Impact wrench off my cigarette lighter? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-19-2010, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Impact wrench off my cigarette lighter?

I'm thinking about getting an impact wrench to rotate the tires on my JK and the wife's honda. Any input on what I should get? I've seen that they now make impact wrenches that run off the cigarette lighter of a car. Are these any good? Anybody used one?

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-19-2010, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I wouldn't want to draw an impact off the cig lighter. Makita, DeWalt, and I think Milwaukee make some good cordless impacts- charge it and go- quicker and less hassle to use since it's ready to use and not corded. JMO.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #3 of 11 Old 04-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Granite Guru

I bought an electric Craftsman impact driver/wrench for the same purpose. It plugs in to the wall socket. Works great. Have to be careful you don't overdo the nuts!

I have no experience with a 12 volt model but I bet they get hot considering what the little air compressors do. You could consider mounting an air tank and larger compressor to run an air gun if you are wanting to have it for the trail. If you don't need it for the trail, get a 110 model.

Considering my experience with rechargeable drills, I'll keep my plug in driver. But a rechargeable one might be nice for the trail.

"Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill", Bob Arnett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-19-2010, 01:53 PM
Rock God

Garage

ive got a goodyear set i received as a gift and it hooks up to an air compressor. the set looks pretty good, but i dont think my crummy compressor builds up enough pressure tho

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-19-2010, 03:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

no way I'd try it off the cig lighter

the wires running to the lighter are really tiny so they cant possibly handle much amperage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-19-2010, 09:02 PM
Rock God

Yeah get a household current model.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-19-2010, 09:39 PM
Slow and Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKDoc View Post
Have to be careful you don't overdo the nuts!
post #8 of 11 Old 04-20-2010, 05:42 AM
Rock God

I have a Milwaukee electric and it hasn't let me down yet. I really don't recommend using impacts on lug nuts though. It's easy to break the studs off. My wife wasn't able to loosen'em last time she had a flat because the place that rotated her tires used an impact.

BEER Helping me do stupid things to my JK since 2007!
post #9 of 11 Old 04-20-2010, 05:49 AM
Granite Guru

I have one of those 12V cigarette lighter models I bought several years ago. The plan was to have it in the car in the even the wife got a flat she'd have a reasonable chance of changing the tire.

First, these 12V models are not like regular impact wrenches that everyone is thinking of. They have a flywheel in them that slowly spins up (2-3 seconds) and when the flywheel hits a predetermined RPM the clutch engages and it goes 'CLICK!' Then the flywheel spins up again, clutch engages, etc, until said nut is broken loose or the user is tired of trying.

There are a couple different models out there. I can't remember for the life of me which one I bought (I can try to find it if anyone wants to know) but I know the other models didn't work as well. This one worked (it broke the clutch basket bolt loose on my dirtbike and if you've ever tried to remove one of those you'd be impressed) but it was slow. I was much faster with a 4 way wrench.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-20-2010, 06:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'm old fashion I guess when it comes to lug nuts...I still use the 3 socket style wrench and do it by hand.

/

Last edited by Loki646; 04-20-2010 at 07:21 AM.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-20-2010, 06:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

I rotated mine yesterday and broke them all loose with the tire iron and used my 14v makita impact to zip them off and then to snug them back up it gets them pretty darn tight. I want to make a hook with a insert that fits the impact quick connect that I can use on the stock jack to zip it up and down. It would save me some time and be kinda neat, a socket won't work on the square part it spins eventually.

I thought of getting one of the impacts for both vehicles incase the wife has a flat but I would rather go straight to the battery with clamps. I decided not to waste the money since the jeep tires are to heavy and some fellow jeeper better stop I don't care what era designation they drive and for her car I showed her the old foot on the tire iron and how to do it. If one snaps I'll fix it but doubt it will happen. I know it's weird and I may get laughed at but I have taught all of my serious long term girlfriends how to change a flat with the foot on the tire iron as well as drive it to a SAFE location to change the tire, a rim can easily be replaced. And also basic general car care, checking fluids, listen for new noises once I'm a while ect. I was the last one of four boys and a single mom back before it was popular and mainstream and my moms biggest saying is I can't stand a weak ass woman! So I am kinda the same way.

Sorry for the hijack shouldn't have gone into explaining I guess.

The other reason that is the biggie on the no cigarrete lighter impact would be the association of all the fires from other things plugged in there, just sayin. Rattle rattle rattle, firetruck! Lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode