Axle Regear??? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 07-10-2015, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Axle Regear???

I have a 2015 JK with a D30 in the front and D44 in the back with 3.21 gears. Soon I'm gonna be putting about a 4" lift and 37s on it. I'm just wondering if I can put a 4.88 gear in the front D30 or if I'm gonna need an axle swap? Also is the 4.88 gear good for mostly daily driver occasional off-roading?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-10-2015, 05:18 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

You can put 4.88's in a D30 you just need to get a new carrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-10-2015, 05:37 PM
Granite Guru

If you're just going to use it on the street, that will probably work. If you're going to take it off-road, you'll need axle sleeves, gussets, and probably chromoly axle shafts to beef up the D30. That's a lot of tire for a weak axle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 07-10-2015, 06:16 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

if you are going to sleeve it don't put a truss on it instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-10-2015, 06:56 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
if you are going to sleeve it don't put a truss on it instead.
Instead of sleeves use a truss? Not disagreeing, just obsorbing info for my own D30.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-10-2015, 07:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepmanJim View Post
Instead of sleeves use a truss? Not disagreeing, just obsorbing info for my own D30.

My opinion..
Truss offers more strength than sleeves, if you weld it correctly.

If I had a D30, I would add C gussets and, if necessary, re gear it and run it as is...and save for a better axle if I was going bigger than 35's. I wouldn't truss or do axle sleeves. The JK D30 weak point, again my opinion, is the ring and pinion.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-10-2015, 07:17 PM
JKowners Vendor

Same as above I would deff truss it over sleeving and add the Johnny joint kit for the upper CA mounts on the axle side
post #8 of 14 Old 07-11-2015, 08:32 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

I would choose 4.56 gears unless you don't drive over 70 on the hwy. If you wheel light you won't need to beef up the front axle just wheel it until it bends then place it with a d44 HD housing. I have several jeeps that get moderately wheeled with no housing upgrades on 37's.

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #9 of 14 Old 07-11-2015, 09:54 AM
Granite Guru

Not to hijack thread, but why does an auto manufacturer choose a 3.21 gear for a friggin offroad platform like a jeep ? Makes no sense to me other than them knowing we'll spend the coin to regear like the op is about to do, and possibly void the warranty. That way they get out of covering any legit claim.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-11-2015, 09:27 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullet View Post
Not to hijack thread, but why does an auto manufacturer choose a 3.21 gear for a friggin offroad platform like a jeep ? Makes no sense to me other than them knowing we'll spend the coin to regear like the op is about to do, and possibly void the warranty. That way they get out of covering any legit claim.

Highway MPG would be my guess

TC

post #11 of 14 Old 07-12-2015, 06:51 AM
Granite Guru

4.88 gears will make the jeep feel like a stock rubicon on 37s.

if you want it to feel like you are currently before the 37s, 4.56 is more accurate.

i would recommend 4.88 and weld on the arctec axle armor kit or something while the axle is down. i know plenty people with slightly beefed dana 30s on 35s and 37s doing just fine.

2013 JKUR Billet Silver ->
[JKUR - 6 Speed][3.5" MC ARB Lift][40" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" TR Beadlocks][5.38s][Fusion 4x4 Kingpin 1 Tons][MC Front & Rear Bumpers][sPOD][Warn Zeon 10s][And more ...]

|
post #12 of 14 Old 07-12-2015, 01:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullet View Post
I think Jeep looks at the Rubicon as the off road platform. The other models are probably looked at as cars/mall crawlers. Plus as said already, the 3.21's help with mpg #'s and also total fleet mpg #'s.

To the OP, the only difference between the D30 and D44 is the R&P size, everything else is the same. So you can weld whatever you want on the outside of the housing, the weak link is still inside. That said, I'm still riding on an untouched D30 with 37's and the tires before that were 39.5 IROKs. I just try to be smart when beating on it. I would never put a locker in the front, that's when you get to really test the D30. YMMV

Kevin
post #13 of 14 Old 07-12-2015, 06:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Axle Regear???

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post

To the OP, the only difference between the D30 and D44 is the R&P size, everything else is the same.

D30 has 27 spline axle shafts.
Rubi D44 has 30 spline.

U Joints are different too

TC

Last edited by TCdawg; 07-12-2015 at 06:13 PM.
post #14 of 14 Old 07-13-2015, 05:03 AM
Granite Guru

When you regear you will need a new carrier (3.73 and up). It would not be very much more to put in a Truetrac LSD at the same time. Beats putting in and paying for a open diff carrier in. The Truetrac part number you want is 912A585.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode