Thinking of taking a trip next year! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 04-19-2010, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thinking of taking a trip next year!

Hi All

Well I have been invited to take part in the 2011 Sahara Rally looks like an interesting adventure. Can anyone give advice on desert prep, not much sand over here in England. How cool does the JK run in hot conditions, (mine is a 3.8 import from CA) I am in the process of fitting a Dana 44 front and changing to 35" tyres with gears and lockers.

JK X Unlimited 3.5" RE Long Arm Lift, RE Drivelines, Rugged Ridge 17 x 9 Steel Wheels, 35" Mickey MTZ's, Bushwhacker Flares, 4.10 ratio, Rugged Ridge Front & Rear Bumpers.
TJ Wrangler 3.5" RE Lift, ARB's 4.56 ratio 33" Tyres
TJ Wrangler 5.5" RE Long Arm Lift, ARB's 4.56 ratio, 35" Tyres
XJ Cherokee 5.5" RE Lift, ARB's 4.88 ratio 35" Tyres
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-19-2010, 05:54 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

You might want to get a better radiator. The stock one is marginal as it is under normal conditions.

If you have an auto transmission, you will need additional cooling for that as well. Even if you were not going into the desert I would suggest it.

You may want bead locks so you can air down enough to float on the sand.

Take along a pull-pal http://www.pullpal.com/quotes.html and some carpet runners. I use 24" wide x 60" lengths.

Have fun, be sure to give us a full report when you get back.

2008 Rubicon, 4 door Detonator yellow, 3.5" lift, Motech LS 6L engine conversion, RR Skids.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-19-2010, 07:18 PM
Rock God

Garage

From checking out their website it seems more like an amazing trek adventure than an all out race.

With that said, I can only point you towards expedition portal check out the forum section. A lot of guys on there that run in the western part (desert) of the U.S.A. and Mexico.Also many global trekkers. They have some really nicely built rigs and you can get a lot of good tips.

My dog is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to 99 a can. That's almost $7.00 in dog money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-19-2010, 08:30 PM
Rock God

You should be thinking on keeping that sand away from the filter and intake box. Snorkel and Pre-filter would be good.

JKOutcast Member
post #5 of 9 Old 04-20-2010, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hi Guys
Thanks for the info and links, I was wondering about the radiator. Yes a snorkel will be high on the list.

JK X Unlimited 3.5" RE Long Arm Lift, RE Drivelines, Rugged Ridge 17 x 9 Steel Wheels, 35" Mickey MTZ's, Bushwhacker Flares, 4.10 ratio, Rugged Ridge Front & Rear Bumpers.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-20-2010, 07:08 PM
Rock God

I live in the middle of the desert here where we have over 100 days over 100 degrees. The stock radiator is sufficient for cooling but durability is questionable, but as noted the auto transmission needs a lot of help for that type of treking. I would suggest a tranny cooler with a fan built in.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-21-2010, 03:27 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

You will gain infinite amounts of info on this aspect of the off-roading world over at Expedition Portal as this is what they specialize in and are not merely just Jeep based.

Besides the mechanical things already mentioned above, you definitely and most importantly have to prepare for the worst case scenario and have the means to carry water and lots of it. Both for mechanical breakdown and for hydration. Fuel is another thing to consider.

It sounds like a hell of a trip and one that if it goes off without a hitch will be something to remember and if you do end up with problems, hopefully you make it back with a new learning experience under your belt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 9 Old 05-03-2010, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hi Guys thanks for the info, I have a manual trans, so that should not be a problem. I am hoping there will only be 2 of us in the JK so should have room for water and fuel, am looking at building a roof rack for the lighter items so should be able to keep the heavy stuff down low (water & fuel).

post #9 of 9 Old 05-03-2010, 05:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Turn off your ESP. It'll bog ya down in the sand.

That's all I got

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode