensive and does not look as high end as this stuff. I wonder if they stick to the 5 year warranty if I scratch it up on the trail??

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
Will the flat show those scratches as much or hide them more? It still seems to me that they would blend in more.
I don't know. Never tested this.
Moose512 is offline  
post #22 of 32 Old 04-24-2010, 01:44 PM
Granite Guru
 
tehiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: McKinney, TX
Posts: 480
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by wranglerblackout08 View Post
Moose, take a look at this shops work and tell me if you think it would be worth going this route. http://picasaweb.google.com/skinzwra...mtrooperWhite#
I wouldn't use Skinz.
I can hook you up with some local people to do a wrap or paint, or combo. There is also a new technique where you can paint the wrap. Send me a PM if you want the info.

tehiv
'14 Copperhead JKUR
'14 White WK2 Overland

formerly: 98 TJ | 97 XJ | 05 TJ | 01 WJ | 07 JKU
tehiv is offline  
post #23 of 32 Old 04-24-2010, 02:12 PM
JKO Addict!
 
oz97tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,738
Feedback: 4 reviews

So, out of curiosity, how much would a full body one color wrap cost on a jeep? Anyone have any idea?

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
oz97tj is offline  
post #24 of 32 Old 04-24-2010, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dallas,Texas
Age: 31
Posts: 828
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose512 View Post
That Stormtrooper white looks like it has potential. I don't know anything about this company but I see they have a local shop here in Miami. Curious what the cost is but it is probably expensive. I have a wrap on our shop van and it was expensive and does not look as high end as this stuff. I wonder if they stick to the 5 year warranty if I scratch it up on the trail??



I don't know. Never tested this.
They seem to have a pretty good rep from what I can tell. I'm going to drop by there shop next time they do a matte black wrap. Well I have a family friend that got his viper done there and I think it was $5K. But he also had all kinds of mopar decals added to it so that drove the cost up. I'm thinking between $2500-$3500 for a jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehiv View Post
I wouldn't use Skinz.
I can hook you up with some local people to do a wrap or paint, or combo. There is also a new technique where you can paint the wrap. Send me a PM if you want the info.
Why is that? Have you had bad experience with them? I have a friend that got his viper wrapped there and it looks sick. Hmmm... paint the wrap? Haven't heard of this process and sounds pretty costly. Do you have any pictures of this method?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
So, out of curiosity, how much would a full body one color wrap cost on a jeep? Anyone have any idea?
Depends on the shop. Jeep has pretty simple lines and most of the panels are flat so I dont think it would be too much. $2500-$3500 is my guess. Its a timely process and I would definitely go to a shop that has a lot of experience doing wraps. Pay to have it done right the first time even if it means paying more $$$. Im starting to see more shops offer warranties... Not sure if they would cover offroad damages though.

Last edited by wranglerblackout08; 04-24-2010 at 03:50 PM.
wranglerblackout08 is offline  
post #25 of 32 Old 04-24-2010, 04:34 PM
JKO Addict!
 
oz97tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,738
Feedback: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by wranglerblackout08 View Post
Depends on the shop. Jeep has pretty simple lines and most of the panels are flat so I dont think it would be too much. $2500-$3500 is my guess. Its a timely process and I would definitely go to a shop that has a lot of experience doing wraps. Pay to have it done right the first time even if it means paying more $$$. Im starting to see more shops offer warranties... Not sure if they would cover offroad damages though.
For that kind of price, I can have my jeep painted... Eeeek.

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
oz97tj is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome