6 Speed - Really Stupid Question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 04-19-2010, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

6 Speed - Really Stupid Question

I have some really stupid questions about this newly acquired 6 speed JK. Bare with me here and feel free to laugh with me. It has been a LONG time since I've owned a manual.

Do you guys push the clutch all the way to the floor when you're at a light or just enough to engage it?

Do you short shift it or let it rev out between gears? Rev out as in + 2000 RPMS.

How the HELL am I going to control this thing on the rocks? Should I order a hand throttle?

If you've got any other input I'd like to hear it. I am supposed to have 3.73s with pretty new Rubicon tires and at 70 MPH I'm over 2K RPMs on the highway. 75 is about 2300. Sound right?

I'm really enjoying this thing! I jumped into our Unlimited last night and slammed my foot into the floorboard thinking I had a clutch.

08 Unlimited - Flame Red "Lucy"
2.5" RC Coils & 33" KM2 on stockers

08 JK - Stone White "The Goat"
2.5" BB, 35" MTRs on 15s, Rubi sliders - just the beginning
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keeping Austin Weird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 04-19-2010, 05:18 PM
Rock God

Thats not too far off.. for me (rubi tires and 3.73) at 60 in 6th I'm at 2000 and in 5th I'm at 2200ish.. I think I'm at about 2500 at 75. For whatever reason I always fully engage my clutch..habit mostly.. I rarely see over 3000 rpm.. I drive it like I own it so my rev out is at 2000 or lower. Only if i'm getting on a freeway do I "short shift'[ it and keep it between 2500-3200.

If you're in 4lo it changes dramatically, you can't hardly(well ok you can if you really want to) go over 5mph in 1st gear.

~ Clam
post #3 of 38 Old 04-19-2010, 05:23 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ImmortalityLTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Clam View Post
Thats not too far off.. for me (rubi tires and 3.73) at 60 in 6th I'm at 2000 and in 5th I'm at 2200ish.. I think I'm at about 2500 at 75. For whatever reason I always fully engage my clutch..habit mostly.. I rarely see over 3000 rpm.. I drive it like I own it so my rev out is at 2000 or lower. Only if i'm getting on a freeway do I "short shift'[ it and keep it between 2500-3200.

If you're in 4lo it changes dramatically, you can't hardly(well ok you can if you really want to) go over 5mph in 1st gear.
I agree 100%. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Joel
2010 Tiki Rescue World Champion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 Old 04-19-2010, 05:25 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusRTJ View Post
I have some really stupid questions about this newly acquired 6 speed JK. Bare with me here and feel free to laugh with me. It has been a LONG time since I've owned a manual.

Do you guys push the clutch all the way to the floor when you're at a light or just enough to engage it? If I'm stopped the clutch is disengaged completely and trans in neutral.

Do you short shift it or let it rev out between gears? Rev out as in + 2000 RPMS. I shift at 3k.

How the HELL am I going to control this thing on the rocks? Should I order a hand throttle? That's part of the fun of owning a manual. The days of your boring automatic are gone.

If you've got any other input I'd like to hear it. I am supposed to have 3.73s with pretty new Rubicon tires and at 70 MPH I'm over 2K RPMs on the highway. 75 is about 2300. Sound right? I have 3.73's but have 35's. Not sure what I'm doing at 75 but it's close to 2300.

I'm really enjoying this thing! I jumped into our Unlimited last night and slammed my foot into the floorboard thinking I had a clutch.
Congrats man. Manual is the only way to drive.
post #5 of 38 Old 04-19-2010, 05:30 PM
Granite Guru

If I'm not changing gears then my foot is off of the clutch! It's a good practice to shift to neutral while sitting at a red light or any time that your not going to be moving for a few seconds or more. The less you push your clutch the longer it's going to last. Sitting at a red light with your foot on the clutch will fastly wear on your throw out bearing, or so I hearN Also, you won't run the risk of your foot slipping off the pedal and causing you to hump the car in front of you!

I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made this country free
post #6 of 38 Old 04-19-2010, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I'm not gettin in front of you on the trails.

Get in the habit of completely putting the clutch all the way in. You will get used to a short shift on the hwy.

When in 4lo, you will be able to keep your foot off the clutch in 1st. Rev up when going up an obstacle, and just ease off the clutch. First gear feels really low with a stick.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #7 of 38 Old 04-19-2010, 06:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Come to K2 on Memorial Day and I'll give you some lessons lol. The drive by wire takes some getting used to on the manual, but you'll figure it out.

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #8 of 38 Old 04-19-2010, 06:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

Do you guys push the clutch all the way to the floor when you're at a light or just enough to engage it?

Do you short shift it or let it rev out between gears? Rev out as in + 2000 RPMS.

How the HELL am I going to control this thing on the rocks? Should I order a hand throttle?

If you've got any other input I'd like to hear it. I am supposed to have 3.73s with pretty new Rubicon tires and at 70 MPH I'm over 2K RPMs on the highway. 75 is about 2300. Sound right?

1) Clutch all the way in, always!
2) I short shift, (4.10s/35s) i shift around town between 1500-1800rpm.
3)Hill assist helps on the rocks, 4:1 Rubi case just makes it SOO much better!

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #9 of 38 Old 04-19-2010, 06:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
When in 4lo, you will be able to keep your foot off the clutch in 1st. Rev up when going up an obstacle, and just ease off the clutch. First gear feels really low with a stick.

I don't think his is a Rubicon, or I overlooked that.

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #10 of 38 Old 04-19-2010, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
I don't think his is a Rubicon, or I overlooked that.
Ah- yep. I didn't even catch that, but your right- it's not. My bad.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #11 of 38 Old 04-19-2010, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks for all of the input!

I didn't think about this one being drive by wire...is that what is different? I grew up driving manuals its just been a long long while since I had one. This one doesn't feel like the rest. It feels solid and forgiving and there isn't a definite disengage point that I can find.

Another question...hill start assist...how steep does the hill have to be? I was testing it earlier on some hills and it rolled backwards immediately when I let off the brake.

Thanks again guys! I feel like a tool for asking but this seems like a little different animal! I'll keep short shifting it and keeping the RPMs down. I just got back from a drive in Lucy and man was it different. LOL

Keeping Austin Weird
post #12 of 38 Old 04-19-2010, 07:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Thanks for all of the input!

I didn't think about this one being drive by wire...is that what is different? I grew up driving manuals its just been a long long while since I had one. This one doesn't feel like the rest. It feels solid and forgiving and there isn't a definite disengage point that I can find.

Another question...hill start assist...how steep does the hill have to be? I was testing it earlier on some hills and it rolled backwards immediately when I let off the brake.

Thanks again guys! I feel like a tool for asking but this seems like a little different animal! I'll keep short shifting it and keeping the RPMs down. I just got back from a drive in Lucy and man was it different. LOL
'

Its 7* or so incline for it? I find if i am stopped at a light i can push the brake pedal a decent way down, let off and when you are pushing down on it again, it will immediately be firm = HA is on.

post #13 of 38 Old 04-19-2010, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
'

Its 7* or so incline for it? I find if i am stopped at a light i can push the brake pedal a decent way down, let off and when you are pushing down on it again, it will immediately be firm = HA is on.
He he...I'm gonna try this tomorrow! I love new shit! LOL

Keeping Austin Weird
post #14 of 38 Old 04-19-2010, 07:54 PM
Rock God

Garage

FYI hill start assist is only on the '09 and newer JK. Your '08 JKs wont have it.

Proud to be One of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children 2001-2010.

Semper Fi
post #15 of 38 Old 04-19-2010, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by highoctane View Post
FYI hill start assist is only on the '09 and newer JK. Your '08 JKs wont have it.
Just don't tell my wife that...

Keeping Austin Weird
post #16 of 38 Old 04-19-2010, 08:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

You don't need it, just get accustomed to the drive by wire. When making climb from a stop, hold the break peddle down while letting out the clutch, when you feel the Jeep start to squat, ease over to the stupid peddle and add throttle as needed...don't pounce on it. Just takes some acclimation time.

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #17 of 38 Old 04-19-2010, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrahawk View Post
You don't need it, just get accustomed to the drive by wire. When making climb from a stop, hold the break peddle down while letting out the clutch, when you feel the Jeep start to squat, ease over to the stupid peddle and add throttle as needed...don't pounce on it. Just takes some acclimation time.
I just liked the thought that it was there and I was using it to con my wife into learning to drive a stick. LOL!

I'm not gonna roll into anyone personally, but I can forsee the need for a rear stinger if she's gonna drive it.

Keeping Austin Weird
post #18 of 38 Old 04-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Rock God

also with the 6 speed i have found that in 4lo if you don't touch the gas the jeep will not stall. i have heard that the computer keeps it at 12% throttle and adjusts the spark, so climbing is easy.
post #19 of 38 Old 04-20-2010, 02:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDERED67 View Post
The less you push your clutch the longer it's going to last.
X1000. And that's comin from my DD 08 with over 60k on the original clutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
post #20 of 38 Old 04-20-2010, 05:21 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by highoctane View Post
My '08 Rubicon Unlimited has HA. My buddies 07 doesn't have it.

2008 Red Rock Rubicon Unltd 6spd dual top
post #21 of 38 Old 04-20-2010, 05:42 PM
Rock God

When offroad handbrake= hill assist

I'm new to the clutch world as well. Mostly offroad practice for now.

With 37's and 5.13s I keep it at 3100 - 3500 rpm on the highway doing 80 and shift at 3500-3800 rpm.... Is that bad??

www.californiasurveillanceinvestigators.com
post #22 of 38 Old 04-20-2010, 06:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlegRock View Post

I'm new to the clutch world as well. Mostly offroad practice for now.

With 37's and 5.13s I keep it at 3100 - 3500 rpm on the highway doing 80 and shift at 3500-3800 rpm.... Is that bad??
Not sure, I shift at less than 2000rpm around town and less than 2500rpm on the highway. In comparison you're turnin some high rev's

post #23 of 38 Old 04-20-2010, 06:25 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlegRock View Post
Ha Ha! My hand brake will not hold my driveway.

Marc

2007 2 door Rubicon ROCK KRAWLER - POYL PERFORMANCE - RIVER RAIDER - POISON SPYDER - BILSTIEN - PITBULL - ACE - SMITTYBILT - BLACK ROCK - SUPERCHIPS - SPIDERWEB SHADES

post #24 of 38 Old 04-20-2010, 08:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Same here...hand brake is shit.

And I think over time, you will get used to it off road. I love it...the anti-stall feature or whatever you want to call it when it crawls on its own is a very nice feature. And if you stall, who gives a shit?

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #25 of 38 Old 04-20-2010, 08:25 PM
-T-
Rock God

Re: 6 Speed - Really Stupid Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggwhite93

Ha Ha! My hand brake will not hold my driveway.
Same here, I've come out with it in the middle of the street.

I laugh, I smile, I bounce..............JEEP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode