Uh Oh I broke it. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 04-22-2010, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Uh Oh I broke it.

SOOOO long story short, I let an old friend drive the jeep, we got stuck, took overnight to get us out of some sticky icky mud, been driving a little batty for a few weeks but I couldn't seen anything wrong except the steering wheel being off center. So, today adjusting that, I noticed my trac bar trying to rip through it's bracket... Apparently I've been driving on this for a few weeks which I'm told is a major no-no. Anyway, any ideas on where to get a new bracket, how to fix this and what I'm looking at spending?? Help?!? I'll buy ya a beer if you can help me out. =)

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c6...ent=damnit.jpg

~Jen~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 04-22-2010, 07:47 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Check out your other thread.

My sig is HUGE in Japan
post #3 of 34 Old 04-22-2010, 07:50 PM
Slow and Low

Get rid of that piece of shit frame bracket.
Bolt the trackbar back to it's original frame location, and buy a RockKrawler weld on AXLE-SIDE bracket from their 5.5" system.
I would recommend adding an adjustable track bar to the mix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 04-22-2010, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

HAHAH, Thx 4Lo. This sounds like it's not as big of a problem as I thought it was... It's pretty sturdy, stuck like *insert witty inappropriate joke here* but I'm gonna need to drive it out to a friends to get a torque wrench to get that bolt off. Do you think it's safe to rock it 25 miles on the freeway or should I call in reinforcements to my pad??

~Jen~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 34 Old 04-22-2010, 08:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMuddWrestler View Post
Do you think it's safe to rock it 25 miles on the freeway or should I call in reinforcements to my pad??
Ohyeahsuregoahead!

Take pics

SeriouslyFuckNo

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
post #6 of 34 Old 04-22-2010, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

HA!! Roger that. I guess I can thank my lucky stars for rollin 3 weeks on it and 50 miles today before finding that snafu!! Reinforcements it is... Actually sounds like a perfect Friday morning project.. and by morning, I mean 11am ish, way after the coffee in the pot gets cold and can be replaced with beer.

~Jen~
post #7 of 34 Old 04-22-2010, 08:48 PM
Granite Guru

Co4Lo is right. Get rid of the bracket and get an adjustable track bar. If you need help there are plenty of capable wrenchers in the area!

2008 Silver 4dr Rubi - 4.5" Rubicon Express Longarm, 37x13.5x17 Toyo M/T's, Dick Cepek DC-1(blk) 17x9, Prorock 44, ARB frt locker, RCV's (frt), Superior Chromoly Axle shafts (rear), Prosteer ball joints, 5.38 Yukon gears, RR Hydro-Assist, etc, etc, etc......
Wheeling Trips:

Last edited by Fishtale; 04-22-2010 at 09:09 PM.
post #8 of 34 Old 04-22-2010, 08:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Poly has a bracket to repair that!

2014 Rubicon on the build!
post #9 of 34 Old 04-22-2010, 08:59 PM
Slow and Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtale View Post
Co4Lo is right. Get rid of the bracket and get an adjustable drag link. If you need help there are plenty of capable wrenchers in the area!
NO! Get an adjustable TRACK BAR.
post #10 of 34 Old 04-22-2010, 09:00 PM
Slow and Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by RODICON View Post
Poly has a bracket to repair that!
... So does RockKrawler.
post #11 of 34 Old 04-22-2010, 09:07 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co4Lo View Post
Fishtale said we were capable but he didn't mention anything about competency
post #12 of 34 Old 04-22-2010, 09:10 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Fixed my post. I meant track bar. Thanks Co4Lo!

2008 Silver 4dr Rubi - 4.5" Rubicon Express Longarm, 37x13.5x17 Toyo M/T's, Dick Cepek DC-1(blk) 17x9, Prorock 44, ARB frt locker, RCV's (frt), Superior Chromoly Axle shafts (rear), Prosteer ball joints, 5.38 Yukon gears, RR Hydro-Assist, etc, etc, etc......
Wheeling Trips:
post #13 of 34 Old 04-22-2010, 09:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
... So does RockKrawler.
The problem with RK is that you have to use their trackbar, or at least their heim joint. The bracket is a non standard width.

If you do go the RK way the Bracket it the cheapest of the bunch and it's stout.

Since the bracket is ripped through you will want to patch it up, if you don't the brack will flex due to the elongated hole. I believe someone makes a reinforcement bracket?

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #14 of 34 Old 04-22-2010, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtale View Post
Co4Lo is right. Get rid of the bracket and get an adjustable track bar. If you need help there are plenty of capable wrenchers in the area!

AAAAHHHh!!! Snohomish?!?! I think you're the closest jeeper I've found on here!! Tomorrow I plan on just taking that bracket off and remounting it all by myself, then driving carefully until I get to a torque wrench in marysville to sinch it all down! But I can tell you I NEED capable wrenchers in the area!! YAAAAYYY!!

~Jen~
post #15 of 34 Old 04-22-2010, 09:26 PM
Slow and Low

Quote:
AAAAHHHh!!! Snohomish?!?! I think you're the closest jeeper I've found on here!! Tomorrow I plan on just taking that bracket off and remounting it all by myself, then driving carefully until I get to a torque wrench in marysville to sinch it all down! But I can tell you I NEED capable wrenchers in the area!! YAAAAYYY!!
Why exactly do you feel that you need a torque wrench? It's a track bar, just torque it "Bubba Tight".
post #16 of 34 Old 04-22-2010, 09:31 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Fishtale does good work. He's helped me install my lift and other stuff but I'm telling ya I did the floor mats all by myself
post #17 of 34 Old 04-22-2010, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

HAHA I think I'm nervous using my girly muscles sinching that thing down, paranoid it'll fall off when I'm driving, or death wobble me all the way home.... I've only done minor adjustments myself without "supervison" of a "professional" hahaaa. But ok, if I can just throw my body weight into it, I'll head up to Marysville just to drink beer =)

~Jen~
post #18 of 34 Old 04-22-2010, 09:33 PM
Slow and Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojohn View Post
The problem with RK is that you have to use their trackbar, or at least their heim joint. The bracket is a non standard width.

If you do go the RK way the Bracket it the cheapest of the bunch and it's stout.

Since the bracket is ripped through you will want to patch it up, if you don't the brack will flex due to the elongated hole. I believe someone makes a reinforcement bracket?
RK actually offers several different joint/misalignment spacer options to get you whatever width and bore diameter you need. Easy stuff... you just gotta let them know what you need.
post #19 of 34 Old 04-22-2010, 09:53 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
HAHA I think I'm nervous using my girly muscles sinching that thing down, paranoid it'll fall off when I'm driving, or death wobble me all the way home.... I've only done minor adjustments myself without "supervison" of a "professional" hahaaa. But ok, if I can just throw my body weight into it, I'll head up to Marysville just to drink beer =)
If you find yourself hungover on Saturday and the drag link I mean trackbar is still fubar'ed shoot me a PM and I'd be more than happy to throw my weight at it
post #20 of 34 Old 04-22-2010, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
Fishtale does good work. He's helped me install my lift and other stuff but I'm telling ya I did the floor mats all by myself

HAHAHAHAA well then maybe I need your assistance too!! My floormats are hanging somewhere, on some trail, or at some campsite! I'm totally going to utilize services offered in exchange for brewskis.

~Jen~
post #21 of 34 Old 04-22-2010, 09:55 PM
Slow and Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
If you find yourself hungover on Saturday and the drag link I mean trackbar is still fubar'ed shoot me a PM and I'd be more than happy to throw my weight at it
Hopefully you don't resemble your avatar.
post #22 of 34 Old 04-22-2010, 10:03 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

If you are talking about the frame side, bodyguy here in Austin, did a slick fix for this problem. Check it out:
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19894

I've bookmarked this for when I have to do this fix. Bitchen work Joe

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

Last edited by TEXASKEV; 04-22-2010 at 10:52 PM.
post #23 of 34 Old 04-22-2010, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Damn, Tex, I don't think I can make that magic happen, but that work is raaaaad. Nice work...

@ Grizz... Holleerrr!! I'll let ya know! I'll be posting tomorrow about this little adventure... I'm even going to get out of bed before 10:30am to get this party started

~Jen~
post #24 of 34 Old 04-22-2010, 10:17 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Hopefully you don't resemble your avatar.
LMAO!!!! EL NINO IS FAR BETTER LOOKING!!!!!

Wheeling Trips:
post #25 of 34 Old 04-22-2010, 10:39 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MannyLx450

Let me know if you want it

Your Rigid Industries Source

PH: 754-201-58-48
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode