replacing hook with clevis - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 07-17-2015, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

replacing hook with clevis

I am debating wether or not to take my hook off and replacing it with a shackle. Do any of you guys use shackles instead? I believe shackles would be safer then a hook. I worked on the pipeline and never seen them use hooks only shackles. I have yet to see one fail. I am just wondering if im makeing a good choice or not? What do you guys think?

2008 jku rescue green metallic
Warn XD 9000 with Mopar front bumper
rancho 2 inch lift
skyjacker stablizer
a few other after market parts
US WVIANS ARE A LITTLE DIFFERENT THEM THERE CITY SLICKERS

Last edited by savagemark2; 07-17-2015 at 12:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-17-2015, 10:52 AM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagemark2 View Post
alright so how may of you guys took the hook of your winch cable and replaced it whith a clevis/d ring/shackle. iI just feel hooks are not made for winching but rather mafe for fishing. i would think a clevis would be at more more safer. i know thats all they use on the pipeline. And i have yet to see one fail when its done correctly. Ive seen them get so tight that its nearly impossible to get off. because some dumbass didnt turn it a half turn back. Im just curious what yall think about the hook vs the clevis. whats the downfalls of replacing your hook with a clevis. Or is there any.
savagemark2,

I'm not going to continually jump your shit for this, but that ^^^ is just fookin' lazy and inconsiderate.
Please take the following feedback constructively (as it is intended, I assure you):

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Punctuation is the difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you're shit.

Also, a wall-of-text turns a lot of people off, and they just say "fuck it" and move on before reading your question or comment. You don't need to craft literary masterpieces, but taking the time to communicate like an adult is appreciated by at least me, and quite possibly a few others here who might just otherwise ignore your questions and posts.

Just my $.02 - take it or leave it. I'll leave you alone now, possibly forever.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #3 of 21 Old 07-17-2015, 11:01 AM
Rock God

A clevis is not what you think it is , a shackle is what you are talking about .

And yes it would be the preferred item to use .

Safer and stronger IMHO .

I can't tell you how many people call them clevis when indeed they are really a shackle , even old guys that should know better .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 07-17-2015, 11:01 AM
Granite Guru

really a hook isn't safe? ever looked at a crane? but ya they must not be safe gotta use a clevis!

2012 JKU, shaved 14/SD60hp locked/spooled, 4 link Front 3 link rear, ORis all around, D3 all over, 42" SX2 tires, 20" Trail ready HD double beadlocks, PSC Full hydro
post #5 of 21 Old 07-17-2015, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
[/I]savagemark2,

Also, a wall-of-text turns a lot of people off, and they just say "fuck it" and move on before reading your question or comment. You don't need to craft literary masterpieces, but taking the time to communicate like an adult is appreciated by at least me, and quite possibly a few others here who might just otherwise ignore your questions and posts.

.[/COLOR][/I]
^X2:
I have become much more conscientious of this "stream-of-consciousness" style , run-on sentence offense over the past few years because of jkowners forum posting. I can confirm ExWrench speaks the truth about lambasting folks with a barrage of text that you probably used your thumbs to 'type' but grammar and spell checking can make a world of difference in how your post is responded to.
If you truly seek assistance or want to share your opinion on something , take the time to punctuate it and denote the correct nouns / pronouns / adjectives via proper capitalization & your forum mates will actually read what you bring to the forum versus thinking ," this guy didn't care enough to impart a good use of the English language in his topic properly so it is likely not worth reading his jibberish any further ...".
To answer your question , I have a hook but it is removable and 7 out of 10 times , I will remove it and grab one of the four shackle bolts on my bumpers to secure the crush proof loop sleeve on the line; there are many variables and scenarios where a hook can still be useful if you've got nothing to shackle bolt to....just ensure the hook is "spine down" so it'll smack into the ground from the dampener you lay across the line during your pull.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 Old 07-17-2015, 11:46 AM
Granite Guru

This is the pot calling the kettle black if I have ever seen it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
^X2:
I have become much more conscientious of this "stream-of-consciousness" style , run-on sentence offense over the past few years because of jkowners forum posting. I can confirm ExWrench speaks the truth about lambasting folks with a barrage of text that you probably used your thumbs to 'type' but grammar and spell checking can make a world of difference in how your post is responded to.
If you truly seek assistance or want to share your opinion on something , take the time to punctuate it and denote the correct nouns / pronouns / adjectives via proper capitalization & your forum mates will actually read what you bring to the forum versus thinking ," this guy didn't care enough to impart a good use of the English language in his topic properly so it is likely not worth reading his jibberish any further ...".
To answer your question , I have a hook but it is removable and 7 out of 10 times , I will remove it and grab one of the four shackle bolts on my bumpers to secure the crush proof loop sleeve on the line; there are many variables and scenarios where a hook can still be useful if you've got nothing to shackle bolt to....just ensure the hook is "spine down" so it'll smack into the ground from the dampener you lay across the line during your pull.

- offroad inspired decals for your jeep
--
2008 Unlimited Rubicon - Silver (Locked and Loaded)
2014 Unlimited Sport - Billet Silver (Mall Crawler)
post #7 of 21 Old 07-17-2015, 11:53 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

More like wall of text calling out a wall of text with many ,;.... punctuation arrows.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015
post #8 of 21 Old 07-17-2015, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

they always called it a clevis d ring or shackle on the pipeline guess i learned the wrong name for it lol glad u guys pointed that out before i made a bigger dumbass of myself lol

rancho 2 inch lift
skyjacker stablizer
post #9 of 21 Old 07-17-2015, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
savagemark2,

I'm not going to continually jump your shit for this, but that ^^^ is just fookin' lazy and inconsiderate.
Please take the following feedback constructively (as it is intended, I assure you):

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Punctuation is the difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you're shit.

Just my $.02 - take it or leave it. I'll leave you alone now, possibly forever.
so your saying my grammar is bad lol i dont take ur post as being a ass btw

rancho 2 inch lift
skyjacker stablizer
post #10 of 21 Old 07-17-2015, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

sorry for my grammar i will go back and fix it just for you guys haha dont want to give the wrong impression to everyone

rancho 2 inch lift
skyjacker stablizer
post #11 of 21 Old 07-17-2015, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Once again sorry for calling a shackle a clevis. I didnt know any better.

rancho 2 inch lift
skyjacker stablizer
post #12 of 21 Old 07-17-2015, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian-Jku View Post
really a hook isn't safe? ever looked at a crane? but ya they must not be safe gotta use a clevis!
No i havent im just trying to figure out whats best. i am sure there are good hooks out there. But the one that came with my warn winch. Seems a little cheap.

rancho 2 inch lift
skyjacker stablizer
post #13 of 21 Old 07-19-2015, 12:42 AM
Granite Guru

I use one of these. Factor 55 Flatlink. Folds nicely behind my front plate, it fits a 3/4" bow shackle. They are stronger than most winch cable hooks, and you can't lose the ends of whatever you're shackled to.

post #14 of 21 Old 07-19-2015, 12:54 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Google Image for Clevis.

Quote:
post #15 of 21 Old 07-19-2015, 06:28 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
Google Image for Clevis.
Yup, both hooks and d-rings are clevises.

post #16 of 21 Old 07-19-2015, 07:43 AM
Granite Guru

I like my hook. It's faster. We waste enough time winching anyway.
post #17 of 21 Old 07-19-2015, 10:18 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

And then again I put a hook on my fishing line, not a clevis or shackle, yet I do often used a ball bearing swivel.

Quote:
post #18 of 21 Old 07-19-2015, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

IMO Hooks are bad-news. I won't use anything that isn't 100% captured end to end. I've seen too many hook-failures over the years. Just a little bit of slack or shifting of recovery vehicle or stuck vehicle can drop a hook and send it flying back or to the side. I also don't trust the majority of hooks that have spring-loaded mechanisms to "capture" the load-source. Those things can rust, fail, become distorted, etc. I'm sure there are some great-quality hooks out there but the basic/ cheapo hooks I don't trust.

Taking a few extra seconds or minutes during a recovery can mean the difference between success and serious injury.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #19 of 21 Old 07-19-2015, 04:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Do you guys run a strap straight to the hook, or strap, shackle, hook? Reason I ask is, those little hooks that come with winch line really shouldn't have a strap connected straight to them. The break over is way too sharp (tight 180*) and only a small part of the eye (strap) is taking the load due to the curve of the hook. If you do have to go straight to the hook, treat it as if it's choked and use that rating. That rating is generally about half of the vertical rating.

Kevin
post #20 of 21 Old 07-19-2015, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I decided to take the hook off and replace it with a shackle. Just seems safer. Well safer then the hook I had on it.

rancho 2 inch lift
skyjacker stablizer
post #21 of 21 Old 07-21-2015, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeldzn View Post
This is the pot calling the kettle black if I have ever seen it.

i yam what i yam.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode