Where to start? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 07-09-2015, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Where to start?

I figure this is a real noob question but I am new to jeeps and off roading in general, I believe in doing things right and doing them one time, so my question is how do I prioritize my build I donít want to do things twice and I want to know what the first stages should be when building a jku.

Heres the specs of my current JKU

Year: 2012
Model: jku sport
Lift kit: 4.5 readylift (junk, came with jeep)
Wheels: wrangler duratrac 35's on granite wheels (came with jeep)

Other than that stock

Purpose of build: it is my DD but I want it to be able to handle any Trails that I throw at it with all the mandatory recovery and armor equipment and parts needed, I am not looking to do any rock crawling.

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-09-2015, 01:16 PM
Granite Guru

im in the same boat as you, my jk is also my DD, camping and fishing jeep, with minimum rock crawling once in a while....

35s on the JK look very nice, but fuel economy suffers.... of course we didnt get a jk for fuel economy, but anyways, its something to consider...

my jeep came with 33s, and im just installing a 2.5" lift... some say the 33s are good with the stock jeep, and they are, they fit without any modification and the jeep looks nice... but some trails do require a little bit more gorund clearance... if i were you, i would change the 4" for a 2.5-3" quality lift (im installing a Rock Krawler), and keep the 35s, or maybe even replace them for 33s.... most of the trails dont require more....

also, depending on the terrain, a winch could be a nice addition. im building my front bumper as soon as i finish installing the lift, with a Warn M8000 on it. i had it on my YJ and then on my Xterra, and its definitely worth it. some say 8000 lbs is not enough for a JKU, but i also have a snatch block, i think it would be enough for my needs.

if you are not going to do any rock crawling, body armor would be a waste of money and an increase in weight = fuel economy suffers again. im only going to fabricate rock sliders because i dont like the stock plastic ones, and because i have the materials laying around....

then you could add some aux lights, and some storage inside... if you carry some tools, under the rear seats you can fit the small toolboxes, i used velcro to keep them in place...

basically thats how im building mine, with a similar goal to yours....

2007 JKU, 2.5" Rock Krawler lift, 285/70 17 mud terrains....
post #3 of 11 Old 07-09-2015, 01:32 PM
Wheeler

My suggestion. Armor it up. Why you ask? The factory bumpers are a joke. My coleman coolers are more durable than stock jeep bumpers. I usually find myself retracting when I make statements like "I don't plan on Rock Crawling". You will be on vacation and find a really cool trail nearby, that is when the damage begins. Armor is the best thing IMHO. Plus when someone in a car rams your beloved jeep, the 3/16" American steel bumper will barely be scratched and their car is totaled.

Here is my latest retraction. I don't plan on going any larger than 37" tires. Well, I'm planning a build that eventually incorporates dana 60 axles, just in case, cause I'm beginning to lean 40. The most expensive thing you can do is spend money twice. Select a good product and you will have it for a long time.

Just some food for thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-09-2015, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I figured a good quality lift is the first order of business, and yes the armor would be for what I might encounter. I just don't plan on seeking out any huge rock piles since that's not the wheeling im into im more into the exploration see where the trail takes me type stuff. Also gearing is a must since the 3.21s suck with 35's.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-09-2015, 01:48 PM
JKO Addict!

What is the end goal in terms of tire size?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-09-2015, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Is a 37 that much more capable than a 35?
post #7 of 11 Old 07-09-2015, 02:13 PM
Rock God

Garage

I would get rid of those stock side steps. Even if you don't do any rock crawling going over a rock on the trails the wrong way will crack those plastic steps. That is the first thing I damaged in my Jeep. I was lucky they didn't push up into my door. I love my rock sliders! Plus they look badass!!!

Tammy
post #8 of 11 Old 07-09-2015, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

I totally agree the only reason I haven't taken them off yet is my wife is just 5 foot and she needs them to get in and out of the Jeep as soon as I have some rock sliders those would be the first thing to come off
post #9 of 11 Old 07-09-2015, 03:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge103 View Post
Is a 37 that much more capable than a 35?
Yes with that said, you should probably take a look at people wheeling the trails you want to hit and see what tires they are getting away with. I dont know the trails by you but a 35 will get you pretty far. A 37 will get you just about anywhere and a 40+ starts getting you into trouble

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-09-2015, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Alot of the trails around my neck of the woods are just that woods mud streams some rocky areas etc. But I so want to travel to some of the offroad parks up here in the northeast.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-09-2015, 03:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge103 View Post
Alot of the trails around my neck of the woods are just that woods mud streams some rocky areas etc. But I so want to travel to some of the offroad parks up here in the northeast.
In that case, 35s should be more than enough for you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode