Lift Kit - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 04-20-2010, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Lift Kit

Putting a 4" Rough Country lift on my '08 Unlimited. The shop putting it on and 4wd.com have both assurred me that I would not need to change anything in the drive train at this time. I don't plan on doing anything crazy with it right now, just a few mild trails and maybe a little mud. Should i be fine to ride like this? If not on trails or mud, it should be fine as a daily driver still right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-20-2010, 12:51 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Not positive about the RC 4", but with the OEM driveshafts, the front may rub a little on some aftermarket (engine/ transmission) skid-plates during full flex- not sure though.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #3 of 15 Old 04-20-2010, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I just don't want them to snap...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 04-20-2010, 01:06 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyJK08 View Post
I just don't want them to snap...
Oh- That's not going to happen. You should be fine.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #5 of 15 Old 04-20-2010, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I had a '91 YJ and I put a 2" body lift on it with 33's Toyo and both drive shafts sheered going up a mild slope hill. I donno how this one's gunna do off road since its an automatic...

Danny

2008 Wrangler X
-3.5" Rubicon Express Lift
-Rancho RS9000XL Shocks
-Rancho High-clearance Steering Stab
-Rugged Ridge Mirror Relocation Brackets
post #6 of 15 Old 04-20-2010, 01:23 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

The JK + a suspension lift is much different than a YJ + a 2" BL. Completely different characteristics. IMO, a 2" BL is just asking for problems. I have never gone over 1". Regardless, the JK does much better with a mild suspension lift, than the TJ's and YJ's ever did.

post #7 of 15 Old 04-20-2010, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

is rough country a decent brand? i don't need top of the line things because it is a daily driver...just a play toy on the weekends

Danny

2008 Wrangler X
-3.5" Rubicon Express Lift
-Rancho RS9000XL Shocks
-Rancho High-clearance Steering Stab
-Rugged Ridge Mirror Relocation Brackets
post #8 of 15 Old 04-20-2010, 03:09 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyJK08 View Post
is rough country a decent brand? i don't need top of the line things because it is a daily driver...just a play toy on the weekends
we use rough country lifts at work quite regularly. they are very complete and we rarely have any problems. as for your driveshaft query, the front shaft can rub on the factory skid plate and or trans pan. also the boots on the upper (t-case end) cv joints tend to get pinched under flex and the rubber can fail allowing the lubricant to escape and the joint to run dry. the rear will outlast the front shaft on an unlimited. i would at least plan on a front shaft.

08 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4" Zone Offroad lift kit
35x12.50 17 Toyo MT Pro Comp 17x9 rock crawler
34x10.50 17 Interco LTB factory rubicon rims
Mt. Logan sleeve and gusset kit BDS diff guards
Warn m8000 modded factory bumper
F & R Tom Woods driveshafts
BDS adjustable upper control arms
Teraflex frame brace & draglink flip kit
Zone Offroad R coil relocation brackets
post #9 of 15 Old 04-20-2010, 04:11 AM
Granite Guru

I got the 4 rc on my 2010 rubicon unlimited you will be fine but you do need extensions for the brake lines the fronts will be tight when the lift goes on, I went with 24" fronts and 20" rears, if your gonna just do the street you wont need extensions but until you get them I wouldnt flex the front!
post #10 of 15 Old 04-20-2010, 04:19 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
The JK + a suspension lift is much different than a YJ + a 2" BL. Completely different characteristics. IMO, a 2" BL is just asking for problems. I have never gone over 1". Regardless, the JK does much better with a mild suspension lift, than the TJ's and YJ's ever did.
Is that cause BL's stretch things?

OP,
your driveshafts won't snap, but as mentioned already, you may get some rubbing that will lead to excessive boot wear and eventual failure, and you'll end up with a annoying noise. IMHO, Keep an eye on it and if it appears you are getting some wear then start saving up for new shafts now or even buy a set to keep in your "spare parts box", then if you ever have one call it quits, you'll already be prepared.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Loki646; 04-20-2010 at 04:45 AM.
post #11 of 15 Old 04-20-2010, 04:37 AM
Rock God

Garage

Honestly, I don't see how they're going to put the 4" lift on w/out the brake line extensions and w/out moving the front lines or bending the tubing.

I put my 3.25" RC on myself and had to do just that. The brake front lines were really tight. I had to disconnect the clips and bend the tubing a little, in order for them to have a bit of slack in them.

When they're done, look at everything before you leave. Turn the wheel in both directions and check your brake lines..

I Freakin' Love My JEEP!! Hey, you in the Hummer..

I Love and Miss You Brodude..RIP.

Last edited by ynkedad; 04-20-2010 at 04:39 AM.
post #12 of 15 Old 04-20-2010, 05:38 AM
Granite Guru

My front lines were tight on the RC 2.5inch lift...I made brake line extensions for it.
post #13 of 15 Old 04-21-2010, 04:58 AM
Granite Guru

on my 010 rubi the lines were just fine for the street, I put the 4 inch on it and drove it on the street for 3 months like that before i got around to puting the extensions on, just didnt take offroad or articulate then it woulda been all ssssssstrech...lol
post #14 of 15 Old 04-21-2010, 05:02 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynkedad View Post
Honestly, I don't see how they're going to put the 4" lift on w/out the brake line extensions and w/out moving the front lines or bending the tubing.
Because he has 5 posts and has no clue what he's doing and hasn't done any research on this site before posting.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #15 of 15 Old 04-21-2010, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki646 View Post
Is that cause BL's stretch things?
LOL- I just don't care for anything over 1".

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode