Death wobble?? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 04-20-2010, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Death wobble??

So I just put my 37's on and now when I drive to about 40 I got a bad wobble. Any ideas?? Slung a wheel weight? I never had this problem with 35's. Thanks for any help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-20-2010, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Could be a missing wheel weight.....or they just haven't been properly balanced. Could also be that a couple lugs are lose, or that they aren't seated on the mounting surface properly. Also check to make sure your air pressure is the same drive side/ pass side.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #3 of 13 Old 04-20-2010, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

What is a good pressure to run? Everything seems to be seated good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-20-2010, 06:58 PM
Wheeler

I had no problems with my 35's BUT when I put the 38's on had small amount of wobble .Took fatory front lower control arms out to put adjustables in and found one of the bushings at the axle end was tore ,after new arms wobble gone.

2008 Unlimited X,38x15.5 x18 Mud Grapplers, 6sd,4.88's,4"Rough Country ,Quick disco,Cut fenders
On and On and On,
Is it really ever done?
post #5 of 13 Old 04-20-2010, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I wouldn't be as concerned with the amount of air pressure, as I would that they are bothe the same (side to side). Sometimes I run a little less in the fronts (28-30 lbs) than the rears (32-35 lbs). I occasionally do this to alleviate some of the bump-steer. Each Jeep is different and people also have different preferences. Most people like their pressure (front's and rears) to be around 32-35 lbs. But regardless....just make sure that both fronts are the same pressure, and both rears are the same pressure.

It could also as stated....be the control arm bushings, but that's generally not going to be the case unless you have higher mileage, or sometimes (more likely with an aftermarket suspension) you will run into some poorly manufactured bushings (Rubicon Express and Full Traction have both had this issue in the past).

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #6 of 13 Old 04-20-2010, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I checked all the tire pressure, they are all set the same now, I also drove it a few more times down the road, all together about 5 passes down the road and about 40 on the speedo it would wobble but a little less each time, the last time on the way home from my buddies house it barely wobbles at all, I will test it a few more times tomorrow running around town but it seems to be calming down a lot.

All the wheels are seated good, all lug nuts tight and air pressure is the same across the board. If it keeps doing it I will take it back to the shop that balanced them and have them check it out.
post #7 of 13 Old 04-20-2010, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Not trying to beat a dead horse- just trying to help.....

When I suggest making sure that they are seated, I am referring to the mounting surface of the wheel to the rotor. Also I am referring to the lug nuts, They are generally tapered on the ends, and those lug nuts need to be seated (centered) into each hole on the wheel.

I'm sure that your tire/ alignment shop will do this correctly, but it could have been overlooked initially.

Good luck.

post #8 of 13 Old 04-20-2010, 11:23 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Your Caster changed going to a much larger size could be off by 1-2* could be enough to cause a bad wobble....

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #9 of 13 Old 04-20-2010, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
Your Caster changed going to a much larger size could be off by 1-2* could be enough to cause a bad wobble....

Jason
I failed to consider that. From 35's to 37's could also create a vibration.

Do you have adjustable control arms?

post #10 of 13 Old 04-20-2010, 11:49 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I failed to consider that. From 35's to 37's could also create a vibration.

Do you have adjustable control arms?
I have an LJ similar setup......Yes JKS

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #11 of 13 Old 04-20-2010, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
I have an LJ similar setup......Yes JKS

Jason
Ah- I was asking the OP- lol. Sorry Jason. (and yea- I've seen that bad-azz LJ).

post #12 of 13 Old 04-21-2010, 04:46 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
It could also as stated....be the control arm bushings, but that's generally not going to be the case unless you have higher mileage, or sometimes (more likely with an aftermarket suspension) you will run into some poorly manufactured bushings (Rubicon Express and Full Traction have both had this issue in the past).

I only had 35k on the Jeep with factory arms. Might not hurt to unbolt them just to check the bushings.

2008 Unlimited X,38x15.5 x18 Mud Grapplers, 6sd,4.88's,4"Rough Country ,Quick disco,Cut fenders
On and On and On,
Is it really ever done?
post #13 of 13 Old 04-21-2010, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Not trying to beat a dead horse- just trying to help.....

When I suggest making sure that they are seated, I am referring to the mounting surface of the wheel to the rotor. Also I am referring to the lug nuts, They are generally tapered on the ends, and those lug nuts need to be seated (centered) into each hole on the wheel.

I'm sure that your tire/ alignment shop will do this correctly, but it could have been overlooked initially.

Good luck.
Thanks for the help, I did take the wheels off and make sure that they seated well and everything is good there. I am leaving in a bit, so I will check it out and may have my alignment checked

No adjustable's for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode