dealer IS NUTS - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 04-23-2010, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
petzl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 70
Feedback: 0 reviews
dealer IS NUTS

well i told them im still having transmission noise and i want to get an aftermarket clutch. they called back they won't even install it. and the other dealer that i called says because my jeep is lifted and re geared they are not honoring my warranty. what else is new anything to get out of doing something. hence why everyone buys foreign cars. so i decided since i did my release bearing and pilot bearing myself i will just find time to do the clutch myself. now that i know how to get everything apart it should not be to bad, i am going to take the flywheel off though and have it resurfaced. just to be on the safe side. im not going to put it all back together and then have the noise again because it was coming from the flywheel. better safe than sorry.

i will be doing a write up on this so if anyone has the time and the tools they can do it them selves and hopefully save some coin.

I know a few people on here had dealers install aftermarket clutch under warranty (mind boggling to me) i guess everything in NY is just lazy.

well news to follow Cheers everyone
petzl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 04-23-2010, 11:41 AM
JKO Addict!
 
thaduke2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Upstate NY (I'm back, baby! :))
Age: 35
Posts: 2,145
Feedback: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

Hey dude. Sorry to hear. Where in NY are you? What dealership? Sounds like my local guys- Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
thaduke2003 is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 04-23-2010, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
petzl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 70
Feedback: 0 reviews

i called westbury jeep they said they would not even do it. and hicksville jeep wanted 800$$ they said it would take 8.5 hours i was like it took me 5 to do the pilot bearing and release bearing and it was my first time taking a JK tranz apart. not that i know what i have to do with it i can prob do it in half the time. the service manual says 3.5 hours for clutch disk replacement.

they are all SNAKES i hate dealing with them. i just wish i never paid for the warranty could have saved some money
petzl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 Old 04-23-2010, 11:51 AM
Rock God
 
voodoojk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ^^COLORADO^^
Posts: 647
Feedback: 1 reviews

working at a dealership and being a manager in parts...i highly doubt anyone did a aftermarket clutch under warrenty. A dealership gets paid by the Mfg ( jeep) as a warrenty claim. The warrenty claim has to show the same part number, unless superceeded, going into the vehicle as came out unless the dealership will not get paid for the part and the tech will not get paid to do the job. What likley happened, the dealership did a "goodwill" gesture towards a good customer. The Mfg alots so much money a year/month to a dealership for freebies and the dealership dispenses that money to customers however they feel it is to be used. And if the part is under suspicion, the Mfg will ask for the part to be sent back to jeep and be inspected. IF it is found out the part was not caused by mfg defect, the dealership will be charged back for those parts and the techs work. Sucks yeah...but alot of people forget that these are franchises with private owners. Just like a mcdonalds or dairy queen. There are no inside connnections and i have to buy my parts for my dealership just like you do from me. So...at a risk of doing a thousand dollar clutch job they will have to eat they dismissed it. I would suggest calling customer care and pleading your case if your certain its a mfg defect. Good luck! I been through it all with jeep and my personal vehicle. Mines a POS..lol. (AND TO CLARIFY I WORK FOR AUDI/VW NOT JEEP) and this isnt directed to you personally...just to clarify the warrenty stuff that i see on here all the time.

2007 Wrangler
Rescue Green
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3.5" AEV Lift
37" GoodYear MTR
Pro Comp 7089's
Tom Woods Shafts F&R
OR Fab Tire Carrier
Shaffer Stinger
Bulldog Winch
Buschwacker Flat Flares
Poly Tie Rod
JKS Disco
voodoojk is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 04-23-2010, 02:34 PM
Wheeler
 
calemasters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 59
Feedback: 0 reviews
why everyone buys foreign cars

If you buy an import, modifications will also affect the warranty.

Allen
calemasters is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 04-23-2010, 02:47 PM
Rock God
 
Jock191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Age: 35
Posts: 1,102
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoojk View Post
working at a dealership and being a manager in parts...i highly doubt anyone did a aftermarket clutch under warrenty. A dealership gets paid by the Mfg ( jeep) as a warrenty claim. The warrenty claim has to show the same part number, unless superceeded, going into the vehicle as came out unless the dealership will not get paid for the part and the tech will not get paid to do the job. What likley happened, the dealership did a "goodwill" gesture towards a good customer. The Mfg alots so much money a year/month to a dealership for freebies and the dealership dispenses that money to customers however they feel it is to be used. And if the part is under suspicion, the Mfg will ask for the part to be sent back to jeep and be inspected. IF it is found out the part was not caused by mfg defect, the dealership will be charged back for those parts and the techs work. Sucks yeah...but alot of people forget that these are franchises with private owners. Just like a mcdonalds or dairy queen. There are no inside connnections and i have to buy my parts for my dealership just like you do from me. So...at a risk of doing a thousand dollar clutch job they will have to eat they dismissed it. I would suggest calling customer care and pleading your case if your certain its a mfg defect. Good luck! I been through it all with jeep and my personal vehicle. Mines a POS..lol. (AND TO CLARIFY I WORK FOR AUDI/VW NOT JEEP) and this isnt directed to you personally...just to clarify the warrenty stuff that i see on here all the time.
Where does it say that someone did an aftermarket cluth under warrenty? I read that his clutch is messed up and he wants to have an aftermarket one put it.

Chicago area needs to work on the Jeep Wave!!![/
Jon, Chicago, IL The real Chicago, not the burbs
2008 Unlimited X-Black-Soft Top - Sold
2013 Unlimited Sport Hard top
Stock =(
Semper Fi
Jock191 is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 04-23-2010, 02:53 PM
Rock God
 
voodoojk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ^^COLORADO^^
Posts: 647
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by petzl View Post
I know a few people on here had dealers install aftermarket clutch under warranty (mind boggling to me) i guess everything in NY is just lazy.

well news to follow Cheers everyone
right there...at the bottom of his post.

2007 Wrangler
Rescue Green
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3.5" AEV Lift
37" GoodYear MTR
Pro Comp 7089's
Tom Woods Shafts F&R
OR Fab Tire Carrier
Shaffer Stinger
Bulldog Winch
Buschwacker Flat Flares
Poly Tie Rod
JKS Disco
voodoojk is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 04-23-2010, 06:07 PM
Granite Guru
 
St.AndrewsJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 237
Feedback: 0 reviews

When I worked for GM, we'd put whatever the customer wanted in um. IF the vehicle was still under warranty, we'd do the job free, just not warranty the aftermarket parts. All GM needed (at least in those days) was a failed GM part, which we always turned it. Done all kinda stuff that way. From Corvette regears to big block crate engines in Camaros. what mattered was as long as the part being upgraded FAILED, that's all that counted. GM would approve X amount of labor under warranty. It was up to us how to apply that labor. If the upgrade was close or the same in labor hours, the service manager simply wrote off on the upgrade, covering labor for free but noting on the paperwork that aftermarket (even GM Performance Parts) were used, and no warranty was available on that repair. Now, any warranty such as those aftermarket parts was still good through whatever manufacturer, the labor to repair it again was not covered. I've always wondered why dealers make such a simple thing a pain in the ass. It's not that difficult.

Everybody has a photographic memory. Some people just have no film.
__________________
Insist On Quality.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
St.AndrewsJeep is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 04-23-2010, 08:05 PM
JKO Addict!
 
tkob1060's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NJ :)
Age: 51
Posts: 7,281
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

the guys that have had aftermarket clutches installed had them done when the dealer did the TSB's for the throwout bearing and they've had multiple problems with it. One of them Lunkhead had his Jeep at the dealer about 6 times for the tob and clutch before they finally installed a centerforce clutch.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
tkob1060 is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 04-24-2010, 12:57 AM
Rock God
 
Jock191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Age: 35
Posts: 1,102
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoojk View Post
right there...at the bottom of his post.
aww shit voodoo Im sorry. I missed that.

Chicago area needs to work on the Jeep Wave!!![/
Jon, Chicago, IL The real Chicago, not the burbs
2008 Unlimited X-Black-Soft Top - Sold
2013 Unlimited Sport Hard top
Stock =(
Semper Fi
Jock191 is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 04-25-2010, 07:08 PM
Rock God
 
voodoojk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ^^COLORADO^^
Posts: 647
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock191 View Post
aww shit voodoo Im sorry. I missed that.
no prob

2007 Wrangler
Rescue Green
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3.5" AEV Lift
37" GoodYear MTR
Pro Comp 7089's
Tom Woods Shafts F&R
OR Fab Tire Carrier
Shaffer Stinger
Bulldog Winch
Buschwacker Flat Flares
Poly Tie Rod
JKS Disco
voodoojk is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 04-25-2010, 07:38 PM
JKO Addict!
 
paramaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Philly, PA
Age: 45
Posts: 5,049
Garage
Feedback: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
the guys that have had aftermarket clutches installed had them done when the dealer did the TSB's for the throwout bearing and they've had multiple problems with it. One of them Lunkhead had his Jeep at the dealer about 6 times for the tob and clutch before they finally installed a centerforce clutch.
i went through 3 TOBs and 2 clutches... when i was getting my trans re-built due to the clutch shredding and destroying the trans my service rep ASKED ME if i thought about an aftermarket clutch. told me to pick the one i want and they will install it at no extra charge while "they had it open"

i chose the centerforce and have had no issues since.

as for the comment petzl had about them not honoring the warranty due to the lift and regear... fuck them. ive made numerous warranty claims since my lift (no new gears yet) and have never had them mention my lift. i even had both of my headlights busted when i hit a frozen over water hole and they were replaced, under warranty, with out question. in fact the service rep said "well, it IS trail rated!"

in short, find another dealer. sounds like bullshit to me


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
paramaniac is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 04-25-2010, 07:46 PM
Rock God
 
lunkhead22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Laurel Nj
Age: 41
Posts: 1,275
Feedback: 0 reviews

I always bring the service department bakery donuts, I knew with aftermarket equipment I'd have to win the service department over. The 6 times for a clutch/TOB/Trans cost me $90 in donuts but they don't bash an eye at the aftermarket equipment. Worst case call the chrysler warranty service and explain the issues very nicely. They may send out a head guy to take a look at your addons and have to prove that was the cause. Just win them over. Kiss butt whatever helps. If that doesn't help just mention the word Lawyer. Just a thought. I sold cars for seven years and I know be friendly is the best way. Go to another dealer if one close by.

White 2012 Sahara, Switchblade rear bumper, 5 35" mud grapplers sitting in my spare bedroom waiting on my lift.
lunkhead22 is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 04-26-2010, 08:34 AM
JKO Addict!
 
maverick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Keller, TEXAS
Posts: 2,802
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramaniac View Post
as for the comment petzl had about them not honoring the warranty due to the lift and regear... fuck them. ive made numerous warranty claims since my lift (no new gears yet) and have never had them mention my lift. i even had both of my headlights busted when i hit a frozen over water hole and they were replaced, under warranty, with out question. in fact the service rep said "well, it IS trail rated!"

in short, find another dealer. sounds like bullshit to me
My A/T went out with less than 7,500... low/reverse clutch bands... Grubbs wouldn't replace it because it had a 4" lift and 37" tires. Went up to the district? service manager and he sided with Grubbs.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
maverick is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome