Hydraulic VS Electric Winch - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-20-2010, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Hydraulic VS Electric Winch

O.K I have searched using every key phrase and misspelling I could imagine and no luck. There are guys who swear by electric , and those who swear by hydro. I know the pros and cons of each, and of course as the screen name indicates overkill is the forte.

I have always been a hydro guy (Military Aircraft and Heavy machinery have done that to me) But what about the JK? Anybody running a hydro winch? I really like Mile Marker as I have installed a few (An XJ, A bronco and a Dodge) and used them as Warn is generally for the recovery industry. Is it really overkill for me to get one as maybee once a month a heavy weekend of wheeling is in order ... but when i get stuck .... I MEAN IT and usually it is a 12-18 hr ordeal with Come-alongs, jacks, timber of sorts, straps and anger. ... and the occasional abrasions and a burnt jacket, and a lost 9 iron. And I am done with that swill as I have finally learned my lesson.

'10 Surf 2Door Rubicon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'01
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-Vid Flexin' Muscle

6.2 liter Motec Ls swapped 2011 Jku with Rock Jock 60, Dynatrac rcv Pr44, and usual other beef on 37" MTR's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-20-2010, 11:31 PM
Administrator

Garage

The deal breakers with hydro for me are..

- The engine has to be running to pull
- They are inherently slow
- You have no, or limited steering while pulling

But in return you get superior reliability. Hydro might be for you if you get stuck the the way you claim you do.

i would like to see it if you get it so please post pics!

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #3 of 11 Old 04-21-2010, 06:21 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
The deal breakers with hydro for me are..

- The engine has to be running to pull
- They are inherently slow
- You have no, or limited steering while pulling
Same reasons I won't buy one.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-21-2010, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

How long can you winch with the engine off on an electric winch? Steering .. yes true to that but you can steer slowly .. just not F1 style turning LOL.

I was always under the impression slow and steady .. well it is slow and steady HA!

I have pics somewhere of a Dodge that came out with us. I had my cummins and this guy had a 2500 on 36" boggers. I made it through the bowl and the YJ and TJ came through with me in front. Well being the duallie is at the trail width max the two Jeeps could not get by and a 7 thousand point turn for me was a moot point. I got the other ram sunk to the frame rails ... which wasn't bad.

The bad part was a log at the bottom of this pit about a foot under the muck that slid the truck neatly to the side where a rock shelf positioned itself BETWEEN the front and rear tires making any attempt futile.

I snapped a 30,000 lb recovery strap pulling him half way out (My Truck puts out 1090 ft lbs of tq on the dyno btw) keeping the strap routed away from any abrasive anything (Anal about keeping things flat and non twisted with smooth hooking points) and shot the hook end through the dude's tailgate The canvas drop weight acted like a slingshot I suppose and was sooo thankful nobody was in the line of fire. It ended up that the winched jeep blazed a trail around me and we side winched and I pulled him out. it was a nausiatingly long day.

I gotta dig up (no punn) those pics.

Anyhow I like the things I am seeing with electric winches now a days. is there a weight advantage?

'10 Surf 2Door Rubicon

'01
<-Vid Flexin' Muscle

6.2 liter Motec Ls swapped 2011 Jku with Rock Jock 60, Dynatrac rcv Pr44, and usual other beef on 37" MTR's.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-21-2010, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolmanTim View Post
How long can you winch with the engine off on an electric winch? Steering .. yes true to that but you can steer slowly .. just not F1 style turning LOL.

I was always under the impression slow and steady .. well it is slow and steady HA!

I have pics somewhere of a Dodge that came out with us. I had my cummins and this guy had a 2500 on 36" boggers. I made it through the bowl and the YJ and TJ came through with me in front. Well being the duallie is at the trail width max the two Jeeps could not get by and a 7 thousand point turn for me was a moot point. I got the other ram sunk to the frame rails ... which wasn't bad.

The bad part was a log at the bottom of this pit about a foot under the muck that slid the truck neatly to the side where a rock shelf positioned itself BETWEEN the front and rear tires making any attempt futile.

I snapped a 30,000 lb recovery strap pulling him half way out (My Truck puts out 1090 ft lbs of tq on the dyno btw) keeping the strap routed away from any abrasive anything (Anal about keeping things flat and non twisted with smooth hooking points) and shot the hook end through the dude's tailgate The canvas drop weight acted like a slingshot I suppose and was sooo thankful nobody was in the line of fire. It ended up that the winched jeep blazed a trail around me and we side winched and I pulled him out. it was a nausiatingly long day.

I gotta dig up (no punn) those pics.

Anyhow I like the things I am seeing with electric winches now a days. is there a weight advantage?

I would assume the electric winch would have a weight advantage, but a negligible one.

Alot of the mud machines down here in FL use Hydro or PTO winches, but you don't see to many trail rigs or rock rigs using Hydro anymore.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #6 of 11 Old 04-21-2010, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Hmmm maybee hydro is going by the wayside out there in the trailworld. Technology in electric motors is ever evolving and I am sure that my old school stubborness in thinking is what is keeping me latched to hydro. Me thinks I need to research some electric setups to educate myself further.

'10 Surf 2Door Rubicon

'01
<-Vid Flexin' Muscle

post #7 of 11 Old 04-22-2010, 05:10 AM
Rock God

If you tip and need to winch back to the shiney side, you'll be wishing for an electric. A decent one will go for a bit without the engine running.

BEER Helping me do stupid things to my JK since 2007!
post #8 of 11 Old 05-08-2010, 01:40 AM
Granite Guru

im also undecided about the electric or hydro debate. my only real concern is how do the electric winches stand up to repeated dunkings and would one run under water at all? i assume that a hydro would have an advantage here as it is a sealed system.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-08-2010, 10:57 AM
Granite Guru

I have the Mile Marker 12 K. It sits hidden inside my Shrockworks bumper. Every roll over recovery I have seen (and that is all on You Tube) has been using someone else's winch. An electric is not going to pull much without the engine running unless you have two batteries and that is also limited.

My only complaint with my Mile Marker is it is slow in low range. Not a big deal because it will pull my Jeep up a vertical wall as long as I can maintain oil pressure to the engine. (Seer, have you put in a dry sump and pressure lube system, yet?) Most situations where I have needed to winch, I have been able to run the winch in high range as it is usually a matter of needing a bit of boost on slimy mud. Low range has pulled me out of thick mud when I've been buried above the axles. Works pretty good for pulling out stumps, too.

I have never had any problems steering while winching and I have the 12K unit.

The biggest advantage of the hydraulic winch is that you can run it continuously all day long and it will never overheat. If you overload it, it just stalls at the hydraulic motor and bypasses fluid like any other hydraulic motor. It will never burn up. You also do not need to upgrade the batteries or alternator. You could install a larger power steering pump but that is not necessary. With the standard pump, I get 10,500 lbs. of pull from my 12K winch. Upgrade the pump and you get the full 12K pull.

I like it.

"Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill", Bob Arnett
post #10 of 11 Old 05-09-2010, 06:37 AM
Wheeler

I bought a MileMarker Hydraulic 9500lb winch and mounted it on the Mopar bumper, which required a little cutting and grinding, but it fit. Overall it was a good choice for me as I use it mostly for long pulls. I’m somewhat of a recreational logger! The winch runs off of the power steering pump and as of yet, I haven’t had any issues with it. I’m also running the Amsteel Blue winch line, which is great stuff. I wouldn’t recommend the Hydraulic winch for off road use or self extraction, it’s a bit slow and the engine needs to be running. I’ve had Warns and Ramseys on past vehicles and had very good luck with them, except for a fried alternator from a long pull!
post #11 of 11 Old 05-09-2010, 07:41 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKDoc View Post
(Seer, have you put in a dry sump and pressure lube system, yet?)
Naw. So far the dual batteries, two snatch blocks (Anyone else like the name of these?) two tree savers and 105' of Viking Line with a Hi-lift setup as plan B have pulled me out of any problems. I do avoid mud unless I'm with lots of folk and even then sometimes. A lot of dumbasses throw logs and small trees in there to try to drive on. I will say that if you aren't running the sump and lube system, you should run accurate oil pressure and trans (if auto) temp guages for those near verticals. I've shut down once on a climb due to no pressure, but the dual batteries with the John's smart isolator were enough to get me up. The Warn Ti isn't a bad idea either. I have yet to have that little light go on, but I'm glad it's there.

BEER Helping me do stupid things to my JK since 2007!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode