Removing air dam - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 07-20-2015, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Removing air dam

Just curious how many run without one. I Personaly dont run one. Seems like it always kept getting ripped off when off roading. So i just put it in the garage. What are some of the negative effects of not running with one?

2008 jku rescue green metallic
Warn XD 9000 with Mopar front bumper
rancho 2 inch lift
skyjacker stablizer
a few other after market parts
US WVIANS ARE A LITTLE DIFFERENT THEM THERE CITY SLICKERS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-20-2015, 07:59 AM
Granite Guru

I took mine off and have not noticed any cons from doing so.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-20-2015, 08:11 AM
Rock God

Garage

A lot more hood flutter. Until I got the daystar hood wranglers.

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-20-2015, 08:18 AM
Rock God

The purpose of the JK air dam, (so named by Jeep), is to direct air under the front end.
In doing so, it reduces drag, and lowers the pressure in the engine bay.

Some people who have removed it have reported a slight decrease in gas mileage, and an increase in hood lift when trucks go by in the opposite direction.
The increased hood lift indicates an increase in pressure under the hood, which means there will be less air going through the grill and radiator. That won't be a problem until you are operating the Jeep at the upper limit of its cooling capacity. An automatic transmission is likely to be the first to suffer, especially with the pre-2012 JKs not running an aux cooler.

A metal skid plate under the bumper will do most of what the air dam was designed to do, plus give a lot more protection.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic

Last edited by ronjenx; 07-20-2015 at 08:46 AM.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-20-2015, 08:40 AM
Rock God

Garage

An air dam forces air around the vehicle. Keeps vehicles more stable at higher speeds and is also used to shape air flow to the radiator, for cooling the brakes and any other possible components (ie...transmission or power steering coolers).

An air splitter forces the air to go under or over the vehicle. By doing so, it allows for more or less down force depending upon setup.

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S

Last edited by ndtguy; 07-20-2015 at 08:43 AM.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-20-2015, 09:15 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
The purpose of the JK air dam, (so named by Jeep), is to direct air under the front end.

Some people who have removed it have reported a slight decrease in gas mileage, and an increase in hood lift when trucks go by in the opposite direction.
The increased hood lift indicates an increase in pressure under the hood, which means there will be less air going through the grill and radiator. That won't be a problem until you are operating the Jeep at the upper limit of its cooling capacity. An automatic transmission is likely to be the first to suffer, especially with the pre-2012 JKs not running an aux cooler.

A metal skid plate under the bumper will do most of what the air dam was designed to do, plus give a lot more protection.
So in effect, would removing the air dam while having a vented hood help with cooling ? I mean it seems with the higher pressure under the hood, with the vents or a louver it should help with drawing more air through the engine bay, therefore assisting in evacuating the hot air, in turn helping with cooling.
Just me thinking out of the box.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-20-2015, 09:33 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullet View Post
So in effect, would removing the air dam while having a vented hood help with cooling ? I mean it seems with the higher pressure under the hood, with the vents or a louver it should help with drawing more air through the engine bay, therefore assisting in evacuating the hot air, in turn helping with cooling.
Just me thinking out of the box.
Well, it seems it would work like that.
The question is: Do the vents actually suck air out of the engine bay at road speed?
I'm sure several combinations of vents, air dams, fender skirt mods, and large objects in front of the grill have been run by more than a few people with no ill effects.
They won't see problems until the cooling system has reached its limits.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #8 of 10 Old 07-20-2015, 09:49 AM
Granite Guru

Odd.

I thought the only purpose of the: air dam, front bumper, blocker beam was to provide job security to the garbage dudes.

My mistake.

< '81 CJ7, Chev power. Leaf springs baby!

2016 JKU Sport
The good guys: Synergy, Artec, MetalCloak, MCE
- 2.5" MC coils, Synergy arms and drag link flip.
- 37" BFG MTs on 17x8.5 -6

2013 GC... 5.7(MILF command centre)
post #9 of 10 Old 07-20-2015, 10:15 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:

This. I experienced more hood flutter, and a drop of a mpg or so.

08 JKUR

Just an asshole with a Jeep....

Rancho+AEV+Rubicon Express+Rock Krawler+Synergy+Warn,+Rough Country+Cobra+Banks+Magnaflow+Superchips+Bestop+Po ison Spyder+EVO+G2+Mopar+Yukon+WTO+Level 8+Coopers+garage wontons
post #10 of 10 Old 07-20-2015, 10:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

You nailed it.

I think adding hood vents might recoup some of the flow through the rad, but you'll still have the bad air under the Jeep and get dinged in mpg.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode