Rock rail recommendations - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 07-28-2015, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Rock rail recommendations

Hi all, I have a 2015 JKUR and I am looking to get some new rock sliders. I have seen some that keep the stock Rubicon sliders and some that replace them. Not sure why you would keep the stock ones, but maybe there is a reason I don't know. I'm looking for some that are super durable and that can double as a step. Preferably, ones that stick out a few inches from the body so that uncourteous people in parking lots are sorry they parked next to me when they carelessly swing their doors open. Also, it would be great if they end right where the trimmed pinch seam is on the newer JKs and not stick out an inch or two like the factory ones. If I end up keeping the stock ones, I'm going to have to cut off that hang-over piece. You would think they would have adjusted the length when they started trimming the pinch seams. Anyway, any recommendations are appreciated, as well as pics if you have them on your jeep.

Thanks!

1990 YJ Crawler
2015 JKUR LCOG Overlander

Join our Bay Area FB group:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 07-28-2015, 02:50 PM
Rock God

I made my own but I would recommend frame mounted, preferably welded like the EVO/VKS and others. The LOD ones can be bolted and welded later.
post #3 of 26 Old 07-28-2015, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

I really love the look of the LOD ones. They just look mean. I will likely bolt for now, then weld later when I have time and a place to do it.

1990 YJ Crawler
2015 JKUR LCOG Overlander

Join our Bay Area FB group:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 07-28-2015, 03:21 PM
JKowners Vendor

Yup stick with frame mounted, if they are bolted to the body and you come down on a rock you are gonna tweak the body
post #5 of 26 Old 07-28-2015, 09:58 PM
Rock God

Unless you combo it with tub armor. I had PSC body mounted rocker knockers and have been on a decent amount of rocks with no issues.

Rescue Green 2008 Sahara Unlimited; RK 3.5 max travel; 37" Toyo Mt; PSC Brawler lite front bumper; PSC rock brawler rear w/ tire carrier; OR-Fab rock guards; Aev hood

post #6 of 26 Old 07-29-2015, 07:50 AM
Granite Guru

RPMFAB DOM SLIDERS

These are our RPMFAB DOM frame mount slider. They are weld on. Gusseted legs for reduced upstroke. $449 plus shipping
Attached Images

RPMFAB
(480)329-2992

post #7 of 26 Old 07-29-2015, 08:14 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015RubiKrawler View Post
I really love the look of the LOD ones. They just look mean. I will likely bolt for now, then weld later when I have time and a place to do it.
Your signature says LCOG overlander. If that is what you are building, then you might want to consider weight. The LoD sliders are super strong. I ran them for years. They laugh at rocks. But they are heavy. Very heavy.

I switched over to the PS rocker knocker because they are much lighter and still provide adequate strength. Will they take the abuse the LoDs will, no of course not. But they weigh considerably less. Some people will choose not to care about weight savings, or forgo weight savings in such a rock prone area. Its a choice. But your signature made me wonder if LoDs are the right tool for your application.
post #8 of 26 Old 07-29-2015, 08:19 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015RubiKrawler View Post
Hi all, I have a 2015 JKUR and I am looking to get some new rock sliders. I have seen some that keep the stock Rubicon sliders and some that replace them. Not sure why you would keep the stock ones, but maybe there is a reason I don't know. I'm looking for some that are super durable and that can double as a step. Preferably, ones that stick out a few inches from the body so that uncourteous people in parking lots are sorry they parked next to me when they carelessly swing their doors open. Also, it would be great if they end right where the trimmed pinch seam is on the newer JKs and not stick out an inch or two like the factory ones. If I end up keeping the stock ones, I'm going to have to cut off that hang-over piece. You would think they would have adjusted the length when they started trimming the pinch seams. Anyway, any recommendations are appreciated, as well as pics if you have them on your jeep.

Thanks!
I have a 2015 JKU Rubicon as well. I left my stock rubi rails on and added the Barricade Rock Sliders. http://www.extremeterrain.com/barric...k-j100289.html

I had the sliders on my 13 Sahara that I swapped off when I traded it in for the Rubicon. They are super easy to install...

This is the install post I made when I installed them on my Sahara... It's just the same on the Rubicon. However it's a lot tighter with the rubi rails so you have to adjust them slightly so there is no rubbing. http://www.jeepmomma.com/2014/09/ins...iscovered.html

I've added some pics... I can take more at different angles if you need.
Attached Images

Tammy
post #9 of 26 Old 07-29-2015, 08:50 AM
JKO Addict!

Nemesis billy rockers give me a funny feeling below
One day i will own them lol

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #10 of 26 Old 07-29-2015, 08:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Mmmmmm

https://www.nem-ind.com/products/jk-...ocker-kit.html

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #11 of 26 Old 07-29-2015, 09:53 AM
Granite Guru

I've been very happy with my sliders from JCRoffroad. They've stood up to my driving
post #12 of 26 Old 07-29-2015, 02:26 PM
JKO Addict!

I can definitely agree on the recommendation to go with frame mounted, whether welded or bolted.

If you search, there is one person who posted a thread about the poison spyder tub mounted rails where he hit a rock and f’d the tub up, through to the b-pillar and door fitment. Don’t go there.

Similar experience here with the OEM “rubi rails.” These things are a rocker panel crease waiting to happen the moment you kiss an obstacle with them. Here are some pics of my LoD rails, which have seen a fair amount of rock time. The most recent was on the rubicon a week and a half ago. In the following pics, I have indicated with red circles where the creases occur when hitting the stock rails. You can also see how much I use my rails to pivot off of boulders and such. The shiniest spots are from the rubicon.

I would also pic the LoDs over EVO. I actually was sorry for purchasing the LoDs at first because they look a little cooler and fit a little closer to the body so you can squeeze through shit more easily.

FWIW, EVOs (and likely the VKS? Someone else can confirm.) can be bolted on as well. I bolted on my LoDs and did not have any trouble drilling/tapping the frame.

I body matched the LoD filler panels with two coats of matchining white and two coats of clear. These have been used as hi-lift jack points as well on a couple of occasions.

Tales from the rubicon:
I saw another rig there with the EVO rails where he had hit hard enough to make the EVO rails contact the body and make noticeable creases. Think it was also a 4 door.

I did a bit more bumping and grinding with my LoDs on the rubicon than anticipated but there was noob factor (first run) and my rig is on the lower side of lifted plus the LoDs do stick out a bit, which makes for a great step and family approval.

You hould also pay attention to tube wall thickness. I forgot who it was on the recent run but their thin walled ACE rails were hammered and dented to f*ck.

I took on my first dent with the LoDs on the Rubicon. See last pic.

edit: to be fair in the debate between tub and frame mounted, there is also a thread out there somewhere where a person bent a frame mounted rail (EVO or LoD - don't remember) into the rocker and created a hefty divet the size of a grapefruit or so - going from memory on the thread.

I might just even repaint them at the end of the season. LOL

Last edited by White13JKUR; 07-29-2015 at 02:33 PM.
post #13 of 26 Old 07-29-2015, 02:35 PM
Granite Guru

RPMFAB SLIDER

Our DOM sliders have been dropped straight down on the rocks and we have never had contact with the body. That is why we do weld on sliders in .120 wall DOM with upstroke gussets.
Attached Images

RPMFAB
(480)329-2992

post #14 of 26 Old 07-29-2015, 02:50 PM
JKO Addict!

the one pic I saw of a bent frame mounted slider was toward the back side of the rear doors on 4 door where even the weld on models that I have seen do not have any post connecting the frame to the rail that far back. do you have reinforcement that far back?

edit: do you have any pics of the installed rails where they have actually seen some rock time?
post #15 of 26 Old 07-29-2015, 03:37 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

We have "Rubicon Tested" Mopar premium rock rails $799 Retail $748+shipping

The step isn't much but it does work in a pinch!

Also the PSC Rock Brawlers are great, a better step could do aluminum to save weight.

Pm for pricing

Name:  IMG_0058.JPG
Views: 319
Size:  601.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0060.JPG
Views: 296
Size:  69.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0059.JPG
Views: 305
Size:  90.4 KB

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #16 of 26 Old 07-29-2015, 03:38 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
the one pic I saw of a bent frame mounted slider was toward the back side of the rear doors on 4 door where even the weld on models that I have seen do not have any post connecting the frame to the rail that far back. do you have reinforcement that far back?

edit: do you have any pics of the installed rails where they have actually seen some rock time?
Name:  Slider used 1.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  96.5 KB

These are used and abused, the rear attachment point is actually further forward due to the RK long arms. I use these to push around obstacles with the rear locked, dropped down on the largest boulders in a rock garden and never have touched body!!!

Name:  Slider used 3.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  105.4 KB

Name:  Slider used.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  107.0 KB

Name:  Sliders used 4.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  85.0 KB

Name:  Sliders used.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  91.3 KB

RPMFAB
(480)329-2992

post #17 of 26 Old 07-29-2015, 04:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMFAB View Post
These are used and abused, the rear attachment point is actually further forward due to the RK long arms. I use these to push around obstacles with the rear locked, dropped down on the largest boulders in a rock garden and never have touched body!!!
cool. thanks! when I finally do destroy the LoDs (it's just a matter of time), I will check these out.
post #18 of 26 Old 07-29-2015, 04:19 PM
VKS Fab

Quote:
I can definitely agree on the recommendation to go with frame mounted, whether welded or bolted.

If you search, there is one person who posted a thread about the poison spyder tub mounted rails where he hit a rock and fíd the tub up, through to the b-pillar and door fitment. Donít go there.

Similar experience here with the OEM ďrubi rails.Ē These things are a rocker panel crease waiting to happen the moment you kiss an obstacle with them. Here are some pics of my LoD rails, which have seen a fair amount of rock time. The most recent was on the rubicon a week and a half ago. In the following pics, I have indicated with red circles where the creases occur when hitting the stock rails. You can also see how much I use my rails to pivot off of boulders and such. The shiniest spots are from the rubicon.

I would also pic the LoDs over EVO. I actually was sorry for purchasing the LoDs at first because they look a little cooler and fit a little closer to the body so you can squeeze through shit more easily.

FWIW, EVOs (and likely the VKS? Someone else can confirm.) can be bolted on as well. I bolted on my LoDs and did not have any trouble drilling/tapping the frame.

Correct, we offer a bolt-on set of our 4 door sliders

I body matched the LoD filler panels with two coats of matchining white and two coats of clear. These have been used as hi-lift jack points as well on a couple of occasions.

Tales from the rubicon:
I saw another rig there with the EVO rails where he had hit hard enough to make the EVO rails contact the body and make noticeable creases. Think it was also a 4 door.

I did a bit more bumping and grinding with my LoDs on the rubicon than anticipated but there was noob factor (first run) and my rig is on the lower side of lifted plus the LoDs do stick out a bit, which makes for a great step and family approval.

You hould also pay attention to tube wall thickness. I forgot who it was on the recent run but their thin walled ACE rails were hammered and dented to f*ck.

I took on my first dent with the LoDs on the Rubicon. See last pic.

edit: to be fair in the debate between tub and frame mounted, there is also a thread out there somewhere where a person bent a frame mounted rail (EVO or LoD - don't remember) into the rocker and created a hefty divet the size of a grapefruit or so - going from memory on the thread.

I might just even repaint them at the end of the season. LOL

We have both weld-on and bolt-on. They can be seen here http://www.vksfab.com/product/rock-sliders/ . We have never had a set fail, dent, bent, etc and we have a 400+ sets being tested daily. The material we use 1020 DOM and A36 hi-strength steel will handle anything you throw at it.

Handmade One At A Time

GIVE US A CALL 559-392-3145
post #19 of 26 Old 07-29-2015, 04:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Vick View Post
We have both weld-on and bolt-on. They can be seen here http://www.vksfab.com/product/rock-sliders/ . We have never had a set fail, dent, bent, etc and we have a 400+ sets being tested daily. The material we use 1020 DOM and A36 hi-strength steel will handle anything you throw at it.
yeah, I saw your rails on HOGGSTATUS' rig and they look badass natural and unpainted.
post #20 of 26 Old 07-29-2015, 04:54 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:

Tales from the rubicon:
That rig would be mine and I did take a hit hard enough to get contact between the tub and the rails.
I want to stress that it was a really really HARD hit!!
I think a lot of rails would of really struggled with this particular incident and would of failed structurally!

After speaking with EVO they said that the body is the part that actually moves the most on it's rubber mounts when you take a big hit.
The rail will bend just a little, but the body will move quite a lot and can cause contact.
I'm still very happy with them and we'll just say that now the body is clearanced and they won't hit again

They are mounted with about a fingers width gap to the thin pinch seam that runs along the bottom of the tub. Here's a pic of the frame mount and where it sits:

The contact underneath at the pinch seam:

Where the "leg" contacted the tub in the middle:

Front section contact, and you can see the crease from the edge of the welded plate:

Last edited by aus-jeep; 07-30-2015 at 09:32 AM.
post #21 of 26 Old 07-29-2015, 06:46 PM
Rock God

There are several copies out there.

But went with the EVO's and have held up after several years of beating on them with no issues.
Attached Images

Last edited by Descent; 07-30-2015 at 06:41 AM.
post #22 of 26 Old 07-30-2015, 10:29 AM
Granite Guru

I have the Nemesis Billy Rocker Kit. It wasn't cheap, but it has been great for me. A couple of weeks ago I slid off a rock and landed on another rock. I dropped about 2.5 feet and the entire weight of my JK came down on the passenger slider. I dented the slider, but that was it. There are some great sliders out there. I happen to really like the look of the Nemesis and of course that helped me decide. (IMHO)
post #23 of 26 Old 08-04-2015, 07:52 AM
JKO Addict!

I just ordered some VKS sliders (rock rails), and will let you know what I think shortly.

I have a friend who just put some on and likes them.

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
post #24 of 26 Old 08-04-2015, 01:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
I have the Nemesis Billy Rocker Kit. It wasn't cheap, but it has been great for me. A couple of weeks ago I slid off a rock and landed on another rock. I dropped about 2.5 feet and the entire weight of my JK came down on the passenger slider. I dented the slider, but that was it. There are some great sliders out there. I happen to really like the look of the Nemesis and of course that helped me decide. (IMHO)

Love these. The price is not all that bad compared to others. I like the outer piece can be replaced.

post #25 of 26 Old 08-04-2015, 07:34 PM
Wheeler

Lot of great sliders out there...EVO, VKS, LOD, etc etc. If you do not want to go with a weld on or frame bolt on slider....the ACE slider in conjunction with the rubi slider is a nice set up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode